Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64EX 1.4 released

Nice work Kaiser.

I must say though that the comparison image is hardly fair/balanced. For a start, the screens of the Absolution TC use a completely different aspect ratio are different dimensions and have an ungodly high gamma. If you intend to show a fair comparison I would suggest that you re-take those screenshots.

The TC screenshots were taken from Doom Depot's site.

If anyone has some recent screenshots of the TC, then post them here and I'll compare them side by side with the N64 and D64EX versions.

Wrong gamma/resolution or not, it still shows that the lighting is completly off. Take a look at the screenshot from the second level. See how the blue light is coming from the ceiling and not the floor? That isn't true in the actual game

Also ideally you would take screenshots from the game running on an actual N64 through a capture card, not running on an emulator. I would but I don't have the cartridge.

Kaiser said:

* First re-run wadgen to generate a new iwad

That was the reason. Thank you. It is a big leap from the first version, this version runs much better. Keep going.

InsanityBringer said:

Wrong gamma/resolution or not, it still shows that the lighting is completly off. Take a look at the screenshot from the second level. See how the blue light is coming from the ceiling and not the floor? That isn't true in the actual game

Indeed. However, that is irrelevant to the point I was making regarding useful comparisons.

I'm not taking anything away from Kaiser's work on Doom64EX. I completely agree that it is much closer to the original game than the TC is.

Run TC 1024x768 on Radeon Mobility 9600 without problems.
Trying to run Doom64 EX 1.4
stdout.txt hang on this > V_InitGL: Starting OpenGL

doom64.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point glVertex2fv could not be located in the dynamic link liblary openlg32.dll

Any suggestions ?

Arch-Valentine said:

There seems to be a weird spit sound occasionally when I play. Sounds like an audio error. Otherwise this is very well done.

That could be the USF playback thread. An alternative to that is to use MP3/OGG music playback instead.

1) at hectic level game save sometimes corrupted (this happen at least twice)
2) after beating hectic with right way (3 keys), there is no Features menu apper in game.
3) brightness level dosn't save
4) in display menu Windowed always ON (ever in fullscreen)
5) usf playback really bad, music disappers (i use mp3 from doomdepot and happy)

Great work anyway! Congratulations!
Plays just like original PC Doom.

It's too bad, that developers do not put Archviles in game (my favorite enemy).

Caesar007 said:

1) at hectic level game save sometimes corrupted (this happen at least twice)

Re-download from sourceforge. I made a few updates which should resolve the savegame bug.

Caesar007 said:

2) after beating hectic with right way (3 keys), there is no Features menu apper in game.

Noted. I'll have that patched today

Caesar007 said:

3) brightness level dosn't save

Works for me. Just don't use out of range settings (like setting i_brightness to 800 in the console. It should only range from 0 to 100.

Caesar007 said:

4) in display menu Windowed always ON (ever in fullscreen)

I'll have that patched today as well.

Yeah I also had crashes up the butt on the first level and Hectic. Usually when saving or loading. Noticed in your bugs.txt that it may be due to using Mp3's. I have yet to find ogg versions of the soundtrack and the USF sounds terrible.

Also, the features menu is quite bugged. When trying to use health bonuses or weapons it goes from 0 to 100, I don't even understand what the "100" is supposed to mean, but it gets stuck there. Also, enabling Jump on the features menu doesn't work, you have to manually edit it in the ini, which is also what you have to do for many of the options in the menu. Scrolling gamma up doesn't also do anything on my PC, I have a
2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB RAM(dunno how fast, but it's quite fast)
Nvidia 7100
Windows 7 x64 Beta

Lastly, on MAP03 I walked into the blue door and fired at a caco with the chaingun, after killing the first caco I walked in turned left and tried to kill the 2nd. However, for some reason the sound completely bugged out and Doom64 EX stopped responding and crashed, I had to CTRL+ALT+DELETE and exit out of it. I'm sorry that this isn't very specific, but perhaps it can help you in some way.

MP2E said:

Also, the features menu is quite bugged. When trying to use health bonuses or weapons it goes from 0 to 100, I don't even understand what the "100" is supposed to mean, but it gets stuck there. Also, enabling Jump on the features menu doesn't work, you have to manually edit it in the ini, which is also what you have to do for many of the options in the menu. Scrolling gamma up doesn't also do anything on my PC, I have a
2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB RAM(dunno how fast, but it's quite fast)
Nvidia 7100
Windows 7 x64 Beta

Lastly, on MAP03 I walked into the blue door and fired at a caco with the chaingun, after killing the first caco I walked in turned left and tried to kill the 2nd. However, for some reason the sound completely bugged out and Doom64 EX stopped responding and crashed, I had to CTRL+ALT+DELETE and exit out of it. I'm sorry that this isn't very specific, but perhaps it can help you in some way.

Though a bug, it should display 100% instead of 100, but thats the normal behavior in the original game.

Redownload Doom64EX again, the gamma settings now works in the menu.

As for the sound bug, are you using mp3 playback?

Kaiser said:

Though a bug, it should display 100% instead of 100, but thats the normal behavior in the original game.

Redownload Doom64EX again, the gamma settings now works in the menu.

As for the sound bug, are you using mp3 playback?

I'm not, just regular USF out of the IWAD. It wasn't the music that borked however, I think it was something to do with the sounds. The music wasn't the thing that bugged out, it was the sound of the chaingun and the cacodemon's pain sound that sort of bugged out and then Doom64 EX crashed. Also thanks, I will be sure to redownload :) This is easily my favorite source port so far.

I had bookmarked your site since the 1.1c alpha, and I thought this was never going to come out. Kaiser, I can't even begin to describe just how excited I am about this release. Aside from all the fixes, it has been my dream to be able to play Doom 64 coop over a network, and you've made that a reality, thank you.

On a more serious note, I was wondering if you were going to fix a few things:
-the bug where some corpses crushed by doors float in midair afterward
-improving the bloodstain transition effect
-having the cyberdemon in the intro NOT kill the marine in the corridor with the first rocket
-making the Doom logo at the end of the intro continue to zoom out slowly, instead of suddenly speeding up
-perhaps including a feature to have someone's name pop up when you look at them in multiplayer?

I was also concerned if you found anything regarding the main menu music not playing in MP3/OGG mode, seems like a simple error to me.

MP2E said:

... it was the sound of the chaingun and the cacodemon's pain sound that sort of bugged out and then Doom64 EX crashed. Also thanks, I will be sure to redownload :) This is easily my favorite source port so far.

Sounds like the SDL/SDL_mixer thread contention crash, which is a known problem and is already being addressed by Kaiser. Do you have a multicore CPU by any chance? :)

IRANianCha0s said:

-improving the bloodstain transition effect

Easier said than done unfortuently. I already struggled enough trying to get that effect to work and yeah I know it could of been better. Its also not easy to study as no n64 emulator out there can reproduce this effect.

IRANianCha0s said:

-having the cyberdemon in the intro NOT kill the marine in the corridor with the first rocket

Its a timing issue. The n64 has a way different clock speed than the PC and trying to get that to be exactly in sync with the original version is almost impossible.

IRANianCha0s said:

-making the Doom logo at the end of the intro continue to zoom out slowly, instead of suddenly speeding up

Normal behavior on the original game. I could double check just to be sure but the script for that is taken directly from the original game.

IRANianCha0s said:

-perhaps including a feature to have someone's name pop up when you look at them in multiplayer?

I was actually going to get that implemented but I have to get the player name to properly display on all clients first :P

IRANianCha0s said:

I was also concerned if you found anything regarding the main menu music not playing in MP3/OGG mode, seems like a simple error to me.

This is related to a SDL_Mixer bug on multi-core processors. I will be patching that in the current download later today.

As per the recommendations of the documentation, I am converting the mp3 soundtrack from doom depot into ogg. Perhaps when I am finished I should put it on megaupload?

This version is leaps and bounds better than the old one. I can actually run it at 1920x1080 (Though I have to manually edit the configuration file)

Yeah I converted the mp3 to OGG and its way better. mp3 support on SDL_Mixer is just pathetic.

Since more than one person has converted the mp3s to ogg, could someone please upload the ogg music wad to a place like mediafire/rapidshare?

Kaiser, what does Doom64EX aims to "Be the stepping stone for original open source FPS games" mean? I was surprised to see that there.

sector666 said:

Since more than one person has converted the mp3s to ogg, could someone please upload the ogg music wad to a place like mediafire/rapidshare?

Kaiser, what does Doom64EX aims to "Be the stepping stone for original open source FPS games" mean? I was surprised to see that there.

I am now uploading it to rapidshare. I will post the link when it's done uploading.

sector666 said:

Meaning that eventually Doom64EX will be branched off into a seperate engine in which it can be used to create original games. Kinda like Codeimp's Bloodmasters.

Mike.Reiner said:

I am now uploading it to rapidshare. I will post the link when it's done uploading.

Thanks dude really appreciate it. And hurray, the new uploaded zip fixed my saved games.