Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

Possible to make a multi-payer instant death trap?

I'm not a huge fan of instant-death traps in general. The only true instant death trap is the self-telefrag. This is all well and good, but there's one problem: I don't think it's possible to duplicate in multiplayer. Specifically, deathmatches.

I have an arena floating over a void. If the player falls, they should die. Right now I have some -10%/-20% health lava down there, but it's not the same. I want them to DIE! Not over a period of time... instantly. Or as close to instant as possible.

Any ideas on traps that come close to this?

Aside from using a source port that allows instant death, you could use DeHackEd to add invisible things in the pit which inflict huge amounts of damage on players falling in. They might die before they hit the floor, though, or maybe even while just standing at the edge, because monsters can hurt you from ledges (except when using an engine that changes this behavior, of course).

Go to edit sector, then in the effects section pull out the "special" tab, and there should be a selection called "Instant death". it should be action 115.

MarinePrime said:

Go to edit sector, then in the effects section pull out the "special" tab, and there should be a selection called "Instant death". it should be action 115.

I'm on a library computer right now, but that sounds very source port-ish... But I'll take a look when I get home.

Similar to what myk said, I guess you could just replace the archviles soundfx with blank .wavs, change all it's sprites to blank graphics, then you don't see or hear what kills you by the time you get down there.

EDIT: actually you'd still hear the rocket explosion, unless you replace that, but I don't think you'd want to do that assuming there are rocket launchers in your map.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

The only true instant death trap is the self-telefrag.

Telefragging a stack of several barrels (one might not be enough)?

Heck you could even make KamaSutra-styled barrel traps. I'm not sure how they do it in KS, but I can think of one way to do it off the top of my head. Put a group of barrels a couple map units away from teleports, then put a crusher over one of them. Make the crusher be triggered by a linedef the player walks over. After that one barrel explodes from being crushed, the rest will be moved by the chain reaction, themselves exploding as they cross their respective teleporting linedefs and teleport to where the player triggered the crusher.

Problem in deathmatch is getting this to work more than once, though.