Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

DaggerXL

Wow this is great, looks like there's already been quite a bit of work on this. I enjoyed the game immensely but the engine was plagued with weird bugs and annoyances.

Now I've got to find my old Daggerfall disc. I wasn't able to play it because it didn't support my video card at the time.

DaggerXL after DarkXL? Can I hope for a ShadowXL next, or is Shadowcaster not planned because it doesn't start with a 'D'? :P

Can't wait, Daggerfall was fun, but some of the random dungeons were just completely weirded out in Dosbox.

Gez said:

DaggerXL after DarkXL? Can I hope for a ShadowXL next, or is Shadowcaster not planned because it doesn't start with a 'D'? :P

It'll be some time before I start anything else - I think DarkXL and DaggerXL are enough to keep my free time occupied for quite sometime. I have no idea what a next project would be, but starting with 'D' wouldn't be a serious requirement. :P

Thanks for the interest.

I've played Daggerfall with the 2.13 patch and I honestly can't understand why people complain so much about bugs in the game. I haven't encountered anything that I wouldn't describe as an 'unintended feature' or otherwise convenient flaw in design (like robbing shops by resting till they're closed or taking your wagon with you into the dungeon).

Not that I'd really want the remake to include them, but it would feel nice to have the old exploits at my disposal.

Minor rant aside, this is great news.

Belial said:

I've played Daggerfall with the 2.13 patch and I honestly can't understand why people complain so much about bugs in the game.

Some people remember having to run fixsave repeatedly, sometimes fruitlessly. Some people remember falling in the void between tiles. Some people remember countless crashes and freezes. In short, some people remember playing the game when it was new.

Hey Lucius, what license will this engine have?

Daggerfall was the worst by far in this respect, though. Of course, what was released was basically a development version, full of half-implemented features and other surprises. At a moment they said "let's stop playing with the code and instead release that thing before we run out of money", and that's what they did. The subsequent patches fixed a ton of bug in part by simply deleting non-functioning cruft that interfered with fully-implemented features.

jute said:

Hey Lucius, what license will this engine have?

I haven't released the source code yet, when that happens I'll decide on the best license based on what will be best to keep the project healthy. In other words, undecided. :)

Sweet. The only time I found Daggerfall to be properly playable was when I installed it on a computer from 1995. That worked fine (for a Bethesda game) but the bulk of the thing caused that machine to be recycled.

Any thoughts on controls? Daggerfall's system was interesting but it's tiring to play. Or are you thinking of leaving that 100% vanilla?

Aliotroph? said:

Sweet. The only time I found Daggerfall to be properly playable was when I installed it on a computer from 1995. That worked fine (for a Bethesda game) but the bulk of the thing caused that machine to be recycled.

Any thoughts on controls? Daggerfall's system was interesting but it's tiring to play. Or are you thinking of leaving that 100% vanilla?

Vanilla controls will be the default (at least the mouse look setup) but I'm not against adding optional changes if people want them.

What bothered me was the gestures are tiring. Only problem is the combat is so focused on that I'm not sure what would make a good alternative. Button combos, maybe? Not sure.

I suspect this is going to turn into an example of you building a nice engine for a game that was never properly finished. Daggerfall is a world of little detail and generic architecture. The bigness of it is the appeal. :) Well, that and the region/weather based music. I wish new games had that! I was half tempted to try and script it for Oblivion.

Gez said:

Some people remember falling in the void between tiles.

That may have been the problem with my game. Whenever I loaded it up, I was dropped into blackness with some sprites floating around. I thought it was a video problem.

Sounds like the experience I had with the demo that came on my Future Shock CD. When the game loaded I fell into the void and drowned. The drowning part made no sense; Privateer's Hold has no water and drowning isn't a known effect of the void. Anywyay, was able to explore a bit with a no-clipping code, but that wasn't worth it.

An install of the game on one of my old computers was really buggy. Seems to work better with this release and in DOSbox. That said, I did manage to glitch an elven sabre out of existence and had to reload to get it back, causing me to spend 20 minutes selling loot again.

Light blue is the default color of all cloth items in Daggerfall; then a translation is applied to offer many colors. Presumably, translations haven't been implemented yet; collecting clothing of all available colors and reverse-engineering the color ranges involved is long, tedious and not really that fun to do.

So this means Daggerfall will end up playable in the future!

Arena is still untouchable though, in the bad way.

Arena should be subtitled "Escape from the Dugeon of Death". Because seriously, just getting out of the starter dungeon is pretty much an epic feat.

Aliotroph? said:

Igave up on Area for exactly that reason.

"Even Ken Rolston, lead designer of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, says he started the game at least twenty times and only got out of the beginning dungeon once.", says Wikipedia. Yeah...

TBQH, Morrowind is by far the best game in the series. I just wish I could get it to work on my computer. FUCKING ONBOARD VIDEO ADGSAJHGSJDGJDSG

Danarchy said:

Arena should be subtitled "Escape from the Dugeon of Death". Because seriously, just getting out of the starter dungeon is pretty much an epic feat.

lol

There has been some additional updates on the DaggerXL blog since the demo. You can check them out here

I like the cow! :)

I didn't realize that Daggerfall used the same engine as those two Terminator games (Future Shock and SkyNet).

An update: there have been new posts on the blog since my last update, including movies showing Daggerfall at night as well as during the day with NPCs wandering around. In addition Demo 2 is on the verge of being released.

See http://daggerxl.wordpress.com for more information.

I've started a "Screenshot of the Day" on the blog, which shows off various different areas using the development build as well as interesting DaggerXL screenshots submitted by users. I plan on updating the SotD roughly every day (thus the name), so check it out. :) There's also an archive so you can view previous Screenshots of the Day.