Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
justsomemusicguy

DOOM music remakes

Hi guys,
so I've been remaking and remixing a lot of DOOM music lately (and music from other games as well), and I thought:
'Hey, maybe those guys on DoomWorld are interested!'
So that's when I started the topic. If you wanna check them out, go to my Youtube channel:
http://youtube.com/user/justsomemusicguy

Remakes I have on Youtube:
* E1M1 (of course :)), "At Doom's Gate"
* E1M8, "Sign of Evil"
* E2M6, "Sinister"
* E3M1, "Hell Keep"
* MAP06, "In the Dark"
* TNT: Evilution MAP06, "Evilution Technology"

And there's a lot more to be uploaded...

By the way, if you want the MP3, I put the link into the description of some of the videos. The other ones I still have to upload.

And yes, I know there's a lot of guys out there remaking DOOM music and stuff, but feel free to let me know what you think anyway!

Do you know of Sonic Clang and Dimaension X? The first artist redid the first episode of Doom while the second did all of the Doom2 music except the intermission music.

Mr. Chris said:

Do you know of Sonic Clang and Dimaension X? The first artist redid the first episode of Doom while the second did all of the Doom2 music except the intermission music.

Yeah, SonicClang did the Classic DOOM III remakes. Those were awesome!
And I know, different remakes can sound the same. But everyone has his own style, and I really enjoy making music, so I don't care.

...never heard of Dimaension X though. Time to Google...

The remakes of E1M1 and E3M1 are both very cool. E3M1 in particular sounds cooler than a lot of the remixes I've heard.

The ones for the other maps are also very well-made, but in a way I think you did too good a job of staying true to the original tracks. Your remakes of those sounded too similar to the originals, I think, and I think sound more like the original tracks with better instruments than actual remakes. Fortunately, the original tracks of those were already cool and by association are cooler with better instruments, but they could stand to have a little more character of their own, beyond adding extra chords here and there.

Overall though, good work :)

These sound quite professional, though they also seem timed so exactly on the originals that they could be just a fancy soundfont rather than a remake with your own bits added.

I will say, whatever you did to E1M8 is awesome. It's now way more epic than the battle it goes with.

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

StupidBunny:
...but in a way I think you did too good a job of staying true to the original tracks. Your remakes of those sounded too similar to the originals, I think, and I think sound more like the original tracks with better instruments than actual remakes.

Super Jamie:
These sound quite professional, though they also seem timed so exactly on the originals that they could be just a fancy soundfont rather than a remake with your own bits added.

You guys are right. Some of them may sound too similar to the original tracks. I noticed this at first when I almost finished E2M6, so I added the piano parts to add something original yet in the same atmosphere...

Luckily though I recently finished a new DOOM piece, and this is a mix of E2M2 and MAP28, and I've also done MAP01 with a different solo than the original track. Those might be more intersting once I've uploaded those.
But I have to make a video for those tracks first :)

OP: I like what I hear, I cannot wait to see more of Doom's music being produced and made available for download.

justsomemusicguy said:

Luckily though I recently finished a new DOOM piece, and this is a mix of E2M2 and MAP28, and I've also done MAP01 with a different solo than the original track. Those might be more intersting once I've uploaded those.

Sounds cool, look forward to hearing it, please do let us know when they're up! :)

If you're looking for ideas, the above mentioned Dimaension X Doom 2 album is great. He uses an actual guitar to play most parts, and the whole production is of really high quality.

I probably pimp this way too much, but SlayeR did tracker remixes of the songs in Doom Redemption which I think sound totally rad.

There's also the Doomworld Music Remix page, with links to the famous (though a little boring) Kinkiness and Ashley Carr remixes, as well as many other individual songs and collections.

Shouldn't links to Dimaension X's Doom2 remake music be added to that Doomworld page?

There's a lot of other remixes worth mentioning.
Try browsing on the OverClocked Remix site. It's totally worth it!
http://www.ocremix.org/

One of the best remixes I've heard in my life is out there, too. It's called "Purgatory" by N-JekteD.
Other notable remixes there are done by Analoq, Mazedude, Evil Horde, the Orichalon, to name some.

(Some OCRemixes are already on the DoomWorld remix page)

Text music in the first doom ocremix is really nice (I think it is named something with dawn). They added lyrics to it.

Reaper978 said:

Is there a way I can use these while I play the game?

I believe ZDoom supports MP3, so I guess it's possible to throw all the MP3's in one WAD, name each track after the original and you're done!
...or not. I've never put MP3's in a WAD, so I don't know...
But technically it should work this way. And if you don't wanna rename all the MP3's you should assign each track to the right map in the MAPINFO lump.

I've never been able to get into the OCRemix Doom albums. Like, the production is really professional, but they change the feel of the music too much.

Prince's tracks are really rocky and action-filled, even the lounge songs convey a dark, depressed sense of "something's coming".

The OCRemixes seem more like laid-back, slow, muzak-sounding tracks. Like you'd hear as background music in a wanky cafe or something. Most of them aren't even recognisable from their originals.