Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snarboo

1994 tune-up challenge (*updated /idgames link*)

Is this a good idea?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• Yay
    • Nay

Krispavera said:

Dunno if this happens to you but I found some nasty slime trails in that map. I haven't looked at the original map yet, so I'm not sure if you caused that or not, but you might wanna have a look at those sectors? Otherwise, I'm liking some of your ideas. I particularly thought that room with the runic inscriptions in the ground was pretty neat looking.

Oh snap. That stupid sector with the deep lava that had the cross again I bet. Thing was bugging me all day and thought I got it under control. Back to the drawing board.

And lol traversd, first time I played origwad today, and it has a HoM in it =/.

EDIT: hokay, so the problem is the source port. Apparently the 'deep water' effect works in gzdoom/skulltag and jdoom, but when I tried it in prboom it HoM-ed. I never actually tried prboom before this so it was an interesting experience ... anyway I'm not sure what to do here, this wad is supposed to be boom compatible right? I could just take out the effect if needed, although it's something interesting to add. Or if someone could tell me how to fix it to work for boom (I think zdoom will play it any which way for boom right?) I can keep it in.

ArmouredBlood said:

EDIT: hokay, so the problem is the source port. Apparently the 'deep water' effect works in gzdoom/skulltag and jdoom, but when I tried it in prboom it HoM-ed. I never actually tried prboom before this so it was an interesting experience ... anyway I'm not sure what to do here, this wad is supposed to be boom compatible right? I could just take out the effect if needed, although it's something interesting to add. Or if someone could tell me how to fix it to work for boom (I think zdoom will play it any which way for boom right?) I can keep it in.

Wait, Boom should be able to support deep water via a self referencing sector. I hope I didn't steer you wrong, AB.

This is looking great so far! I'll try and upload shots of my map tomorrow. Right now I'm going to bed.

Interestingly, I made a small testwad with self-referencing sectors in boom config with DB2 and it worked fine with prboom 2.5.0. Now I prefabbed the map sectors into a new boom config map, deleted a doom 2 config self-referencing sector, made a new boom config SRS, and shazam, the boom config SRS works while the doom 2 config one doesn't. weird. Also tested the boom config SRS in skulltag and sure enough BOTH work ... anyway I'm just going to shift the map to boom config for now. I thought it might be the node builders but it's the same ... I should check the sector data in xwe next. Maybe it detects something different. But I'll do that tomorrow, almost 1 AM here. Laters.

I think my map is finished. Playtest it if you'd like. There's 502 monsters on UV, 289 on HMP, and 241, on HNTR. Mostly zombies, imps and demons with a cacodemon, hell knight, and revenant here and there. The map is pretty long. Let me know if you think there is too little ammo and health. Also let me know if you get lost anywhere, if so, take a screenshot of where you are (preferably from the automap)

The Tunnels Tuned Up

The Tunnels Original

Nice job! Props for making those bland mazes into something interesting/possible to navigate. Great detailing there too, and quite a challenge on UV!

My level is almost finished, I just have a couple more areas to.. bring to life.

I've been working on and off on my map, and I'd like to show y'all my progress. Not a lot of pics, as the map isn't quite at my level of detail yet.

Blue Key Room:

Before
After

Starting Area:

Before
After

Oh, and if anyone wants to do a secret level, I have a few ideas.

Mr Freeze. those screenies are looking good.

In fact most of the screenies I have seen on this thread look good.

So I have a quick question: I'm a little new to this compilation stuff, and I'm also not certain exactly what map slot I'll be occupying in this wad (I'm assuming 10). I want to know whether I should put the music in my wad as if it were for Map01, and the compiler will fix it later? Or if I should put it in for Map10, and make my map on Map10 now..

Pardon my ignorance. :>

Krispavera said:

I want to know whether I should put the music in my wad as if it were for Map01, and the compiler will fix it later? Or if I should put it in for Map10, and make my map on Map10 now..

Don't worry about this as testing will determine that. Once most of the maps are submitted, we will place them on the right map based on difficulty most likely.

masayan said:

a little.

Before

After

The "after" shot looks very flat compared to the original. Also, I don't like how the ceiling structures are mostly symmetrical to the floor ones; it looks weird, especially considering that the shape is clearly based around the floor texture.

I just finished your map, JohnnyRancid, and I like it! You handled the maze sections very well, and I never got lost. I'm impressed by how close the layout is, too. It's nearly identical!

I ran into one problem, though: I managed to teleport to the room with the red key door without the red key, and was promptly stuck. I did noclip out and find the switch that lowered the pillar with the red key, so it's not difficult to find. I recommend adding a teleport back out in case this happens to the player.

Snarboo said:

Don't worry about this as testing will determine that. Once most of the maps are submitted, we will place them on the right map based on difficulty most likely.

Cool, and where exactly will I be submitting my map? Or will I just upload it and link it here? (I don't mean to drill you, but I'm just one of those people who needs all his facts straight.)

Krispavera said:

Cool, and where exactly will I be submitting my map? Or will I just upload it and link it here? (I don't mean to drill you, but I'm just one of those people who needs all his facts straight.)

When you feel your map is done or ready for testing, please zip it up with the original map and its text file, then upload it here.

Good stuff. :>
I have a tendency to overthink things that are ultimately quite obvious.

Anyways, map is coming along quite nicely. Picked out some music for it, and I've made some of the cryptic level progression a little more obvious with hints. Heh.. this is fun.

I'm a bit hesitant to let you modify that map. The .txt file doesn't give enough information, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Would you consider working on another map?

I played through the current version of your map AB, and it's pretty good! I hope you can work out the problems you were having with the deep water, as it works really well.

There's only a couple of things I'd touch:
-When you use the star elevator, something else is tagged as a lift and drops as well. I can't actually see it, but I can certainly hear it.
-The door in the lava chamber leading to the marble room before the cacodemon room has the cracked, glowing lava as its floor, which looks strange.

If you can fix those problems, I'd say we'll have our first, finished map. :)

Thanks for detecting that. That was a result of the enormous number of useless vertices that were used in this map. They really had no reason to be there. Line is impassible now :)

Thanks for noticing that problem Snarboo, when you play the map knowing all the objectives beforehand you never end up in that spot without the red key. I changed the left most door so that you can operate it without crossing the line. It just teleports you into the maze where you can find the switch that lowers the red key platform, so I found no reason to make it operated by a walking over a line that's impossible to get to without the red key.

I also found a few places that weren't textured exactly the way I wanted and fixed those. Unless anyone else has input on things that haven't been said yet, I think the very final version of the map is done and just needs to be uploaded.

EDIT: That being said, I had already gotten to work on a second map: Ultima 1 by Jon Charlson (Chaff).

That's great to hear, Rancid. I've marked your map on the roster as being finished for the time being barring any huge bugs that have gone unnoticed. :)

Edit:
One thing I did want to ask is you is if you are using MBF's transfer sky for the custom sky in your wad. If not, please do so, as most ports are compatible with that feature.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Unless, you can manage to contact the author and convince him to give the permission to you, it is not okay.

I think it would be almost impossible to contact the author as with many back then. Since his name is unique I could find him on FB (which I couldn't). Alot of these people have totally forgotten about Doom since 1994. I'm not sure if the author would really care to be honest. But I'm leaving it alone. Back to WOS.

You people work so fast. I'm still very much in the process of tuning up my map. Most of the rooms are done now, but there are still two BROWNGRN textured cave areas that I'm not sure what I want to do with. And it's still lacking the level of detail everyone else has given their maps.

Solarn said:

You people work so fast. I'm still very much in the process of tuning up my map. Most of the rooms are done now, but there are still two BROWNGRN textured cave areas that I'm not sure what I want to do with. And it's still lacking the level of detail everyone else has given their maps.

I hope you put a crusher on the invulnerability sphere in the giant room. It was just SCREAMING crusher at me and it didn't go :( A regular crusher on the invul sphere sector itself wouldn't do it justice though, has to be some crazy 4x4 crushers activated at different times to get the right feeling of worth for that invul sphere.

Anyway I think you can do a lot with that map, all those extra rooms with not much of a point to them can be strung together in a nice way. As good as the idea of a non-linear map is, doom's gameplay doesn't favor it much imo.

As far as detail goes, I'm thinking a lot tall windows to the outside and quite a few holes in the ceiling. A dark sky would really help the feel. Adding some metal or flesh textures would work well too, maybe some skin ones also. You might want to go more high tier enemies for that style though, there were too many non-chaingunner humies.

Now, for why I'm really posting: Got the map compatible in prboom! Here it is. I'd get some SS but I got to get to bed. At this point I'm pretty much out of things to detail unless I want to completely revamp the final staircase, I think everything else is good. Snarboo I checked the tags but only the lift has those tags, I'm not sure what you're hearing =/

EDIT: was gonna change the 4x4 crushers remark to '4 crushers per direction', but then thought, what the hell, 4x4 crushers would both be awesome to see a hundred in a sector that large and a ***** to get through if the timing is slightly off on the activation.

ArmouredBlood said:

I hope you put a crusher on the invulnerability sphere in the giant room. It was just SCREAMING crusher at me and it didn't go :( A regular crusher on the invul sphere sector itself wouldn't do it justice though, has to be some crazy 4x4 crushers activated at different times to get the right feeling of worth for that invul sphere.

Anyway I think you can do a lot with that map, all those extra rooms with not much of a point to them can be strung together in a nice way. As good as the idea of a non-linear map is, doom's gameplay doesn't favor it much imo.

As far as detail goes, I'm thinking a lot tall windows to the outside and quite a few holes in the ceiling. A dark sky would really help the feel. Adding some metal or flesh textures would work well too, maybe some skin ones also. You might want to go more high tier enemies for that style though, there were too many non-chaingunner humies.

Now, for why I'm really posting: Got the map compatible in prboom! Here it is. I'd get some SS but I got to get to bed. At this point I'm pretty much out of things to detail unless I want to completely revamp the final staircase, I think everything else is good. Snarboo I checked the tags but only the lift has those tags, I'm not sure what you're hearing =/

EDIT: was gonna change the 4x4 crushers remark to '4 crushers per direction', but then thought, what the hell, 4x4 crushers would both be awesome to see a hundred in a sector that large and a ***** to get through if the timing is slightly off on the activation.

I just made it one big crusher (getting the timing right for hundreds of small crushers would be an impossible task for me), replaced the invulnerability sphere with the yellow key and put the sphere in one of the corner rooms. But I made the trap nasty in other ways. >:] In general, I got the most work done on that room. It had the most promise of all the rooms and I think I managed to do that justice.

Getting the wooden areas at the start to look good was horrible though. I didn't want to lose the wood textures because they gave the area a nice E3-ish feel, but that made aligning everything a bitch, even after subtly reshaping the room and the corridor below it.