Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #348

Nixot said:

You should download Chocolate Doom and test your wad with it. You'll see how horrible the lava (BRAIN) wall texture looks in actual Doom.

Or test it in Doom2.exe, in original Doom. Chocolate Doom emulates original Doom. GZDoom is a port with advanced features, and it's supposed to run maps with such features. Your map is a plain Doom2.exe wad, so make sure it runs with Doom2.exe, or Choco Doom.

Cool, original exit hint you've got there. I wouldn't delete it, even though it'd be the product of the forum making fun.

Bloodshedder said:

Ewwwwwww...

The custom palette was really a bad idea. If your palette rapes the colors so hideously in software, drop it altogether, or make your mod require a hardware renderer. That shotgun is ugly, ugly, ugly.

Gez said:

Ewwwwwww...

The custom palette was really a bad idea. If your palette rapes the colors so hideously in software, drop it altogether, or make your mod require a hardware renderer. That shotgun is ugly, ugly, ugly.

Er, what? The custom palette only modifies the blue and nukage-green ranges, which no one seems to have any issues with the Simplicity palette modifying, plus slightly altering a bit of the upper red range, afaik. It only looks bad there because the screenshot taker was using an absurdly high gamma level.

And given that the entire purpose of the palette changes is to modify the original graphics, what the hell does the renderer have to do with it? Also it's a Boom wad.

Also your posting

The supershotgun is painted GREEN. Nukage-green. It looks horrible. That is all.

What does this have with renderers? A 32-bit renderer that calculates colors on the fly instead of using the colormaps does not result in green shotguns.

Actually, there's a slight difference in the SSG sprites in Claus with certain display settings...evidence:
Shooting SSG without Claus texture wad, prboom+ 2.5.0.2 gamma 0 in a room with 255 lightning
Same as above, but with Claus texture wad
As you can see, these are pretty much identical, but:
Without Claus texture wad, gamma 4
With Claus texture wad, gamma 4
With max gamma, the difference is there. But as long as you don't play with such gamma settings, you can't really tell.

Jodwin said:

With max gamma, the difference is there. But as long as you don't play with such gamma settings, you can't really tell.

I was going to say, those screenshots are on such a horrible gamma level anyway, the shotgun would be the least of my concerns! Methinks if you need Gamma 4 to play Doom, it's probably time to invest in a new screen.

I honestly cannot see the difference between the two gamma'd out screenshots save for the barrel being a very slightly bit darker on the "with" picture. Otherwise it looks the same as gamma'd out Doom has always been.

Super Jamie said:

It's mostly the green in the inner-hand shadow that catches my eye.

There's that exact same green (well doh) also on the shadow cast by the hand on the shotgun and in different parts of the shotgun barrels. On the barrels it's most noticeable on the top of the left barrel.

I don't see what you guys are talking about. Except for some slight shading differences (it's slightly darker with Claus) the pictures are identical on all counts, including the odd markings at the ends of the barrels.

Use the eyedropper tool, the color difference is there, even if you can't see it with naked eyes on your display.

Check your monitor settings there buddy.

GreyGhost said:
I've watched too many Road Runner cartoons to fall for such an obvious trap. :-)

When walking off that ledge it'd be great if you don't fall until you look down.

Super Jamie said:

Use the eyedropper tool, the color difference is there, even if you can't see it with naked eyes on your display.

Check your monitor settings there buddy.

No, check YOURS because you obviously can't read my post. As I've stated before, there IS a slight difference in shade- one is lighter than the other- but it's not the HUGE OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE that it's being made out to be. The markings at the end of the barrel are visible without Claus, as well, so I don't know what that's all about.

dethtoll said:

No, check YOURS because you obviously can't read my post. As I've stated before, there IS a slight difference in shade- one is lighter than the other- but it's not the HUGE OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE that it's being made out to be. The markings at the end of the barrel are visible without Claus, as well, so I don't know what that's all about.

Well obviously it's a more obvious difference on some monitors than with others. My laptop monitor shows it as much bigger difference than my CRT does (though it's noticeable with it too). If it's not a big difference to you, good for you, but it is more visible to some other people.

TheDarkArchon said:

Don't expect players to instinctively violate common sense.

We just landed on Phobos. My buddies are all dead. I heard them scream. I'm standing at the entrance to a hangar leading to a base full of who-knows-what.

Do I (a) wait for the reinforcment ship armed to the heck with nukes or (b) walk into a heavily infested trap protected by no body armour and armed only with a pistol?

Errr... :P

Gez said:
That shotgun is ugly, ugly, ugly.

Heh, I hadn't noted that, though I don't use gamma correction so perhaps that's the reason. I found the palette good or okay in some respects, but worse than the original for some key aspects. For example, I like how the blue looks in skies and water, and am neutral of its changes on artificial textures, but it looks poor on pickup items and particularly UAC console screens and cacodemon mouths. The changes to green seem pretty pointless, as they're slight but make the green baron fireballs less energetic (that sprite is one of the prettiest in DOOM) and remove the cool "radioactive" impression from green slime flat. I had nothing in particular against the orange invulnerability, but strangely the edits to the red pain palette eliminate its blinding effect. That's there for a reason. Monsters go through pain states, and you go through a potentially blinding screen. Ironically, the blue item pickup color is on the other hand now a bit more blinding (where it could be less, if anything).

The new palette has some pros but does make the game a bit more dull, visually, by generalizing more neutral shades. With DOOM's standard palette, the greater use of saturation can give a better contrast between bright, exciting colors, easy to spot items, and moodier level sections created by relying on more neutral colors in certain parts.

Hacking the palette (and colormap, to a point) is tricky because many effects (be they technical or plainly aesthetic) and existing graphics rely on it.

GreyGhost said:

I've watched too many Road Runner cartoons to fall for such an obvious trap. :-)

Acme Exit

Nixot said:

Wow.

I cannot -for the life of me- comprehend why you had to be so childish. All you had to do was make one room with a tagged linedef and a exit sign. Instead, you take me as a retard, adding big bold words and multiple exit signs so I can't miss it.

Ask yourself: Who in their right mind WOULD jump into a lava pit, moreso a lava pit that isn't obviously known as a exit? During my playthrough, I kept looking around for a untextured switch or something, not to jump into a pit of fire.

You really need to grow up.

Mr. Freeze said:

Wow.

I cannot -for the life of me- comprehend why you had to be so childish. All you had to do was make one room with a tagged linedef and a exit sign. Instead, you take me as a retard, adding big bold words and multiple exit signs so I can't miss it.

Ask yourself: Who in their right mind WOULD jump into a lava pit, moreso a lava pit that isn't obviously known as a exit? During my playthrough, I kept looking around for a untextured switch or something, not to jump into a pit of fire.

You really need to grow up.

Even though expecting the player to jump into a wall of flames to magically end the level is indeed very, very stupid, i still don't think bashing the author like this is much better.

I was being overly sarcastic regarding the exit. I think the people who think I should grow up should grow down. Doom isn't that serious, and as MartinHowe said, entering a demon-infested base with only a pistol and 50 bullets violates more common sense than jumping into a lava pit.

Instead, you take me as a retard, adding big bold words and multiple exit signs so I can't miss it.

But you did miss it, dear! Perhaps this will help you in your travels!

Nixot said:

But you did miss it, dear! Perhaps this will help you in your travels!

Stop being a baby. Acting like a condescending prick when you were clearly in the wrong is just making you look even worse. Do everyone a favor and either man up or just stop mapping, because you obviously can't take anything resembling criticism.

Hey, I can take criticism. I didn't defend my mep Exol Base. I didn't defend this map, and instead resubmitted with a few improvements.

Nixot said:
I was being overly sarcastic regarding the exit. I think the people who think I should grow up should grow down. Doom isn't that serious, and as MartinHowe said, entering a demon-infested base with only a pistol and 50 bullets violates more common sense than jumping into a lava pit.

This is the dumbest thing I've seen all week, and I post at TTLG. Telling people to "grow down" because you don't want to stop being a baby about this is just incredible. You obviously can't take criticism because of how you reacted. If that screenshot of yours is your idea of "a few improvements" maybe you should just stop making Doom maps. Go make some orangemaps for TF2, that seems to be your speed.

Oh, and walking into a demon-infested base with only 50 rounds and a pistol is the whole point of the game. We all do that all day every day. What we DON'T do is something illogical like jumping into lava with no rhyme or reason.

udderdude said:

Stop being a baby. Acting like a condescending prick when you were clearly in the wrong is just making you look even worse. Do everyone a favor and either man up or just stop mapping, because you obviously can't take anything resembling criticism.

dethtoll said:

This is the dumbest thing I've seen all week, and I post at TTLG. Telling people to "grow down" because you don't want to stop being a baby about this is just incredible. You obviously can't take criticism because of how you reacted. If that screenshot of yours is your idea of "a few improvements" maybe you should just stop making Doom maps. Go make some orangemaps for TF2, that seems to be your speed.

Oh, and walking into a demon-infested base with only 50 rounds and a pistol is the whole point of the game. We all do that all day every day. What we DON'T do is something illogical like jumping into lava with no rhyme or reason.

I find it pretty amazing how some people here have been reacting over what appears to be a mildly entertaining joke made by the author.

The guy made a map, people could not find the exit and started to mock him for it. So he uploaded a somewhat amusing image that pointed out where the exit was, and people are actually getting angry? Wow!

Mr. Freeze said:

All you had to do was make one room with a tagged linedef and a exit sign. Instead, you take me as a retard, adding big bold words and multiple exit signs so I can't miss it.

And yet you missed it anyways?