Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Random map idea I had off of ... someone's "chaosorder" map. Slid off a small step series in front of a cyber and thought "ooo ice. coool." Obviously doom has no ice textures, so I took one from hexen. The midi is the music for phendrana drifts from metroid prime. I'd prefer to use the mp3, but eh, I know this works for vanilla. Anyway I'd like some feedback, tell me what I can do better, what would be something cool to do with it, my stalagmites suck cause they're not white, etc.

EDIT: lol I accidentally linked my speed map here, oops. This is the map I meant >.<
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/Crevasse.zip

Did I play it wrong? I didn't see any ice or stalagmites. Either way, it was kinda bland and the gameplay seemed way too unthreatening. One big round room with a bunch of high level enemies doesn't really = challenge, since they tend to just bunch up and kill each other pretty quickly.

Pretty good map, a bit short maybe and a bit too easy? (always play UV) 3 soulspheres so close to each other? you should change that...way too much.
I like the arch-vile suprise at the end...

finally the map could use some secrets

Stalagmites are fine the colour they are. I especially liked when you hid imps among those and the trees as ordinarily in a setting like this they'd stick out like a sore thumb. But you did notice that the height of the trees was greater than that of the ceiling right? That kinda thing really shatters any illusion of being anyplace other than some old FPS :/

I thought the stalagmites and trees that were on a lift felt a bit goofy too. Also while we're being atmospheric then why did you use keycards in a non-tech setting?

And what was the deal with only requiring one of the three keys to exit?

Aside from this then the layout seemed decent and the monster placement was good, although I'd have prefered some heavier weapon to hack through those hordes of pinkies.

I was wondering what was wrong with that level.. >.>
I played the real one this time, and it was actually quite clever in places. I liked the cramped, slippery, icy feel to it. The first time I slipped off the ledge and met a demon, I was actually kinda shocked. The lack of friction took me off guard. The layout was pretty simple, but it worked for what you were going for. Not bad.

@ cybershark; hmm didn't really pay that much attention to the height of the trees, only the blue key room and the yellow key room have that I think (which is like half the map, so yea it's big ...)

They were growing on a patch of soil that covered the lift :P Nah I just randomly placed half the stuff in the big room and they fell over the lift. It wasn't a hell map and I dislike putting skulls in anything else. Also I had a small backstory going where the doom marine is heading to a mountain base. Some leftover tech around maybe? But then the pillars wouldn't be skulls ... -.- As to the 1 key exit, it was meant as a simpler map, map01-map05 type.

I have a feeling you missed the chaingun secret :P

@krispavera: heh, thanks, I was wondering what people taking that first spill would think. I might've put the teleporters too close the edge they fall in though.

Nah I totally found the chaingun. Still I was bored with waiting for it to punch through the hordes so I was MDKing my way through much of the level *shrug*