Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lüt

Attention peons!

these forums are so negative! why can't you give rewards to those who are good? I believe rewarding a kid for doing good is better than punishing him for doing something bad. And you all know we are kids at heart. =]

You can't...upload avatars...by any chance, can you? =)

Damnit, if all of you want a damn avatar upload page why not make one and send it to Linguica?

You can't...upload avatars...by any chance, can you? =)

Damnit, if all of you want a damn avatar upload page why not make one and send it to Linguica?

If I actually knew how to make one, we'd have had one six months ago.

Attention peons!

Quit talking to yourself :) J/K

0h gn0! It's teh r3v3ng3 of teh 2nd gradd insults!!!!!!!#$#@$#

OK, I guess I'll try and make one, I never actually tried making something like this before, but I consider myself pretty good with HTML so I'm getting to work on it. Hoopefully he'll like it and end up using it.

I'm thinking of doing this in JavaScript. Actually, wouldn't it just be a better idea to have a text box in which you could write in the URL of the image you would like to use as your avatar??

Any retard can make an HTML upload page, the main thing is the backend.

i can't :P

Actually, wouldn't it just be a better idea to have a text box in which you could write in the URL of the image you would like to use as your avatar??

Gotta agree, it would be the best solution in every way. Simple to set up, simple to manage, simple to use.

I'm thinking of doing this in JavaScript. Actually, wouldn't it just be a better idea to have a text box in which you could write in the URL of the image you would like to use as your avatar??

But wouldn't the point of an "upload" page be so you can upload avatars from your hard drive?

Any retard can make an HTML upload page, the main thing is the backend.

I can't, so that must mean I'm not a retard :P

umm yeah, but so what? you can upload it to a different site (such as tripod for example) and just provide a link to the gif or jpg file in your profile. The avatar would then be displayed here. This would prevent flooding of avatar submissions from occuring and doomworld.com wouldn't have to store the avatars and waste space (even though the space is supposedly unlimited). Or in the best case you could have both options of uploading the file to doomworld (the upload access to the dir in which the avatars are stored would be open to everyone and not just Ling) or providing the link to the place where the file is being kept.

Mods can ban now? Great, now I remember why i dont come here anymore...

k, in that case can I use your avatar? =]

But orion, the problem with using a URL of an avatar that has been uploaded to Tripod or somewhere is that you'd need some method of keeping the avatar 32x32 or under however many kilobytes the limit is.

The solution, you may think, would be to set the size and width attributes of all of the avatars' img tags to 32 and 32. That won't prevent, however, someone from putting in the URL of an 800x600 image that would still take just as long to load and having everyone view that on a tiny 32x32 space.

if you browse through the dir with the avatars you will see images larger than 32x32. There are also mods to keep this thing under controll. And despite what you think there is a way of getting a file size limit (which is even better than having a dimention size limit), I believe doomcenter.com has a method of doing that. Only problem is I don't have a clue how you would go about getting such a thing, but I am sure there is a way. Ling should be able to figure it out, it is his site after all.

actually, the best thing to do is stop bothering ling about this stuff. If I was him I would have lost my temper a long time ago and would have gotten rid of avatars all together. There's a big library of them right now, they should suit us fine.

But orion, the problem with using a URL of an avatar that has been uploaded to Tripod or somewhere is that you'd need some method of keeping the avatar 32x32 or under however many kilobytes the limit is.

The solution, you may think, would be to set the size and width attributes of all of the avatars' img tags to 32 and 32. That won't prevent, however, someone from putting in the URL of an 800x600 image that would still take just as long to load and having everyone view that on a tiny 32x32 space.

The avatars are 36x36... but anyway. Just ban the retards who'd fail to use avatars with common sense.

I seem to remember that you can even upload images as avatars once you reach a certain postcount, so I ain't complainin' about the availability of avatar pics.

Only thing is that I'm probably too stupid to know how I upload an avatar pic once I reach that postcount.

Oh, and in reaction to the headline of this thread (Attention Peons!):

"Darbuh!"

Is there such thing as incomplete ass?

We're all incomplete asses in some ways.

i like girls with tight asses. Anyway, whose avatar am I using now? Is this DreamDestroyer's? I miss some old forum hangers, like PainoMan...

I seem to remember that you can even upload images as avatars once you reach a certain postcount, so I ain't complainin' about the availability of avatar pics.

Only thing is that I'm probably too stupid to know how I upload an avatar pic once I reach that postcount.

Not on this message board, you can't...as of now, there isn't any way to upload things unless your name is Linguica.

I don't get this. Lüt posts a statement that people who make lame posts get screwed, yet this very thread is full of useless posts?

I think our definitions of "lame" differ. What I meant when I was complaining was about people who would make non-stop attempts to turn every thread into something sexual and perverted, or flood with replies like "what's doom2 and where can I download it?!?" Yeah everybody posts chit-chat posts, that's the point of the forum. There's hardly ever a thread that doesn't veer totally off-topic after 20 or 30 replies. That's not what I was complaining about at all - just stuff that would turn away potential registrants to the forum. I kinda think of it like "What if somebody from id came here to browse the forums? Would they be interested in participating or would they leave and never come back?" I just try to keep the stuff that would scare people off to a minimum.

Why aren't you on-line, Lüt? Or do you have yet another screen name that I'm not aware of.