Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snarboo

1994 tune-up challenge (*updated /idgames link*)

Is this a good idea?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• Yay
    • Nay

That's looking really nice, Walter. I like how you've taken the underlying textures and themes and incorporated them into your map. It's very true to the original while looking much better. :)

To keep this from dying, I going to start asking participants for weekly updates. If a participant does not post their status within a week, they will be marked. If they accumulate 3 marks and do not post an update within the following week, they will be dropped. If you are currently busy with school, work or another activity, please let me know within a reasonable time so I do not mark you.

I'm trying to keep this as lenient as possible while still keeping this project updated. I admit I haven't worked on a map in a while or really thought about this project, but I want development to continue.

So do I. I haven't even opened an editor in about a month, but I have been itching to make a map recently.

I'll be mapping over two weeks, Snarboo. Shame on me, because I could have finished the map in a few days, but I guess exams were live back then.

This is more to keep the project from dying or slipping for a months at a time and to keep interest going, so no need to feel shame. I understand a lot of people are busy with school and work, and that's a situation I'm willing to excuse.

That said, I'm glad to hear you'll be working on a map! :)

I do realize I still have Sweet.wad and I haven't passed it back to Mr. Freeze yet. I've had absolutely no time to work on it, but I'll eventually get to it, I promise.

Either way I already have a map in. :>

This is a nice project you have going here.
Just played both the Elements levels. Nice changes there.

@ArmouredBlood:
I have a small suggestion for that. In the room with the ssg you have loads of small floor detail (which does look fancy). Tho when enemies die on floor like that they slide around forever in all Boom ports it seems (if objects do not fall under own weight is set to yes which is default).

This can be fixed with the fake floor/ceiling lineaction.

All you have to do is make a sector where the floor and ceiling are that of the lowered detail and raise the one in the actual room to be level with the floor (make sure you keep your lower textures tho) and then just transfer the heights from the dummy to the to be lowered sector.

Now it looks lower, but behaves like it was flat.

Ptoing said:

Problem with sliding bodies

This can be fixed with the fake floor/ceiling lineaction.

explanation

Huh, I've never worked with those before, and remember more or less running through my prboom runs. I'll look into this, thanks for pointing it out.

Well, usually they are used to make the deep water stuff.
I recently experimented with them to find non deep water usages.

Unfortunately, all the map slots are taken, but I'll keep you in mind in case anyone drops out from the project.

Wouldn't do any harm to grab a map that hasn't been claimed and start working on it, that way you'll have a head-start if someone drops out.

That's a good idea! I might include any extra maps in a "runoff" wad in case we do get more than 32 submissions.

I guess I could do that. I think all the levels in the first post are taken though. I guess I could search through the archives but I doubt I could contact any of the original authors so I'd have to find one that already allows alteration.

In the original post didn't you say taking a map someone else has already is fine? Could be interesting to see how different people mod a map. Just have to make sure it's not the exact same thing ;)

ArmouredBlood said:

In the original post didn't you say taking a map someone else has already is fine? Could be interesting to see how different people mod a map. Just have to make sure it's not the exact same thing ;)

Yep, that's it. :) You can take any map you want as long as it meets the criteria laid out in the first post, even if someone else has already taken the map.

Hi Guys,

Still working on LEDGES.WAD

Learning BOOM stuff while doing it. Time for editing has been a bit scarce since returning to work. I'm hoping to present the map to the player as an empty dm arena, but then cause some moderate changes to the map at a certain point and have them fighting a horde to get out. As I'm sure most mappers can relate to - it looks, sounds and plays well in my head ;) just now making it work in the editor is the challenge.

Cheers
Travers

I am late, but am a little. I am sorry not to be able to catch up with all.
I end except object by the afternoon .

I couldn't view any of the images masayan
I get
Referral Denied
You don't have permission to access
on screen instead of the image.

walter confalonieri said:

As promised few posts ago, here it is the first version of nefarious chateau remake. Feedback please.

I just did a play through of your map in ZDoom and I have one word: EPIC. It's a really great map, the gameplay is pretty tight, and visuals are good without impeding movement.

That said, there were a few things I noted:

1. A couple of textures are missing, namely SKY4. I have no idea if this is because of ZDoom, the texture pack I'm using or a problem with the map. Edit: it's a problem with the texture pack. One of the missing textures, SP_DUDES, is missing, as is SKY4. I'm not sure how to fix this. Would you mind uploading your version of the texture pack so I can compare, Walter?
  2. ZDoom reports that there are 0-length lines and unused sidedefs in the map. These are normally cleaned up by your level editor or node builder.
  3. It's possible to get stuck behind the two thrones in the yellow key throne room.
  4. The demons that spawn in after collecting the yellow key get stuck in a nearby wall. Try moving the teleporter location a little further out.
  5. A couple of visual bugs. I'll try and take screenshots of these soon.
  6. Health was a little sparse at the start. As a result, I died early in my first two attempts. Adding a couple of health packs might help, but you don't have to go overboard. The third attempt was successful after I got a feeling for the map.
I still need to do a run through in PrBoom and the original map for comparison, but I love your map. It's exactly what I was hoping for with this project and it's really inspiring. :)

Edit:
I'm getting the same problem, Masayan.

Edit 2:
I did a run through of the original NEFCAT.WAD. You've done a great job of updating the original without compromising the layout. The influence is very obvious. Great job, dude. :)