Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

Mechwarrior 5 powered by UE3

Since it uses UE3 , I'm in the clear, as my experience with Unreal Engine-based games usually is positive in terms of compatibility with my graphics card.

WILL DEFINITELY BE GRABBIN THIS

Heh, I was playing Mech3 last night. This new installment could be cool, I just hope they don't dumb it down into an FPS.

Neat, this looks nice.

Oh and thanks a lot Coopersville for combo breaking the fish right away.

I never played Mech2. I had the disc, but none of the computers I tried it on would run it. All I would get is a bunch of error messages that would basically say, "What the fuck is this shit?".

I think once I was able to see the intro video and the main menu, but there was no sound and I stopped shortly after that.

Do want.

I played Mech2 until my last compatable computer putzed out in '06.
Then I found DOSbox and am playing it on occasion again.

Csonicgo said:

Since it uses UE3 , I'm in the clear, as my experience with Unreal Engine-based games usually is positive in terms of compatibility with my graphics card.

Compatibility with your graphics card??? If you have a card capable of running that engine how does it have problems with almost anything else?

I might need to try this MechWarrior stuff some time soon.

Hope they get the megaton feeling in there. UE3 is a 6025% better engine than Source is (runs better and is a better development environment too), but UT3/GoW feels hollow, hope MW5 doesn't carry the same hollow feeling and end up having atmosphere like UT3/GoW.

MW2 = best.

Bank said:

Oh and thanks a lot Coopersville for combo breaking the fish right away.

If someone wants to add fins to my avatar, I'll gladly re-join the bandwagon.

MechWarrior games are the only games besides Doom I actually go out of my way to purchase and own legal copies of. I still have original releaseday Mech 2, Mercs, 3 and 4 boxes on my shelf.

I couldn't really care what engine the games uses, it's the gameplay that matters. Mechwarrior 2 is still a far superior sim to the disappointing, watered-down, FASA/Microsoft arcade bullshit that was Mechwarrior 4.

To me, the whole franchise died after Zipper/Microprose's Mechwarrior 3, which was a good game and struck a nice balance of tactical sim with "instant action" to include more modern gamers, though lacked the replayability of Mech 2.

Considering this MW5 (simply titled MechWarrior) is being made by Piranha Games, which was founded by the dude who ran FASA, I am incredibly dubious this will be any good.

Still, time will tell and I'd absolutely love for them to make me eat my words.

DJ_Haruko said:

I've only played a demo of 2, but it was awesome. Is 3 anything like it? How about 4?

3 is a good game, but the campaign is "dry" and the AI isn't all that great. The enemy only shoots within 800m and their load-outs usually suck, so a missile boat can cruise through the whole game. Graphics are "mid-range" and it includes a software renderer for shit computers. I say 3 is the second best in the series, with 2 being the best. The AI in 2 kicked my ass.

4 is a good example of how a huge budget doesn't make a better game. It contains a lot of really cheesy FMVs(much worse than 3s voice-overs). The heat and weapons/armor system has changed, probably to combat the "missile boat" problem in the previous games, but I hated it. The worst part though is the controls, they just feel "sloppy" compared to 3, it's like you're underwater. Also the graphics don't really look any better than 3s, they should have waited more than a year before making the next game.

Scet said:

But MechWarrior 4 sucked, I want 2 and 3.

So true dude. MW2:MERCS and MW3 was so freakin' beast back in the day.

MW3 was probably my favorite out of the series because it captured the feeling of the mechs so perfectly. They just felt so big and heavy just like they should and as a result it made the game just so immersive. MW4 didn't capture that feeling at all. The mechs felt like little toys rather than big walking machines of death. I also feel that MW4 is what led to the creation of the awful MechAssault games.

My hope is that the new MechWarrior will capture the same feeling for the mechs that MW3 had. Telling from the trailer and the interview with Weisman and Bullock, that's exactly what they're trying to do. It sounds like they know what made the previous MechWarrior games so great which was the simulator aspect of the game. I hope that they try their absolute hardest to preserve the simulator aspect on the PC and not compromise it for the inferior Xbox 360.

Captain Red said:

Reactor......ONLINE
    Sensors......ONLINE
    Weapons......ONLINE

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hell. Fucking. Yeah.[/b]

Holy shit! I used to have that clip for the start up sound every time I turned on my computer. I need to do that again...

Coopersville said:

If someone wants to add fins to my avatar, I'll gladly re-join the bandwagon.

I could probably throw something together real quick in photoshop, if you'd like.

If you're feeling less lazy than me, go nuts.

I've only played the Mechwarrior 2 demo. It was pretty awesome, I just never had any luck finding any of the games when they were released, so I didn't get to play them. My friend owns the second one, but the graphics look so dated now, that it might interfere with my appreciation for it. Is it really worth trying?

Coopersville said:

Mechwarrior 2... Is it really worth trying?

Yes, though the demo is a fairly good indication of gameplay, there's just a bit more story and customization behind it. You use something called "mw2hook" to get it to work under WinXP.

I still have the MW2 Cd lying around the house somewhere...now where the hell could it BE?!

Must try that mw2hook thing...