Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Snarboo

Looking for an old castle map, possibly part of a megawad.

There's an old map I remember in the late 90's that I've been having trouble finding. I was hoping someone might know the map I was thinking of. To start with, it was a castle map for Doom 2 that may have been part of a larger megawad. I'll list off features I remember for it:

• It was a castle or keep on an island.
  • I remember it being a level halfway through a megawad, possibly on map 10, 11 or 12.
  • It was not Icarus' map 14, or Alien Vendetta's castle map, but it was similar.
  • The castle was not symmetrical, with one half having a kitchen and dungeons, and the other mostly being the castle walls and towers.
  • There was a courtyard in the center.
  • Towards the end, after finding a key to open the exit, you had to fight a cyberdemon, but you could kill it in a nearby crusher.
  • You might have had to fight into the castle first by crossing a bridge or going through caves on the island.
  • There were a lot of fights on the castle walls.
  • The map was about medium size, about the size of Inmost Dens overall, maybe a little bit bigger.
  • It was most likely for vanilla Doom, as I either played it in Doom 95 or doom2.exe at the time.
  • I don't remember the map using custom textures.
  • I remember the map having the first Doom 2 sky.
  • The map or wad might have come from D!Zone 2, which I had at the time.
I know a lot of this isn't specific, but hopefully this will ring some bells. Any help is appreciated, and thanks for your time. :)

Edit:
Updated with some more info.

Eternal Doom? MAP12 is what your description reminded me of, but other maps in there are castlely (MAP10 etc).

Those weren't it, but again, they were very similar. Thanks for your help, though.

I find it strange that if it was part of a megawad, that is the only map I remember. If it helps any, I don't remember the map using custom textures, and I think it used the first Doom 2 sky. I'll keep checking the megawads I have.

Snarboo said:

• It was a castle or keep on an island.
  • The castle was not symmetrical, with one half having a kitchen and dungeons, and the other mostly being the castle walls and towers.
  • There was a courtyard in the center.
  • Towards the end, after finding a key to open the exit, you had to fight a cyberdemon, but you could kill it in a nearby crusher.
  • There were a lot of fights on the castle walls.
  • The map was about medium size, about the size of Inmost Dens overall, maybe a little bit bigger.
  • It was most likely for vanilla Doom, as I either played it in Doom 95 or doom2.exe at the time.
  • The map or wad might have come from D!Zone 2, which I had at the time.
I know a lot of this isn't specific, but hopefully this will ring some bells.

The loudest bell it rang in my head was Excalibur - especially the cyber and crusher at the main gate. I've seen that map in a few Doom/Doom2 compilation megawads and IIRC, you start in the dungeons and have to fight your way out.

GreyGhost said:

The loudest bell it rang in my head was Excalibur - especially the cyber and crusher at the main gate. I've seen that map in a few Doom/Doom2 compilation megawads and IIRC, you start in the dungeons and have to fight your way out.

I ran through the map, and I believe you are right. This matches a lot of the details, especially the main gate with the Cyber ambush. It's not exactly as I remember it, but I might be getting it confused with another castle map. I could have sworn the kitchen was different, and actually lead to the castle walls. Otherwise, it matches.

Thanks man. :)

GreyGhost said:

The beginning of that map looks almost exactly like the beginning of Map06 in Army of Darkness Doom, and some of the architecture looks like Map02 of the same. That might be the source of your confusion, Snarboo.

I'm thinking I also got it confused with another castle map. I'm really surprised by how many castle maps follow a similar theme and even look similar.

Edit: I had forgotten just how many castle maps Alien Vendetta had in a row. I had them all jumbled in my mind as some kind of super map.