Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Prince of Darkness

Possible issues with Fallout 3 SecureROM

I got Fallout 3 awhile back for my personal computer and was able to run it at a high graphic level for some time before my power supply began to crap out on me. Believing that a new computer was only a few weeks away and certain that 45 minutes of playtime was not nearly enough before ALL SYSTEM SHUTDOWN, I uninstalled it- only to receive a new power supply from a friend not much later.

I thus tried reinstalling Fallout 3, but to no avail- the instant my DVD drive (the one I used to install it, mind you) reads it, my computer freezes up completely and I need to yank it's supply of energy to shut it off. But since the thread out ID games being bought out (here) I have begun wondering is this is the SecureROM feature that comes on this disc.

Does anyone have an answer? I really want to finally beat this game, and I can see no reason as to why it would freeze up like it has been.

fallout 3 only has a secuROM disk-check which is very easily bypassed by running the fallout.exe instead of the fallout launcher.
that's all.
so, no, that's not the problem.

The Lag said:

fallout 3 only has a secuROM disk-check which is very easily bypassed by running the fallout.exe instead of the fallout launcher.
that's all.
so, no, that's not the problem.

Crap. What do you think it is, then?

You can always try a No DVD cracked exe. What sort of shit PSU were you using? You could also have a buggered DVD rom drive. Yet I'm guessing that's the only disc you're experiencing problems with.

If your computer freezes up completely, your computer's graphics card might be overheating. I had a problem with my graphics card overheating a few months ago.

Yeah, 99% of cases where computers freeze completely are busted hardware or busted drivers. If you think it's the disc you need to test if other discs cause the problem.

I actually just uninstalled and reinstalled Fallout 3 yesterday, and I can safely report no problems. It's very likely a hardware problem for you.

if it freezes while you are installing then it could be your drive or the disk is somehow corrupted.
do you have problems at any other time? when playing games? when listening to music?
try installing a new driver for your dvd drive.

The Lag said:

if it freezes while you are installing then it could be your drive or the disk is somehow corrupted.
do you have problems at any other time? when playing games? when listening to music?
try installing a new driver for your dvd drive.

I only have issues when I try to install this game; Otherwise, I have noticed nothing.

I have thought about it being my graphics card, but the overheating part doesn't make sense when I have started up my computer and tried to install it off the back.

Prince of Darkness said:

I have thought about it being my graphics card, but the overheating part doesn't make sense when I have started up my computer and tried to install it off the back.

I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying here. What do you mean by, "install it off the back?"

caco_killer said:

I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying here. What do you mean by, "install it off the back?"

Sorry.

I could have had it shut down for several hours, then start up the computer and try to install once it is finished starting up. No matter what, it freezes, and I have to rob it of it's power supply to shut it down.

POTGIESSER said:

You can always try a No DVD cracked exe.

Given that Fallout3.exe does not have a DVD check in it, only Fallout3 Launcher.exe... Pointless. Use the launcher to configure the game once, then leave it, and henceforth start Fallout3 directly (or though the Fallout Mod Manager).

If you see a "cracked no-dvd" version of fallout3.exe, you can be 100% sure that it's a trap.

Prince of Darkness said:

Sorry.

I could have had it shut down for several hours, then start up the computer and try to install once it is finished starting up. No matter what, it freezes, and I have to rob it of it's power supply to shut it down.

I looked at the Fallout 3 Forums. Did you try this?

Fallout 3 Forums said:

If you experience issues installing the game, try running setup.exe directly off the disc. That will resolve most compatibility issues.