Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Csonicgo

Newcastle Discovery to Render World's Balls Inert

Scientists in Newcastle claim to have created human sperm in the laboratory in what they say is a world first.

They say this raises ethical issues because it uses embryos or something.

<insert witty Monty Python song here>

If this proves to be effective, I can't wait to see if this can be used to treat infertility in general... If it doesn't involve a huge needle, that is.

But I can see some people in the coming years whining that this only makes the goal for creating a clone army even closer.

The "issue" is more that they're destroying an embryo to make a sperm.

Some people argue an embryo has a right to life, though in most Western nations this is not legally considered the case until about 3 months after fertilisation.

I think embryo and stem cell research is a great thing, I mean what if we cure cancer or AIDS with it? That would ease the suffering of millions.

I wonder how long it will be before some crazed scientist gets a God complex and goes cloning Hitler or something.

Something disturbing did just occur to me though. Where do they get all the fertilised embryos from?

"They began with stem cell lines derived from human embryos donated following IVF treatment."

While current research is using human embryos (illegal in many countries) I expect in due course they'll work out how to achieve the same result using adult stem cells.

Great just what we need...more fertile people and a way for feminazis to create a pure gynarchy.

Danarchy said:

Great just what we need...more fertile people and a way for feminazis to create a pure gynarchy.

Come on, that comment isn't nearly misogynist enough. You need to mention that they'd need to keep the male scientists as slaves to do it for them, as they're too stupid to figure it out themselves. Also too busy cleaning the kitchen lol.

Jeez, I have to do everything around here, don't I?

Super Jamie said:

I wonder how long it will be before some crazed scientist gets a God complex and goes cloning Hitler or something.

I wonder why people always assume that would result in the "same" person. I mean, it might have Hitler's DNA, but it wouldn't have his upbringing, social climate or memories. It wouldn't actually be Hitler.

Not that this has anything to do with artificial jizz and such.

Great. 6.6 billion people on the planet and rapidly rising and what do we do? Find yet more ways to reach the carrying capacity of the planet as quickly as possible. What we actually need to do is really render the world's balls inert and provide no substitute either. :P

This seems rather pointless, you need a sperm to create an embryo in the first place (egg + sperm = embryo).

DooMAD said:

I wonder why people always assume that would result in the "same" person. I mean, it might have Hitler's DNA, but it wouldn't have his upbringing, social climate or memories. It wouldn't actually be Hitler.

And there you have the whole "nature vs nurture" argument.

Yes, we know how that works. Sex ed was fun!

Creating more fertility in the west is fine. What we need to do is sterilize large populations of religious people.

Aliotroph? said:

Creating more fertility in the west is fine. What we need to do is sterilize large populations of religious people.

There are large populations of religious people in the west.

printz said:

No more need for males? D: Oh splat what am I gonna do now

Find a woman who's willing to keep you as a pet and try to avoid being neutered. :-)

DooMAD said:

Reminds me of the movie The Boys From Brazil...

DooMAD said:

Not that this has anything to do with artificial jizz and such.

Because anybody that would clone Hitler would probably also be intent on conditioning the resulting person to take up the same beliefs and role. Of course the only reason to do that would be to create a figurehead for white supremacists and Neo-Nazis to gravitate toward, since there are plenty of people around now who believe the exact same things Hitler believed. They just don't have the power to act on it.

Aliotroph? said:

People in Africa, the Middle East and parts of China and Mexico mainly.

This is one step closer to a Brave New World.

Gez said:

There are large populations of religious people in the west.

Also in the East.

Bloodskull said:

Coming soon...The Sperminator.

Yeah, except that's my fucking nickname, haha. No joke... it seriously is... :-{

Butts said:

Yeah, except that's my fucking nickname, haha. No joke... it seriously is... :-{

Don't try to compensate for something you don't have :P