Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
J-selva

Map 12 Factory

I remember this way back when I first played Doom 2 around 1995. On map 12, when I first got there, the sky texture was plain. Only after I saved and loaded the game, the sky texture changed to the city-looking one. Did anyone else catch this, or maybe know why?

It's a bug in Doom2. The sky doesn't transition properly when moving between levels, until you reload a savegame.

I've played vanilla Doom an absurd amount of time back in the day, but don't ever recall having such an error. Unfortunately Doom wiki cannot be read in China, so my ignorance on the matter is unresolved. Perhaps it's only certain versions of Doom2 with that problem?

According to the wiki:

The code which sets the sky is found in g_game.c, in the function G_InitNew. This is called when a new game is started: eg. when using the IDCLEV cheat, the "new game" option from the menu or when loading from a saved game. However, this function is not called at the start of every level, only at the initial start of the game.

The problem arises because the code is an extension to the code used to set the sky for Doom 1. In Doom 1, this was not a problem, as each episode had a separate sky background, and players do not progress between episodes without starting a new game.

However, in the released Doom source code, extra code was added into G_LoadLevel to set the sky. Because of this, most source ports will also not exhibit the bug.

In other words all vanilla Doom2 versions had the bug. Something like that can be surprisingly easy not to notice if you don't know to be looking for it though.

Eternity once had a mistake that made SKY1 mandatory to MAP12.

I never knew that could happen. The skies are similar though and I guess I just never noticed it.

I certainly noticed it "back in the day", though I must admit that it took me a while. I'd hesitate to call the skies similar though. One is a brown cloudy sky and the other is a bunch of burning tower blocks.

Provided you can still run vanilla Doom, warp to map11, hit the exit switch, skip past the intermission text and map12 will have the wrong sky. The same thing will happen between maps 20 and 21.

I don't remember what happens if you play right through all the maps without loading. I *think* sky1 continues to be get used right through the whole game but I could be wrong.

Enjay said:
I *think* sky1 continues to be get used right through the whole game

Yeah, it does. I think many people could have failed to notice the effect if they used saves often. I became more familiar with it when I started watching demos, particularly movies of the whole game. Even later, I mistakenly thought the issue affected only demos (or starting the game directly from the command line), because that's the way I was seeing whole runs in one sitting.