Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Did you find the Super Secret level in Doom 2 legitimately?

1. Yes, I remember that shit from Wolfesnetein.
2. Yes, but I never found it on Wolfenstein.
3. No.

Uhh... yeah.. poll please. :( *sigh*

I'd repost this in Everything Else with a proper poll if I'd were you.

1. Yes, I remember that shit from Wolfesnetein.

Yeah, had to be one of the easiest secrets to find in the entire Doom2, provided you knew Wolf beforehand.

I wasted countless hours on Wolf3D shareware before even getting Doom shareware, and getting Doom 2 followed years after that.

(incidentally, Wolf3D must be the only game I've ever seen nightmares about :D)

Maes said:

I'd repost this in Everything Else with a proper poll if I'd were you.

I think the mods disabled my ability to post a poll, cause I couldn't find the option.... Seems fine here, anyway.

I had the full version with SoD before I sold it, played first alot and figured out the secret, then I got all the Doom and played 2 alot, and it was awesome to see it again through Map31 and 32.

1. I found the Wolfenstein secret legitimately and thus that helped me in Doom 2 :)

I didn't. I followed the walkthrough in Ed Dille's Doom II manual. :P

Hellbent said:

I think the mods disabled my ability to post a poll, cause I couldn't find the option.... Seems fine here, anyway.

Polls can only be posted in Everything Else. Yeah, I too think it's a more suitable topic for Doom General but sometimes it pays to make an exception, especially for having the clarity of a direct poll on top of your topic.

Anyway, regarding me the answer is, surprisingly, yes (or yes and no): I never found the exit to the Secret Level legitimately (but knew it existed), and since I also knew a Super Secret Level existed (The Official Doom FAQ v6.666, FTW! \o/) I just wall-hunted until I got something.

When I first played Doom 2 on the GBA, I found it entirely by accident. I was like WOA WTF NAZIS, then I thought ... hmmm are there more secrets here? and I found it.

2. I've never owned Wofenstein, but I knew there was a MAP32 and when I found the normal exit in MAP31 I decided I wanted to look for the secret exit instead. Wasn't too hard to find.

DuckReconMajor said:

2. I've never owned Wofenstein, but I knew there was a MAP32 and when I found the normal exit in MAP31 I decided I wanted to look for the secret exit instead. Wasn't too hard to find.

Well, it's an unmarked wall, but yeah, I suppose it's location is logical for a secret exit. Later secret exits in Wolfenstein were quite hard to find and randomly located.

I honestly can't remember, it was so long ago. Now, the first secret level, I definitely did not find legitimately. For the longest time, I had no idea the secret exit was even in MAP15, and even after I found that out, I struggled to figure out what combination of actions was necessary to get the secret passage to open.

One thing I definitely do remember, though, was that finding the super secret level was far more intuitive than finding the secret level. And I actually played Doom 2 before playing Wolfenstein, so I didn't have the advantage of knowing beforehand.

No, I'm the kind of guy who opens up wads in a level editor to learn where all the secrets are. If a wad isn't fun once I know where everything is, then it's not a good wad. :) A wad with good replayability can't be "spoiled".

Nope. I've always been a secret hunter, but when I was newer to Doom2 I would usually check online walkthroughs to find all the secrets I missed. Level 31 is pretty easy to find but I'm sure I needed help to find 32.

I did, however, legitimately find the secret level in the first episode of Wolfenstein. I never played much Wolf3D in the old days, but now own it again through Steam, tried playing it recently, and was able to find the secret exit because I remember it from Doom 2 :)

I found the Super Secret Level while noclipping around during the first year or two I had Doom 2. I found the first secret level thinking it was a switch that was required to get somewhere else in the map.

I can sort of tell by context clues in this thread, but just to clarify, the secret that leads to the super secret level in Doom 2 is also a secret that leads to a secret level in Wolf3d?

JohnnyRancid said:

I can sort of tell by context clues in this thread, but just to clarify, the secret that leads to the super secret level in Doom 2 is also a secret that leads to a secret level in Wolf3d?

Yes. Map31 is almost a complete remake of level 1 from Wolf3d (of course the hell parts weren't in the original), and Map32 is a remake of level 9 from Wolf3d.

So obviously if you know the secret from one, you're going to know it from the other.