Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snarboo

1994 tune-up challenge (*updated /idgames link*)

Is this a good idea?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• Yay
    • Nay

Gez said:

So that explains the oddities I've seen in Claustrophobia's Skyscrape level.

Heh. It's also good to place the dummy sectors far away from the accessible map. The "thunk" movement sound will come from the center of the sector, so by moving the merged dummy sector far away you ensure the sound will also be far away.

I believe Zdoom automatically silences instant movers unless a compflag is set, so be sure to disable that if you're testing in there. There's also a generalized sector special in MBF that silences sector sounds (one for all sounds, another for sector movement only); that's not strict Boom, but afaik all modern boom compatible ports support it.

esselfortium said:

Make sure you set your bridge's outer edges to block monsters to keep them or their corpses from popping up or down when the bridge moves,

Well, that's certainly an ideal solution if your map wouldn't suffer of limiting monster movement (for example you can make the PEs and their lost souls in Claus map16 useless by running behind the bridge and waiting them to come close). Sometimes, though, you just need to conscious sacrifices for realism for the sake of gameplay. ;)

Also, on the subject of bridges, I'm not sure if this happens only in some ports (witnessed it in ZDoom myself) but if you're standing inside a self referencing sector, you become completely invisible to monsters. They'll keep walking around, but they won't attack you while you can safely attack them as long as you stay inside that sector. Thus it's preferable to keep those sectors as small as possible (2x2 or so).

So whats everyone doing so far as far as 'tuning-up'? As of now I'm basically changing the texture's of many of the rooms to make the map have a more consistent map theme, while jamming some sectors into some of the rooms to make them more appealing to the eye. I haven't touched any of the monsters or items yet, I will probably get on that later on. Here's some screenshots of what I've done so far:

Dominique's
JohnnyRancid's

I didn't know how I could have incorporated crates the way she did, I might throw some crates in there to better influence what kinda design she had in mind.

Dominique's
JohnnyRancid's

Utilized mid textures to create something more along the lines of what she was apparently aiming for.

Dominique's
JohnnyRancid's

I plan on utilizing cement textures more throughout this map, so I figured it would be best to start here.

Pretty sweet stuff there, Johnny.

I'm essentially doing the same thing you are, but it's a lot harder considering that my map has lots of weird angles. Pics soon.

Oh, and what is the deadline for this project?

That looks pretty great so far, Rancid. I might do a picture comparison of my map when I get a little bit further.

Right now I've removed all of the items save the players starts. I wanted to redesign the gameplay, and having to move all the actors every time would have been annoying. I'm trying to add a few new areas to the map to expand on some of the areas already there, such as the sewer area and tech areas.

I'm not trying to add too many details to my map. In fact, I think making it look like a '96 map is best.

Edit:

Mr. Freeze said:

Oh, and what is the deadline for this project?

None so far. I would like to see this finished by the end of the year, but if it takes a little longer, that's fine. If I do set a deadline, it will depend on the number of participants and maps being made.

JohnnyRancid said:

So whats everyone doing so far as far as 'tuning-up'?

Here are two pairs of images showing different views of the first area in both the original COMCON.WAD and my remake...

BEFORE: 1 2
AFTER: 1 2

This project looks really cool. I think I will sign up for a map. :)

Snarboo said:

I pick this one. First one I downloaded, so I will just stick with that one. :P

Alright, you've been added Torn. :)

My jaw literally dropped when I saw your map, Herring! It looks fantastic so far.

Wow I thought mine was coming along pretty good but then I saw some of you guys' maps.. Anyways, here's what I have so far. Still got quite a bit to do:

Before
After

Before
After

Before
After

The original map actually looked pretty great for the time if you ask me. Also besides changing the overall look, I've slightly edited some of the monster placement, and I added an extra secret (not like it really needed it, but I just couldn't resist). Also, one of the first areas plays out slightly differently now.

JohnnyRancid said:

So whats everyone doing so far as far as 'tuning-up'?

So far I'm only at the first step of "tuning-up" the level. Getting rid of misaligned and clashing textures and flats and altering one particular badly-designed hallway that just hurts my sensibilities. I'll only start thinking about new textures and details after that.

Okay. This is my final word on it: i'm taking melange, as last night i dreamed of the final product. I'm not backing down this time.

edit: i tried to send an e-mail to the original author, but it could not be delivered. What should i do? i proceed, or i try to find another map?

That email is from 1994, dude. I wouldn't expect him to answer, providing its even still around.

A bit of a bummer, tbh. It would be cool if the original authors saw our WADs.

I want to grab Xenomorph 'The complex' as well, seems like a small map that could use quite some extra. It also had a sky included, so I guess I will use that one. :P

It is an ultimate doom map, should we put in doom2 monsters or leave it as it is?

Torn said:

It is an ultimate doom map, should we put in doom2 monsters or leave it as it is?

While this is being compiled for Doom 2, the gameplay is up to you. If your prefer it playing like the original, then you don't have to add Doom 2 monsters.

Torn said:

I want to grab Xenomorph 'The complex' as well, seems like a small map that could use quite some extra. It also had a sky included, so I guess I will use that one. :P

GreyGhost has already taken that level. Check the first post.

Krispavera said:

Wow I thought mine was coming along pretty good but then I saw some of you guys' maps..

I wouldn't worry about it, that looks great!

The Green Herring said:

He can take the same map as another person but I would like it if Torn finished his first pick before picking a second. However, I'll try and remember that you wanted "Xenomorph", Torn. :)

Edit:

maggot202 said:

edit: i tried to send an e-mail to the original author, but it could not be delivered. What should i do? i proceed, or i try to find another map?

Don't worry about e-mailing the author if they have granted permission to modify their map. While it would be nice to contact them, I don't expect any of them to use the same e-mail address they had in 1994.

The Green Herring said:

You're allowed to work on the same map as another person. Check the first post.

Snarboo said:

He can take the same map as another person but I would like it if Torn finished his first pick before picking a second. However, I'll try and remember that you wanted "Xenomorph", Torn. :)

Well, I changed my mind, sorry. Can I have this one instead, sorry for the problems.

Snarboo said:

Bridge of Death

Small level. Reminds me of a low rent version of Military Base.

But the one I picked first had too much that needed to change. Maybe I will return to it sometime later.

Krispavera said:

Wow I thought mine was coming along pretty good but then I saw some of you guys' maps.. Anyways, here's what I have so far. Still got quite a bit to do:

Before
After

Before
After

Before
After

The original map actually looked pretty great for the time if you ask me. Also besides changing the overall look, I've slightly edited some of the monster placement, and I added an extra secret (not like it really needed it, but I just couldn't resist). Also, one of the first areas plays out slightly differently now.

Why did you ditch the Heretic textures...?

Krispavera said:

Are those the right photo pair? They look nothing alike, and I don't mean that in a good way. It's just not the same layout at all.

printz said:

Why did you ditch the Heretic textures...?

Because it's part of the rules.

I was looking at some of the maps people are doing. Props to Snarboo and ArmouredBlood for picking such bad maps.

Helipad is kinda short which should make it not all too difficult, but it's jampacked with unaligned textures and various mapping errors. I'm excited to see what you can do about them.

I'm really excited to see what can be done with elements. A lot of weird shaped rooms. The only rooms that look like they have any hope are the yellow key room, the exit room, and the hallway leading into the exit. I'm excited to see what you are visualizing.

Command Control and Xenomorph "The Complex" are so easy! Plenty of wide open spaces and empty walls, and lot's of apparent inspiration, and the gameplay as it currently is is fine. Though I do look forward to seeing what details you add in there. You guys better work your ass off for those maps.

Then, sign me up as well, IF the deadline is late ahead.

What map do I want to edit? A beautiful day in the neighborhood? Really? Well, I can, because GEM lets me (in the text file; I didn't email him!)! Here's the link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=1189

Notes:
- it's originally for Doom, like all 1994 maps are supposed to be, but I'm porting it to Doom 2 so I'm able to place chaingunners and freaks
- I'd really use SKY4 from Thy Flesh Consumed. But I couldn't. Original Boom doesn't support sky switchers, but if we love MBF, then so be it; use them!
- If this project started as a 1994 tune-up test, why not make it further into a KDiZD-styled ambition? More specifically, are we allowed to add new challenges, as long as the map keeps her hopefully intended personality?

Gez said:

Are those the right photo pair? They look nothing alike, and I don't mean that in a good way. It's just not the same layout at all.

The first one was a bad swervy hallway. The second one is that same hallway, doing the same thing, but less swervy looking. I didn't change its function or gameplay.

Several of the suggested levels appear to actually be from 1995. Is this because the the "1994" concept of the project is flexible, or just a mistake?

It makes quite a difference to the levels that are up for grabs.

I was wondering when someone else would notice that.

Meanwhile, there are many more 1994 maps that weren't uploaded that year, but were uploaded in the late 2000s by funduke. You can find a list of them here (in ascending order) or here (in descending order.)

printz said:

- I'd really use SKY4 from Thy Flesh Consumed. But I couldn't. Original Boom doesn't support sky switchers, but if we love MBF, then so be it; use them!

I didn't realize that Boom couldn't do custom skies. Do most ports support MBF features? If not, we can choose 3 themed skies and place maps based on participant preferance.

- If this project started as a 1994 tune-up test, why not make it further into a KDiZD-styled ambition? More specifically, are we allowed to add new challenges, as long as the map keeps her hopefully intended personality?

You can make the map as detailed as you choose and you can also add new areas as necessary. Try not to turn the map into something of Deus Vult proportions, but work with what you have. :)

Edit:

Capellan said:

Several of the suggested levels appear to actually be from 1995. Is this because the the "1994" concept of the project is flexible, or just a mistake?

It's for flexibility. I decided to let participants choose from a few Doom 2 maps if they would rather work with one. There's also not much of a difference between 1994 and early 1995 maps.