Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Doom 3: Phobos update

The Team Future crew have updated their website with another periodic development blog. This time they are showcasing Episode 3, the hell-based portion of the expansive and ambitious Doom 3 modification, with some screenshots to look at and our usual ramblings about design philosophies to read over. Point your browsers towards the Doom 3: Phobos website to take a peek.

First time I've ever seen this project, not really being much of a Doom 3 fan myself. It looks pretty cool, more action-based and with classic-influenced level design. Like what Doom 3 should have been.

Keeps getting better and better. I still have Doom 3 installed just for this project!

This project has been in the back of my mind for a long time. I've been really disappointed by first-person shooters in the past few years. It feels weird seeing a free, fan-made mod that excites me more than any commercially produced game.

That second screenshot fills me with joy.

If this were 2 years ago i would be very exited. But this thing has been going on for years and i lost interest in Doom 3 ages ago. It just goes to show why making large projects for modern games simply is not fun anymore unless your a really, and i mean a REALLY dedicated person willing to spend years on a single project.

What happened to the old days when a single person could create a 10-15 min long levels in less then a week?

I guess these times died with the original Quake. :(

To begin with, colors are a more prominent member of Hell in Phobos

So where are the colors? I couldn't find them in the screenshots.

It looks OK if I open the screenshots in PSP and increase the saturation 200%.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Now on to dealing with that nice juicy crit. >:D~

Fredrik said:

So where are the colors? I couldn't find them in the screenshots.

It looks OK if I open the screenshots in PSP and increase the saturation 200%.

Says the man who made a map series entirely out of the gray** textures. :p

I never said "Saturated colors". If you had kept reading, you would have understood that as I said directly after:

(but still not to the level of the original Doom mind you). After all, we are trying to stay true to the source. It will be a lot more varied and vivid than the caves and plateaus you explored in Doom3.

And actually, you could argue that there are more varied colors there than in most Doom community made hell maps done today. Which are usually made out of 3 colors, Black, Brown and Red. But I digress.

However, there will be places of saturated colors in Phobos too.
Here you can see an example of that:
http://tfuture.org/themes/phobos/img/docs/16.jpg

hardcore_gamer said:

If this were 2 years ago i would be very exited. But this thing has been going on for years and i lost interest in Doom 3 ages ago. It just goes to show why making large projects for modern games simply is not fun anymore unless your a really, and i mean a REALLY dedicated person willing to spend years on a single project.

What happened to the old days when a single person could create a 10-15 min long levels in less then a week?

I guess these times died with the original Quake. :(

It's hardly like we ask you to do anything over all these years. If we want to spend that time working on a project, why shouldn't we? What does that even have to do with you?

You're living the good old days you twat. You're at Doomworld. A place where people make 32in24 megawads. Funny though, I never see any of those releases by you.

Quake, just like Doom. Is very much still alive.

This is looking so awesome, can't wait to play it!
One question though;
will the Grabber gun and the artifact from ROE make an appearance?
I hope not to be honest... they made the game far too easy IMO.

kristus said:

It's hardly like we ask you to do anything over all these years. If we want to spend that time working on a project, why shouldn't we? What does that even have to do with you?

You're living the good old days you twat. You're at Doomworld. A place where people make 32in24 megawads. Funny though, I never see any of those releases by you.

Quake, just like Doom. Is very much still alive.

I never said Quake was dead. And what does this project has to do with me you ask? Well nothing, nothing at all. All i said was that i think Doom 3 takes far to long to MOD for it to be worth it. I have actually create a couple of maps for Doom 3 my self, and while i found it fun the amount of time it took was did simply not feel worth it in the end. If you think it's awesome then that's great, i don't think there is anything wrong with that.

And what's up with the angry tone on your reply? It's not like i said your project sucked or anything.

EDIT: Looking at my reply, i actually did call quake dead. My bad, i know it's not dead.

hardcore_gamer said:

All i said was that i think Doom 3 takes far to long to MOD for it to be worth it.

I take it this is coming from your rich and extensive experience with the game.

Use3D said:

I take it this is coming from your rich and extensive experience with the game.

I have made a number of maps for the game, some of them were praised by the people at doom3.filefront.com

I have made maps for the game and i know how long it can take.

Okay so you made some generic doom3 maps, I guess that does give you the right to say Team Future is taking too long on what for all intents and purposes looks like an entirely new Doom3 expansion. I just the moral of this story is you're not interested, and no one cares that you're not interested.

Use3D said:

Okay so you made some generic doom3 maps, I guess that does give you the right to say Team Future is taking too long on what for all intents and purposes looks like an entirely new Doom3 expansion.

I said i found Doom 3 modding too take too long, not that THEY were taking too long, i have not even been keeping an eye on this project. Though i do know how long it has been going on.

Use3D said:

just the moral of this story is you're not interested, and no one cares that you're not interested.

Heh.

I thought the whole purpose of a forum was posting your opinions about the thread topic.

hardcore_gamer said:

I thought the whole purpose of a forum was posting your opinions about the thread topic.

Hubert H. Humphrey said:

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

I'm definitely liking the look of Hell in this project. I still have Doom 3 on my PC because of the awesome mods out there that are available, as well as ones being developed, like this one.

Keep up the awesome work Team Phobos. :D

kristus said:

Says the man who made a map series entirely out of the gray** textures. :p

Yeah, but I didn't make any claims of colors being "prominent" there ;-)

I also think there are some differences. Pure gray is fine for tech base, even in Doom 3, as it gives a clean, sterile look, which is both aesthetically and atmospherically appropriate for the setting. Colored lamps, computer screens and other tech fixtures, skies, etc, can provide sufficient color and variation on top of that. (In Doom, the sprites also add a lot of color. It's harder in Doom 3 where most monsters and decorations are some shade of gray!)

But you certainly don't want hell to look sterile, at least not if you're aiming to bring back more of the feel of the original Doom. It should look organic, toxic, rotting, etc. Judicious use of *strong* color is good to achieve this, and my impression is that you could be much more daring with it. This is based only on the screenshots, mind you -- maybe the experience playing it is something different, I have no idea. The latest batch of screens didn't do it for me personally, though, and that's all I'm saying.

(For the record, I think some of the earlier screenshots looked great, so keep up the work. Chances are I'll get a copy of Doom 3 just to play this, when I get a fast enough computer.)

And actually, you could argue that there are more varied colors there than in most Doom community made hell maps done today. Which are usually made out of 3 colors, Black, Brown and Red. But I digress.

4 colors -- green marble is still going strong!

I am excited about this ;) Now if Edge of Chaos could just show similar progress :(

Fredrik said:

Yeah, but I didn't make any claims of colors being "prominent" there ;-)

The keyword was "more" though.
It's a slippery slope to add more colors to Doom3. Even in hell. You don't want it to end up feeling like a completely unrelated place to the setting of the original game, which this is a continuation of.

And it's a damn shame they didn't have more fun with the monster colors in Doom3. They could have done a lot with it and it would still have made sense.

Hubert H. Humphrey said:

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

I assume this was suppose to be some sort of a polite attempt to tell me to shut up.

I think your just being childish here, i have never said even once that this project sucked or that Doom 3 sucked. The only thing i ever did was posting my outrages opinion that i was not interested in this project and that i did not like modding for Doom 3, and yet some people are throwing shit at me for it.

They remind me of the console fanboy's over at gametrailers.

Not bad... a "decaying" aspect in the theme, as it appears from the shots, will do for hell to enhance the usual fire and brimstone aspects.

hardcore_gamer said:
The only thing i ever did was posting my outrages opinion that i was not interested in this project and that i did not like modding for Doom 3,

Do indeed shut up. Don't let me catch you again posting on how you don't care for what's being discussed in a thread, or you'll end up somewhere else.

http://tfuture.org/themes/phobos/img/docs/16.jpg
This is some wonderful organic/gothic architecture you've got there.

http://www.tfuture.org/kristus/hell03.jpg
It looks to me like Greco-Roman architecture is used here. This got me curious about your hell's art direction and its progression. What is its influence(s)? Hades? Dante? Etc. What is the thematic progression of your hell?

I see death and decay followed by fire and brimstone from the sequencing of shots.

Yes, there's both Roman and Gothic architecture used in the hell maps we're making. We're not tied to any specific influence.

For my self. I use different ways to get results. In One map I built a lot of the layout first and then simply fucked it up with scattered bricks, thorns, fire, corpses etc. Like this room.
http://tfuture.org/themes/phobos/img/docs/ep3.png

Another, like the shot from the unholy cathedral you showed there. I based it from an idea based on visuals.

Basically, if I get an idea that I think is cool. I'll do it.
I've drawn inspiration from any number of sources. Usually, I just listen to music and get my ideas while doing that. But with Phobos, I'm working on something that I didn't originally come up with, so I'm looking around more widely for inspiration. Some comes from Quake3, some from movies, some from Doom1 and 2.

There's really no magic bullet here. A lot of the time it's just me doodling until I get something, and then that can spark an idea to create another something etc.

This room however, was something I came up with while listening to the soundtrack of Pirates of the Caribbean; At world's end.
http://www.tfuture.org/kristus/hell02.jpg
It's of course a lot more to that room than you can see in the shot. ;)

EDIT: I've never really read much of Dante or about Hades. Hades, he/it's usually just mentioned in passing in Greek myth. I've never actually read something detailing it, and Dante's La divina comedia, I've only read excerpts from that.
We did take it into consideration when planning hell though. But we never looked closely at it. What I read of it, I didn't really think it had any great use for "our" Hell. so we looked closer at Doom instead. (all the Hell levels will have the same names as levels from Inferno of Doom1)

I would have thought that question was on everyone's mind. It would defiantly be nice that after this is released, I could enjoy it with a select group of friends, or people from this forum.

I did speak once with the guys on Opencoop about making a Coop version. But I honestly doubt it will ever happen.

Eh, I feel Doom3 works best in single player anyway.

Boy, it seems like the modern games take forever to mod for. I wish game makers would put out some good old fashioned efficient or 2d editors for their games so modders could work more quickly. I would love to see doom-style levels in more modern games.

Anyway, keep it up team! I look forward to getting a better computer that can handle Doom 3 to check out this mod!