Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Patrick Versus Doom 64

The dilemma is simple. I need to set controls for Doom 64 and I'm having a hard time doing so. I can't quite seem to find a control scheme that works well. If anyone has a recommended control scheme or something that they have found to work well, post it here.

Here's what I've currently got:

Button 7: Run and Use
D-Pad: Forward, Backward, Strafe Left, Strafe Right
Joystick: Turn Left, Turn Right, Forwar, Backward
Button 4: Weapon Up
Button 4: Weapon Down
Button 6: Automap
Button 8: Strafe
Button 5: Turn Left
Button 3: Turn Right 
EDIT: Please do not tell me to use Kaiser's Doom64EX, It doesn't run on my computer. I just bought an original Doom64 cartridge for the sake of playing it on my new N64 (see "Patrick Versus Consoles")

What's wrong with the default setup?

EDIT: The N64 controller's somewhat weird design took some getting used to back in the day. But after a while your hands become accustomed to it (unlike the Atari Jaguar controller, which was a brush with the concept of torture).

The default controls work the best IMO. As a suggestion though, use the Control stick to turn, because the control pad is extremely slow. You can also set the sensitivity on the control stick if it is too fast or slow for you.

I never played Doom 64, but if I did, here's what I would use (if possible).

Joystick: Turn Left, Turn Right, Forward, Backward
Button 4: Fire
Button 1: Run and Use
Button 10: Strafe Left
Button 8: Strafe Right
Button 3: Weapon Up
Button 5: Weapon Down
I have no buttons on the left wing, since in the few years I had my N64 (stolen when I was 9, *self pity*), I never had my hand over there for more than a second or two (I still don't understand why they made it like this).

I also didn't see a button mapped for Fire. Is that changeable? Personally, I'm not one to always force shoot controls onto triggers, so I stuck Left Strafe there.

Control stick: Move
Button 1: Weapon switch forward
Button 4: Weapon switch backward
Button 3 & 5: Strafe
Button 10: Fire
Button 8: Use

The rest (run toggle and automap zoom) are set to button 7 where it's out of the way. The stick sensitivity is set anywhere between 1/5 and 1/4 down the bar.

Here's what I always used when I played Doom 64.

button 1 - cycle weapon forward
button 2 - run
button 3 - use (open)
button 4 - cycle weapon backward
button 5 - fire weapon
button 6 - strafe
button 7 - strafe left
button 8 - strafe right
button 9 - pause
button 10 - automap
button 11 - move forward
button 12 - move backward
button 13 - turn left
button 14 - turn right
control stick - unused

If you're using an emulator, I believe there are mouse-to-analog plugins. That would probably let you set up the controls the same as the mouse & keyboard combo that you use for PC Doom.

Mr. Chris said:

Why not just play the Doom64 TC in the meantime?

Maybe not having Windows is the reason his computer can't use Kaiser's Doom64EX. If that is the case then the TC is subject to the same dilemma. Besides, he bought the cart for his newly acquired hardware. I own the hardware but only hooked it up a few times after I got the cart. I just prefer it on PC.

Anyway, I just don't see a better set up. Like GoldenEye007 I use my left thumb on the D-Pad and right thumb on the Analog Stick. Thankfully they allow one to remap the controls. I like control profiles, they are great for starting out but it's a pet peeve of mine when they leave out full remapping options entirely. No excuse.

Kaiser said:

USE KAISER'S DOOM64EX

Hmmm, make it work with my system and fix the music and we'll consider this.

Patrick said:

Use the OGG music.

What about the TC, does that work on your system? I know it's not as accurate as EX or the real deal, but 64 controllers are terrible.

There's a add on for the project 64 emulator which lets you configure mouse controls. I tried it with GoldenEye and it worked fairly well, (though the speed with which you turn is still done in incriments so it's not very smooth)

Unfortuately you also need to download an autoHotkey script called No-Mousy in order to hide the mouse cursor during the game. Another annoying thing about this emulator is that you have to remind it about the controls you congfigured for a specific game whenever you start playing so there's also alot of hassle involved.

Patrick said:

Please feel free to explain the issues. I can't help you if you don't help me.

Why don't use a PS2/USB controller, mine is configured like this:

D-Pad = D-Pad
Left Analog = Analod Stick
Right Analog = C-Buttons
Square = B
X = A
L1 = L
R1 = R
L2 = Z-Trigger

I would suggest something that mirrors GoldenEye and Perfect Dark's setup. It works really well on the awkward N64 controller.

Use the stick (in your left hand) to walk forward/back and to turn left/right. Use the yellow D-buttons (with right hand) to look up/down and strafe left/right.

A is cycle weapons, B is open, the Z trigger is shoot. Forget about the left D-pad, or configure it the same as the yellow buttons.

007 uses the shoulder buttons to aim. Maybe you could make Right Shoulder be Doom's Open, and use A/B to cycle forward/back through weapons.

It's been a long time since I've played Doom 64, though I do own it and a console if you'd like me to test anything. Here are the original controls.