Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snarboo

1994 tune-up challenge (*updated /idgames link*)

Is this a good idea?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• Yay
    • Nay

I've decided that everyone should check in with their progress once week, probably on Sundays. This is just to see how everyone is doing and get a status report from those that haven't posted one yet.

Just about finished with Elements, been thinking about some music to put to it but haven't decided on anything. Also should put some difficulty levels in ...

When I'm done with that I think I'll work on FortBorg. First bit needs a lot of work but the last bit and the full room crusher look interesting to work with.

JohnnyRancid said:

kay. Final version of the map.

The Tunnels

Would you kill me if I made an animated lightning sky for one of my next maps?

Was playing through it and got stuck here.

That teleporter doesn't seem to teleport me, and I don't know any other way out?

Snarboo said:

Edit:
I've decided that everyone should check in with their progress once week, probably on Sundays. This is just to see how everyone is doing and get a status report from those that haven't posted one yet.

I'll see about posting some more screenshots soon. Retexturing is coming along nicely, and I've added some more detail to a few areas. I'm still debating on which textures to use in the corrupted portions of the base; the original used a lot of REDWALL and MARBLE2, I'm thinking about going with a flesh theme, but I might keep the marble areas marble. Some parts of the map are a bit too cramped for my taste, I want to redo those too.

I need to post screenshots, myself. I tend to like to have something finished before showing it off. Speaking of which, the layout is almost complete. All that is needed afterwards are items and monsters.

I'm pretty much done and I'm debating whether I should do another one or not. Other than that, I don't really have any status updates to post. I'll post the finished version of the map on Sunday, that'll be my status update!

Krispavera said:

Was playing through it and got stuck here.

That teleporter doesn't seem to teleport me, and I don't know any other way out?

Doh! I made the sector tag for the transferred skies 2, while the teleport is supposed to teleport you to the sector tagged 1. That sector is under a sky ceiling.

I switched the teleport lines to teleport to the sector tagged 2. Works now.

Updated link:

THIS is the final version.

I'm marking your first map as finished, AB. Please upload it as soon as possible.

Lil Jawa023 said:

I say for bonus reasons and for convenience the originals should be put into on wad as well... but that's just me

There's been talk of creating a compilation of the original 1994 wads along with the tuned up ones in two seperate wads.

Alright, I just finished the layout for my map. Now I need to add gameplay.

Here are some screens I took of the map in GZDoom:
Before
After

Before
After

Before
After

Before
After

Before
After

Before
After

Keep in mind these are very low quality, but they should give you an idea of what to expect from my map. I also had to increase the brightness for a few of the screens so you could see anything, but it shouldn't be that washed out in game.

I'm honestly wondering if I changed too much. I tried to keep the best elements intact while adding new areas.

Edit:
Here's my map if you want to test it:
Helipad 2

There's a few problems right now. Namely, there are a bunch of unused textures that I am going to have to remove with Doombuilder, and also a missing secret that I cannot seem to find. I thought I removed all the old secrets, but I guess not.

Snarboo said:

There's a few problems right now. Namely, there are a bunch of unused textures that I am going to have to remove with Doombuilder, and also a missing secret that I cannot find seem to find. I thought I removed all the old secrets, but I guess not.

You could use the 'find and replace' tool in modes for doombuilder 2 to find 'sector effect' secret to find it.

Played your map snarboo, and I'm liking what you've done with it. Got 2 things you might want to look at:

About here on the map, there's a point you can get past the trees and stalagmites and hit the impassable line. It might just be me in my 'explore everything' mode pulling random stuff out though.

Also to keep with the black -> brown -> black hexagonal floor tiles thing, you could make edges on these floor tiles.

And here's a pretty picture of that unused secret sector :P

EDIT: changed pic to be more funny

ArmouredBlood said:

About here on the map, there's a point you can get past the trees and stalagmites and hit the impassable line. It might just be me in my 'explore everything' mode pulling random stuff out though.

That's why I placed an impassable line there. I thought the trees would be thick enough, but they weren't. I'll consider adding more.

And here's a pretty picture of that unused secret sector :P

Thanks again. I cracked open Doombuilder and fixed that after you mentioned using the find feature. I don't know how I missed that as it's in an obvious place.

Here's ELEMENTS with difficulty settings and a midi. Don't have many midis so if anyone can suggest a stock doom midi or compilation midi to use instead I'll use that one, otherwise it's final.

Snarboo said:

Looks good. :) You did change your midi file to the Doom mus format, right?

Just loaded a midi in the mus section of XWE. Worked in PrBoom, so I guess it'll work in boom also.

I should probably mention the midi in my wad is not converted to MUS. I'm having problems with my track though. I don't know if it happens to anyone else when they play, but there's a long delay (about a full 8 seconds) before the song loops and plays again. In addition to that, every subsequent loop is played without the drum beat. Not sure what's going on there. It may be just the midi's quality.

Ultima 1 is about 1/3 of the way finished. I'll try and get some pics up by monday.

JohnnyRancid said:

I don't know if it happens to anyone else when they play, but there's a long delay (about a full 8 seconds) before the song loops and plays again. In addition to that, every subsequent loop is played without the drum beat. Not sure what's going on there.

Yeah, I noticed that myself. I couldn't tell you why it does that. Maybe it's how the midi is formatted?

I'm pretty sure I hear the drums every odd time through. I think the composer got lazy in the second part or it isn't meant to have drums in there. If you have a program to mod the midi in I'd suggest finding the part where that 8 second bridge is and stop it there so it loops off that first bit. The absence isn't really noticeable to me though, so if you can't change it it's probably fine.

JohnnyRancid said:

Ultima 1 is about 1/3 of the way finished. I'll try and get some pics up by monday.

Are you improving this Doom-style, or are you modeling it more after the actual UW1? Either way I'm looking forward to whatever you finish up with!

I've played through all the recent submitted maps, and I'm pretty impressed. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I suggested this. :D

Dragonsbrethren said:

I'll see about posting some more screenshots soon. Retexturing is coming along nicely, and I've added some more detail to a few areas. I'm still debating on which textures to use in the corrupted portions of the base; the original used a lot of REDWALL and MARBLE2, I'm thinking about going with a flesh theme, but I might keep the marble areas marble. Some parts of the map are a bit too cramped for my taste, I want to redo those too.

Please do. There are far too few good flesh-themed maps.

I did that recreation of ORIGWAD.WAD tonight. I started from scratch because the readme didn't mention anything about using it as a base - that and it was 2 rooms and a door ;o)

Since it was the first extra to Doom I've tried to give this map a bit of a symbolic feel. Basically you start in a id map (Hope this is ok?), play this map and then head off into PWAD land *L* God I hope that made sense.

If it's ok for the collection perhaps it would be a good map32? The player starts the map with 200h/200a and I added a small secret to let them leave the same.

http://t.underworldgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/td-origwad.zip

I've also updated WILLE1M1 (albeit just some small changes). Main change is the invul secret is now separated to it's own tag so it's not too much of a gimme to the player)

http://t.underworldgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/td-wille1m1.zip

cheers

-t

I made (change) green water pool and some light.
will make small thing In the room after.

before
1 2

after
1 2

Super Jamie said:

Are you improving this Doom-style, or are you modeling it more after the actual UW1? Either way I'm looking forward to whatever you finish up with!

I've never played Ultima Underworld. Is that what it's actually modeled after? I feel kinda weird manipulating the map my own way.

EDIT:
Oh shit, it is.

@traversd: Is your first map finished yet? If not, I would like you to hold off on working on your second.

Your rendition of WillE1M1 is pretty good, but it has a few problems. Namely, there are 15 secrets, 12 of which don't seem to exist. Also, the secret switch that lowers the invul sphere can only be shot if you are using mouselook. Not all Boom enabled ports support that and not all players play with mouselook, so I recommend changing it.

Snarboo, I noticed this when I played your map in Zdoom. That happens to me often when I put mid textures in the floor like that, and I don't quite understand what causes it, so I'm not sure how that gets fixed. Just figured I'd point that out! Rest of your map looks great!

I think that's a known problem with the software renderer. I'll have to fix that.