Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

Maybe its just me but for some reason I get this..

Uncontrolable excitement whenever I load up my map editor.. for some reason the Idea of creating my own miniture(Or large)world.. dosn't matter if its a Hellish realm or simple tech base.. I just get so excited and jittery.. anyone here know what I mean? or is it a Dweedle thing?

I dont know about you but I like to suck cock when I'm mapping, am I right?

I like listening to funky music and looking at flames at the bottom of my screen while I map.

David_Dweedle said:

Uncontrolable excitement whenever I load up my map editor.. for some reason the Idea of creating my own miniture(Or large)world.. dosn't matter if its a Hellish realm or simple tech base.. I just get so excited and jittery.. anyone here know what I mean? or is it a Dweedle thing?

I used to back in 1995. When I learned that I could mess around with doom2 it was the coolest thing in the world, even though at the time I couldn't create anything worth sharing, it was totally the coolest thing in the world (did I already say that?) I still get excited--excited about the general possibilites and about whatever idea I have at the moment or vague sense of theme or aesthetic. I wouldn't say it's uncontrollable excitement, but I hear what you're saying.

lol@spleen

@JohnnyRancid: that was rancid Rancid

I generally get frustrated as most of the time I do a good 30 minutes to an hour's worth of work and decide that I hate all of it. I don't get it, I'll have all this inspiration and I'll make some pretty nice areas, but then it's like I lose my knack, the map loses direction/feels too straightforward/I run out of ideas/etc..

This mapping stuff is harrrd man!

Krispavera said:

I generally get frustrated as most of the time I do a good 30 minutes to an hour's worth of work and decide that I hate all of it. I don't get it, I'll have all this inspiration and I'll make some pretty nice areas, but then it's like I lose my knack, the map loses direction/feels too straightforward/I run out of ideas/etc..

This mapping stuff is harrrd man!

yeah, this happens to me a lot too... and then to compensate for it I feel like I have to make really really long maps.... O_o Sometimes to get beyond those mental blocks you just have to start drawing lines without knowing what they're going to do and as you draw rooms or whatever sometimes ideas can come. On the other hand, if it's bland and lame it's a good idea to delete the section and try again.

Hellbent said:

yeah, this happens to me a lot too... and then to compensate for it I feel like I have to make really really long maps.... O_o Sometimes to get beyond those mental blocks you just have to start drawing lines without knowing what they're going to do and as you draw rooms or whatever sometimes ideas can come. On the other hand, if it's bland and lame it's a good idea to delete the section and try again.

Yeah, that's generally what I start to do. Like, right now I'm working on a map that's supposed to take place in an underground base (original, yeah I know), and I'm trying to keep that earthy, underground atmosphere intact while keeping smooth and challenging gameplay. I also kinda don't know how I want to progress the level as in, which keys do I want the player to get first, where do I want them to go first, etc..

Maybe I should start sitting down and drawing maps on paper before going to DB..

The days I could get exited by making something for doom are lying well within the past. Nowdays mapping feels like an fucking day job, its boring the hell out of me.

dutch devil said:

The days I could get exited by making something for doom are lying well within the past. Nowdays mapping feels like an fucking day job, its boring the hell out of me.

then why do you do it lol

Ya I kinda know how you feel dutch, although for me that feeling of true excitement when mapping died out when I started getting "serious" about it, which was probably back in 2001 or so with Duke3D. Before that I just had fun with it and made whatever the hell I felt like, regardless of whether it was really "good" or not. Ever since then I just get so bogged down with trying making something that's good and professional, I end up not doing anything at all and closing doom builder. I guess I feel as though if I can't make something that's good enough in my mind, then it's not worth doing at all. Although the times when I do get in a good mapping mood I've gone for like 5 or 6 hours straight... and then not know wtf to do with the map the next day. ARGH!!

David_Dweedle said:

then why do you do it lol

Who says I'm still doing it...I do not map all that much lately. Well not nearly as much as I once did, but I will probably never quit with mapping. My motivation to work on my projects comes and goes, it also depends on the time of year. The summer period is not an good time of year to do any mapping.