Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

Generic Jump Disable

So, it's been a LONG time...

Anyway, I've been tinkering around with an old Heretic map I've picked up and put down at least 3 times now, but I think I actually have a little momentum going, and now have a question: is there a way to disable jumping in ZDoom without adding a ZDoom specific feature (such that the .WAD will still work in Boom/MBF or PrBoom)?

Yup. Put a MAPINFO lump in your wad that disables jumping. All other ports will just ignore it and function as usual.

Creaphis said:

Yup. Put a MAPINFO lump in your wad that disables jumping. All other ports will just ignore it and function as usual.

Except ZDaemon that will shit a brick. Otherwise, yup.

What crap. Zdaemon used to fall over if it hit anything in a MAPINFO it couldn't parse, but nowadays it simply ignores it.

Oh and NOJUMP works there just fine ;>

Gez said:

Except ZDaemon that will shit a brick. Otherwise, yup.

ZDaemon had problems with 'nocrouch' but not 'nojump'.

Thanks, all. It just struck me as a little silly to keep putting the "please don't jump" message in the .TXT file when I could just as easily remove the option...

MAPINFO is a ZDoom and its child ports (ie: Skulltag, GZDoom) related lump. It doesn't work in other source ports.

Doomsday also utilizes a MAPINFO lump, though it is formatted differently. So, no, a ZDoom MAPINFO lump will not work in Doomsday, and vice versa.

Although I think a couple commands are the same. I don't know about nojumping though.

Cybershark said:
What crap. Zdaemon used to fall over if it hit anything in a MAPINFO it couldn't parse, but nowadays it simply ignores it.

Heh, I must admit I'm at least partially to blame for spreading the crap. It looks like I had an older version of the server in my ZDaemon folder back when I tried Plutonia 2 right after it was released (January '09), but with the current one (June '08 build) there's no problem. This is good news because it means we won't have to do weird shit with the MAPINFO lump in the next bug-fix release of the WAD.