Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyosai7

Help with Doom95

I just joined, and I have a small issue. I downloaded Doom95 off here, and when I go to play it it says "ERROR: Missing file DPLAY.DLL" Is there something I did wrong in my installation or is there something I'm missing?

Don't bother with Doom95 unless you know what you're doing. If you're trying to play the shareware version (I'm hoping you didn't download the full version unless you paid for it :p), you should either run regular (non-95) shareware DOOM in DOSBox, or run the shareware WAD file with Chocolate DOOM.

Kyosai7 said:

Well, I'd like to play some WADs that people have uploaded, and play online

You won't be playing online with DOOM95. You'd have to use Skulltag or ZDaemon, as those are the only two ports people really play online.

Also, you can't play online with the shareware DOOM wad. However, if you haven't actually bought a full version of DOOM, you still can play Skulltag for free on 97e servers with the Freedoom wad online. The 97e servers will mostly be SuperGod's (most people still host on 97d3), but they are unfortunately down for maintenance at the moment.

As for ZDaemon, I'm not sure how it handles Freedoom. :p

[edit: Skulltag 97d4 was just released, replacing 97d3, and supports FreeDOOM. It's your lucky day, if you haven't bought DOOM!]

There's also PrBoom, Chocolate Doom, and Odamex to play online with.

But, When you downloaded Doom95, did you also remember to take out every file in it? The game won't work if you don't extract any DLLs.

Forget Doom95. It was built for Windows 95, has no Online play built-in, the resolution is capped at 640x480 and many WADs by users won't run.
You also will not be able to use the mouse on Windows versions past Windows 98, at least even in Windows 98 SE chances are good, that the mouse won't work.

Just try the suggestions of other members here, this would do it. Doom95 won't.

Doom95 is terrible even for that purpose; use Chocolate Doom or DOSBox if you need to test vanilla maps.

It certainly isn't the best choice because of the increased VPO limit and, if it applies, the lack of DeHackEd support, but it's better for that purpose than any source port except Chocolate. So if it's terrible, everything else is utter shit :p

Spleen said:
Also, you can't play online with the shareware DOOM wad.

Well, you can, but only on the nine levels it includes. You can often find one or two shareware serves on ZDaemon or Skulltag, or you can set one up. It's a good choice if one wants to just try the game online, later acquiring it if it turns out fun.

myk said:

It certainly isn't the best choice because of the increased VPO limit and, if it applies, the lack of DeHackEd support, but it's better for that purpose than any source port except Chocolate. So if it's terrible, everything else is utter shit :p

Hmm, I'd still say Vanilla on DOSBOX is better than DOOM95.

myk said:

Well, you can, but only on the nine levels it includes. You can often find one or two shareware serves on ZDaemon or Skulltag, or you can set one up. It's a good choice if one wants to just try the game online, later acquiring it if it turns out fun.

Oops, my bad, that will indeed work with ZDaemon. Skulltag doesn't work with the shareware IWAD due to adding new content, though.

Spleen said:
Hmm, I'd still say Vanilla on DOSBOX is better than DOOM95.

Sure, I meant "source port" as engines based on the released source. Doom itself is the best choice, followed closely by Chocolate Doom, which emulates it.

Chocolate doom is pretty good for the sake of having a faithful game of doom, but I've found that dosbox is what I find myself using the most if that's what I want. Not to undermine chocolate-doom or anything, but if I want a 'classic' game, i'll just play doom with the original engine, straight down to the proprietary audio code not included in the source.