• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Doom on TV Tropes

1: Click link to tvtropes main page.
2: Read.
3: ?????
4: You have now wasted fourteen hours browsing the damn site.

Tropes said:

Tele Frag - The final boss in Doo M 2 utilizes this to kill cheating players. It was also first coined in Doo M multiplayer matches.

I don't ever recall that happening...

Planky said:

I don't ever recall that happening...

My guess is that a troper remembers being telefragged while godmoding, and thought it was because he was cheating, not because he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Telefrag damage bypass all forms of immunity, but that's not something most players will know since monsters can't telefrag you (except in MAP30) and cheating is usually disabled in multiplayer games.

In short: did not do the research.

Heh, I giggled at the quote at the top:

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."
- Terry Pratchett

I had never heard that before.

The "was first coined in multiplayer matches" was fine. It refers to players telefragging each other, which was obviously the first way player became familiar with the phenomenon, considering it was possible even before DOOM II.

Da Spadger said:

4: You have now wasted fourteen hours browsing the damn site.

Very true.

Terry Pratchett said:

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."
- Terry Pratchett

I love that quote. I found it last year. His books are amazing, but that quote elevated his net worth in my eyes even more.

The funny part is REoL is so infamous he gets mentioned on that site. It's on the Small Name Big Ego page. :D

In the Doom community, there are some people that could apply, but not one of them is as notorious or fitting of this trope as George Fiffy, a.k.a. King REoL. His abrasive behavior and delusions of grandeur have gotten him banned not only from the leading Doom community sites (multiple times,) but also from... just about every website on the Internet he's been to, most notably Something Awful. It doesn't help that his levels generally aren't considered very good. He once had a rant-filled homepage on which, among other things, he infamously claimed to be "the Metallica of Doom," but sadly, it died after AOL shut down its site-hosting service.