Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RDMonkey

The Doom Monster Creator Project

Ive seen the other doom monster creator thread but that is different. This is a project I've been working on for a while. It literally is called DMC or Doom Monster Creator. Dont troll me im serious. I have some snapshots too. But i cant post attachments so you have to go to

http://skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19751&p=242726#p242726

to see them. Sorry for giving external link. It features the ability to edit the following:

Defences = health and defence type
Physics = able to change the physics of your monster
Behavior = what the monster does and how it does it
Map Editor settings = sets the properties for Doom Builder and others
Attack Properties = how your monster attacks
Description = monster name, your name, and the monster description

PLUS a built in Sprite Manager where you can upload sprite images or a GIF image.

I know this has been attempted a lot of times but i know this one will work. Any contributions are welcome and are credited.

Er, does this software even allow for state adjustments? Although there is that Maunal Script editor there is nothing that suggests auto-generation of states under your control, which would sound vital in such a application.

I also hope you don't expect this to do everything. An editor that can do everything DECORATE can do would be a huge headache, and you would be better off doing it yourself. The best you can actually do without making things too annoying is a template generator which sets everything you need to make it work, which could then be modified by the user.

InsanityBringer said:

Er, does this software even allow for state adjustments? Although there is that Maunal Script editor there is nothing that suggests auto-generation of states under your control, which would sound vital in such a application.

I also hope you don't expect this to do everything. An editor that can do everything DECORATE can do would be a huge headache, and you would be better off doing it yourself. The best you can actually do without making things too annoying is a template generator which sets everything you need to make it work, which could then be modified by the user.

Thanks for the suggestion. Well, in the Manual Script Editor i do plan to add a drop down or button list where it lets you pick a monster template (example: Imp). As for the states yeah that could be added to as both a new tab and in the MSE (Manual Script Editor).

This seems pretty cool. I anxiously await it's completion.

How will you do 3-d ish sprites? By that I mean like seeing a custom monster from the back without it looking always at you like a wolfenstein-3d boss?

thenintyminty said:

How will you do 3-d ish sprites? By that I mean like seeing a custom monster from the back without it looking always at you like a wolfenstein-3d boss?

Due to some sprite and scripting problems, the Sprite Manager was taken out. But to make up for this, DSM (Doom Sprite Manager) will be release as a addon to DMC. ITs the same thing.

I see the progress increased 3% from yesterday :)

Will this be able to alter .ZIP .PK3 e.t.c. as this will broaden your audience alot if it supports lots of file types and also alot more intricate monsters or even playability as the custom monsters! This is probably be a stretch but if you decide to do a doom monster creator 2
I recommend you do something similar. Ofcourse there are other programs that allow playability of monsters (although i do know of none) as this means that you could make a mod where its like 1 cyberdemon vs. a bunch of marines and you are the cyber! And the cyber shoots arachnotron bullets1 What do you think?

To be honest, no not really. DMC is ment to be used as a program to create YOUR own monster! although i DID think of that, i just think is useless because of the fact that it takes less than 30 seconds to make you monster. About the sprite situation, now i did have to take out the Sprite Manager...but once i find some freakin scripters, i might be able to re-implement it.

So to answer your question, no. Sorry :\

Hello all! Anyone whos wondering, no. This topic, nor this program is dead. Ive just takin a small break...okay a LONG break.

Im just ensuring everybody that DMC has now just rebegun!!!

Fanfare please :D

New Features:
Action Special
Obituaries
Menu Screen
About Screen
Compiling Dialog

and remember......[size=150]stay tuned!![/size]

It seems kinda like the program I have been planning and working a bit on. However I must say I disagree with some of the stuff in your editor, but good luck with it.

Of course I sound harsh as your editor is just for editing monsters, sorry for that.

But I plan my editor to have easily access to update properties, flags and states (like some kind of database files used that the editor uses). I still think you have some kind of config files, so it makes stuff easier for you to update.

This was just a general test layout I did (I use this project as my first programming project in python with the omgifol lib and PyQT):

torn-net.dk/decorate/gui02.png]Test layout

Of course I will make my program make/edit scene stuff, weapons, etc...
Of course I do problems with how it should be designed.

Sorry for kinda capturing your thread. :)

No problem in fact....youve inspired me :D (im serious)

Your layout looks great and i never wouldve thought of using it. Im just using tabs as a main basis.

Though Doom Monster Creator is for, and only for, the simplicity of creating and actor in DECORATE without actually using DECORATE. You could practice easily by making a test monster and look at the text file that compiles on finish.

P.S. those screen shots are old ;)