Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Creaphis

I've played Doom only the devil knows how long and still haven't figured this out

Does strafing provide any protection against hitscanners? Getting behind cover obviously helps, and I suppose it would also be smart to maneuver directly N, S, E or W of the enemy so that he can only hit one face of your square hitbox, but aside from that. Do hitscanners "lock on" to a certain direction a moment before they fire, giving you some tics to move away, or do they aim (with some amount of random inaccuracy) and then fire in one tic?

I'm pretty sure that strafing doesn't help, but I'm basing that only on what I've experienced playing, not actual digging in the code.

The attack codepointers of the hitscan enemies (A_PosAttack, A_SPosAttack, A_CPosAttack) call A_FaceTarget, so: no, it doesn't help.

However, straferunning means you're exposed to them for a shorter amount of time (provided you're running from cover to cover), and in that way it does help.

If they would miss behind, it would have become quite apparent now, and nightmare mode players would have devised tactics of running very fast past squads of hitscanners. The only defense against them is the duck-and-shoot tactic.

From my experience of playing with fastmonsters, I prefer catch distance in wide open area between me and hitscanner ahead by zigzaging movement, seems it helps a bit. But I doubt what strafing itself is a reason.

On Nightmare the monsters shoot fast as hell, since most hitscan monsters are inaccurate, when they fire, their missed shot may hit you.

Hit scan monsters should be treated like archviles. Their aim is ALWAYS dead on, it's how innaccurate their weapons which doesn't kill you instantly. For chaingun guys, your best defense is to get out of its sight as quick as humanly possible. He will continue shooting for an extra second and a half, then you can poke your head out and fight em again. Try to keep as little of yourself exposed as possible, and make sure you have a corner in the map that you can quick slip behind when you encounter them.

For shotgun guys and zombie men, you can drink a lot of Red Bulls so that you are extra alert and can move out of the way as soon as they make the indication to attack. But like Christoph said, against all zombies, distance is also a formidable defense, but hardly guaranteed to save you.

The only monsters that rely on human error to be a threat are projectile monsters, but your only defense against zombies is distance and moving out of their sight.

It would be nice if the shotgun guys and zombiemen didn't face target as they were shooting, but only in that moment where they aim their gun.

JohnnyRancid said:

For shotgun guys and zombie men...

Kill them, before they kill you.

JohnnyRancid said:

It would be nice if the shotgun guys and zombiemen didn't face target as they were shooting, but only in that moment where they aim their gun.

You can do a modification at any time.

printz said:

You can do a modification at any time.

If you edit the source code. It's not something that can be done with DeHackEd or most Doom ports' scripting languages, since it's directly in the codepointer.

I hate hitscanners.. try play E3M8 Ultra Violence on a Pistol start.. you better be good at gettin to that middle pillar cause its really hard.. well for me it was.

David_Dweedle said:

I hate hitscanners.. try play E3M8 Ultra Violence on a Pistol start.. you better be good at gettin to that middle pillar cause its really hard.. well for me it was.

Just gave it a shot. I got the Baron to infight with him long enough for me to use all the rockets and plasma on the spider demon, and that did the trick.

It was a little interesting because I never tried that level on a pistol start before.

I prefer to find some cover. Not only is it more tactically sound, it's also exactly what I learned to do in other shooters, so I don't need to change my tactics to play the majority of Doom wads.

GhostlyDeath said:

On Nightmare the monsters shoot fast as hell, since most hitscan monsters are inaccurate, when they fire, their missed shot may hit you.

Then how is it a missed shot?

Bucket said:

Then how is it a missed shot?

Infighting, they miss their target and you happen to be right there, thus they miss the monster and hit you.