Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snarboo

1994 tune-up challenge (*updated /idgames link*)

Is this a good idea?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• Yay
    • Nay

Hi guys,

Yep still working on pure evil. Sorry Walter that I've kept it for so long. I'm working on the north and south areas now. I'm going to hopefully get a fair bit more down in the next few days but hopefully Snarboo will let the final map30 slide past Dec 1 a bit and be completed whilst the map pack itself is compiled and tested. :o) pretty please.

I must say it's been interesting tying to make a teleport mechanism that helps the monsters avoid telefragging each other so often *L*

BTW Megadoomers testing has been really good I think. Hopefully we might get 1 more tester? That will make 3 of us giving the set a play through.

-travers

traversd said:

Hi guys,

Yep still working on pure evil. Sorry Walter that I've kept it for so long. I'm working on the north and south areas now. I'm going to hopefully get a fair bit more down in the next few days but hopefully Snarboo will let the final map30 slide past Dec 1 a bit and be completed whilst the map pack itself is compiled and tested. :o) pretty please.

I must say it's been interesting tying to make a teleport mechanism that helps the monsters avoid telefragging each other so often *L*

BTW Megadoomers testing has been really good I think. Hopefully we might get 1 more tester? That will make 3 of us giving the set a play through.

-travers

i hope it too, travers.

pure evil update

had a crazy idea and have really opened up the yellow key area. Also took a pic of the "monster paddock" it'll get pretty full if the player avoids shooting for long periods. I've tried to counter this by putting a shootable switch on one of the main doors. hope it works in practice and doesn't frustrate the players. the other pics are of the yellow key area and it's entrance.

travers

wow looks awesome, keep it up!

also, got some feedback from megadoomer... i'll see to fix some of things you said me via PM tommorow (also, 2 days left... oh my!)

I've uploaded traversd's new version of viper.wad to the first post. I'm also allowing more time for Pure Evil to be completed past the deadline.

I'm really pleased with the turnout for this project. You guys have been great, and I'm excited to see the finished product. :)

Edit:
Also moved GreyGhost's map to the "needs finishing" pile since I've been told it is not complete.

All right, upload a new version of pie.wad rmx according to megadoomer suggestions (also, crusher in sector 315 turns into a telefrag sector, teleport is on the "red stairs" after the first crushing monsters room, on left corner, check the map), also fixed a teleport bug in the final brown maze, and two new cybers instead of teleport exit, due to no tag sections:

http://www.mediafire.com/?8kl8nf8bdhyuc5z

also, i have a half to change the "Carameldansen" midi to something from Initial D, i will check vgmusic further for something good.

Nevermind...

Alright, the deadline has hit! Most of the maps have been submitted and Pure Evil is getting some extra time.

It is now up to the testers to fix any bugs and errors in the maps. Testing ends the 15th. 40oz will compile the wad based on feedback from testers, but he has ultimate say on where each map will go. The only maps that are locked are those that use map specials, such as Map 7 and Map 15.

A Note to Testers: I've realized the sky errors that have appeared in prBoom+ for a couple of the maps are due to an improper compatibility setting. I allowed mappers to use MBF transfer skies, which allows for more than one sky in a map. I forget what the proper compatibility flags are for this in prBoom+ but this does not need to be fixed! I repeat, this is intended behavior that is not showing up correctly in prBoom+.

Please disregard this error. This problem may be due to an incompatibility with the current texture wad.

Edit:
Going over some of the posts in this thread, I've discovered the sky problem is most likely caused by either the texture wad or the map itself. For some reason this works in other ports, such as Eternity and ZDoom, but prBoom+ is probably stricter about how wads are loaded. This will need to be fixed either when the maps are compiled together or right now.

Load order is the problem I encountered most often but that should go away when the sky textures are merged with the texture wad. I'll look into that and report back.

I threw together a test wad, merging the five maps I know are using custom skies with the replacement textures and encountered a few problems along the way.

The version of Xenomorph I submitted is using a SKY1 replacement, here's a later update with sky transfer and some other additions if the testers want to rip into it.

Major Rawne also used SKY1 replacement in Rawnwood, though I don't know what the current situation is since I get a CRC error when attempting to unzip the wad.

In Tunnels I noticed the rooms just before the exit are using the standard Episode 1 sky - is that deliberate?

Using FD_SKY1 as a sky transfer in Undersea might be redundant since it's in the texture wad, though that'll depend on where 40oz places it in the map order.

Didn't spot any sky transfer issues in HHH - Part 2.

I've added your update to the first post, GreyGhost. I'm pretty tired right now so I'm going to dig into this later, but thanks for your help!

Hello to all, here's a bug-fixed version under the helpful megadoomer feedbacks, i've checked it and there's no trouble on my version of prboom+ (2.5.0.5), also added the missing skybox from my modified texture pack... whatever, you can just merge the two files (this map -or other uses different textures from the official textures pack-) and fdgfxd2.wad. I've did it using the good old WinTex and works perfectly:

Here's a little tutorial (on WinTex and XWE, no SlumpEd sorry) if you don't remember how to do it:

Just remind to open "File" and then "Merge" on XWE

And here's the file: http://www.mediafire.com/?ial7yp2bwnys1ls
also, a little tip for reaching the green armor secret, but i also added a secret step to the nuke pit (you can recognize it on a different floor texture on the broken teleport path at the nuke courtyard at begin of the map... then push the pitcure beyond the mark, it will raise up the hidden step...)

Sorry for long post, i hope you like it...

GreyGhost said:

Using FD_SKY1 as a sky transfer in Undersea might be redundant since it's in the texture wad, though that'll depend on where 40oz places it in the map order.

I seem to remember something being said about using the default Doom 2 SKY1-3 in the final wad, so I wanted to make sure I had the right sky textures available if that happened. If it doesn't, the transfers can be changed.

Doom 2 skies would muck things up a bit, probably best to leave the transfers there.

GreyGhost said:

Major Rawne also used SKY1 replacement in Rawnwood, though I don't know what the current situation is since I get a CRC error when attempting to unzip the wad.

Finally got it open using Info-ZIP and found the map's still using SKY1 replacement.

For testing purposes I've merged the custom skies (including Walter's SKY4) into the resource wad and renamed the Rawnwood sky RAWNSKY in anticipation of it being applied as a sky transfer. Here it is.

@traversd: I've uploaded your maps to the first post!

@GreyGhost: I'll upload the new texture wad as soon as mediafire starts cooperating. :p

@Dragonsbrethren: I've decided the project will stick with the Freedoom skies. They work well with this project and look different to the defaults, so it adds some extra charm I feel.

walter confalonieri said:

sorry but... my map?

...has been added to the first post. :p

You really hid the link to your map in the last post. Please be sure to point it out next time.

I've finished tweaking melange, as per MegaDoomer's suggestions. I'll upload it tomorrow, and then i'll start focusing on comcon.

Sounds good maggot202. :) I'm thinking about extending the testing past Christmas when I realized how busy people will likely be. I'll let everyone know by this Friday.

Also I contacted rf' about uploading his map but got no reply. However, rather than dump his map, I'll upload the last version he submitted and if he wishes to, he can upload a newer version.