Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

E1M3 Acid Pit

You must post in this thread if you died in there at least once before.

I died there when attempting the glide shortcut. Otherwise, I don't recall doing so. I never played E1 all that much in the early days.

Do the sides count, or only the middle that can be raised?

The one near the start, or the circular one? No matter, I'm pretty sure I ended up in both when I first played Doom...

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT I WAS LIKE SEVEN THE SUN WAS IN MY EYES THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT I SWEAR

myk said:

I never died there, ever.

Not everyone godmodes all the time, myk.

I went in there to see if Doom was one of those "there's always a way out" kind of games. I'm guessing you know what I found.

myk said:

I never died there, ever.

says the guy who posted here.

Raise your hand if you IDCLIP out of pits like that and take the damage as punishment ;)

Which is only to be expected if you forget how the cheat's spelt - oops - maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that.

IDSPISPOPD is the only way to do it in vanilla Doom 1!

Well anyway, I remember dying in the pit once, a long long time ago.

When I first played the game, I explored very thoroughly. I have died in those pits (and many others) a multitude of times.

Yup.. and on the SNES too, since that was the first platform that I experienced Doom on.

I actually can't remember ever dying there...I think I always load before I die. But I will assume that I have, at some point along the line...

Me and a friend would take turns playing SNES Doom, and whenever he left to do something, I would make him fall into that pit and call it a "picnic."

Yeah, what

Lüt said:

I was going to ask which one, but I've died in all of them.

Yup.

I'm trying to remember, the big oval one with the switch... it used to have a different (buggy IIRC) mechanism for raising it. What was it again?

In at least one early version of the IWAD there was a switch on the right as you came into the donut area, which would also raise the middle slime.

There are videos on YouTube showing all sorts of engine bugs, depending on your savestate and the state of the switch and seemingly random things as you enter the pit.

Sometimes it would raise, sometimes it do silly things like lower thousands of units so it felt like you were falling to the center of the earth, sometimes it would even raise to the sky and just keep on scrolling the texture.

Edit: Here's the video. Turns switch was on the exit side too.

I think I died, in both pits, while trying to find secrets! I also accidentally fell in that ellusive blue pit in E3M3. Afterwards it became apparent that POISON means, or should mean, 'don't fall there'.

My nostalgia grows every day... why?

I fell in the outside oval pit, but it was posthumous to the days of discovery as it were. I was being cocky since I felt I was a master of the game at that point; musta been several years ago, certainly after the golden days. I don't know that I have ever fallen in the beginning one. I feel like I must have tho, and probably early on when first playing Doom, although maybe not... I remember always being super careful not to. We needs to make more classic E1 wads. Do it! Now! Come on! Yeah!! (I suck at the edit otherwise I would >.<)

Aliotroph said:

No, that's too cheap. I IDSPISPOPD out of there and take more damage as punishment!

lol!

I honestly can't remember if I have died in it, but it remains my fondest and most vivid memory in the original Doom to date. It's probably my favorite area in an original Doom map. Ever.

A load of times I tried to land on the medikit in the center pit to get the "ouch" face to appear (like the Doom 1 demo demonstrates). :P