Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Getting the most out of the Doom(2) textures

I just had the random idea of posting texture combos that work well in doom. One example is:

floor: mflr8_3
ceiling: flat5_3
walls: wood1

You can also post step textures or upper/lower textures as well if you want to include good stair/floor combos or other combos. Rather than suggesting someone should make a handy little mapper's graphical guide to texturing that would have a bunch of texture schemes that look good (I don't want to do this, and I doubt anyone else does) I'll just ask people to post texture schemes they think look good. You can either list them or post a screenshot. I'd prefer if we keep this to stock doom/doom2 textures.

Reason for this post is that for me the hardest part of mapping is using good texture schemes. It might prove helpful to others as well.

How hard is it to stick to a consistent texture theme? I just make the entire map first in low detail with the same texture throughout the entire map, then add details using textures that are remotely the same color.

JohnnyRancid said:

How hard is it to stick to a consistent texture theme? I just make the entire map first in low detail with the same texture throughout the entire map, then add details using textures that are remotely the same color.

uhh... *scratches head* have you played through the original 3 episodes of doom lately? It's not exactly all marble, or all wood, or all compblue rooms.... What I'm asking is to come up with texture combos that work well but aren't necessarily the same type of texture, like in the example I gave. Thus I'm not interested in examples from Thy Flesh Consumed for instance.

ceiling: FLOOR1_6
wall: GSTONE1
floor: FLAT10

Mmmmmmm, E3M7. I love that crazy red ceiling. Everything to be red, to seem hellish.

Here's another combination:
ceiling: CEIL3_5
wall: STARTAN3
floor: FLOOR4_8

Episode 1. Even more so, paste CEIL3_5 on every ceiling, regardless of corresponding higher wall texture.

printz said:

ceiling: CEIL3_5
wall: STARTAN3
floor: FLOOR4_8

Dammit you beat me to it :P

I'm also a big fan of FLOOR7_2/STARG3/FLOOR7_1 (brown floor with green star walls and green stone roof). You'll recognise that from the E1M3 exit with the rising stairs.

FLOOR0_1/PIPE6/NUKAGE1 (pattered roof with glowing-bottom pipes and nukage) is from the slime areas in E2M3, which is one of my favorite locations of all time.

Doom 2 has alot of good-looking brown textures. I love making rooms with just CEIL5_2/BROWN96/CEIL5_2 (brown brown brown :P). The BRONZE walls also work well. Use SUPPORT3 to break it up, METAL2 onwards for inset detailing.

JohnnyRancid said:

How hard it is to stick to a consistent theme depends entirely on how you map. I like your way of mapping, it is very efficient, and it is ideal for sticking to one theme.

But not everybody maps like this. I would love to be able to map like this way you have mentioned, but my mind doesn't seem to work like that. I finish one room/area, detail it completely, and then move on to the next room/area. This way does make it harder to stick to one theme, even if I already have the whole map planned out in my head. But on the other hand, doing it this way seems to help me come up with lots of new ideas also. Mostly these ideas I have to remove from the map I am working on and paste them into a 'scraps' wad so I can stay with a consistent theme. But my point is that some people will find it harder than others to to stick to a consistent theme.

Not that I am making excuses here. Good maps should stick to a consistent theme. Just saying, 's all.