Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Daggerfall now FREE

Recommended Posts

Is it declared free by the same crew of Zenimax that bought id? In case it's so, shouldn't this be a news article, just because the companies are now related? :P

Share this post


Link to post

And after having been told repeatedly that it would never happen...

Share this post


Link to post

Kickass! I was just going to ask my sister if she still had her copy.

Share this post


Link to post

I would have played this if the people who wrote the code for it, hadn't used their penis to write it.

Share this post


Link to post

I've always enjoyed the Elder Scrolls, but the games are always all concept and no execution. Morrowind was awesome because it had an amazing atmosphere and a compelling story, but the combat sucked and the characters were statues. Oblivion was great visuals and better combat but deadpan voice acting and a cliched setting.

Daggerfall is just too fucking big and every place looks the same.

Share this post


Link to post
kristus said:

I would have played this if the people who wrote the code for it, hadn't used their penis to write it.

Thanks. Now I have unpleasant images in my head. LOL

[edit] Oh, and Yay! this is cool news. [/edit]

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if Carmack would/could suggest they release the source, since he's now in the same parent company...

Share this post


Link to post

It boggles my mind when companies release games as freeware without source. I get the impression they're not interested in cleaning out bits of licensed code like id had to do with DOOM's sound code. Still, boggles the mind sometimes. Lucius would have an easier time building DaggerXL with some code to dig in. Daggerfall must have a lot of AI code and a lot of events tied to things like dates and weather.

I need to figure out how the ranged weapons work. I never got it.

As for Morrowind and Oblivion, they were both much more playable with tons of mods. In both cases I added mods that made the levelling transparent. For Morrowind I added the Morrowind Graphics Extender and some texture pack to make it pretty (side effect: feels smaller). FOr Oblivion I dumped in OOO to make the balance play more like Morrowind and then added a combat mod to make the combat more complex (and buggy). Ahh, glorious video games!

Share this post


Link to post
kristus said:

I would have played this if the people who wrote the code for it, hadn't used their penis to write it.

Disturbing...

Anyway, I'm going to download this. ^^

Share this post


Link to post

Hehehe, his imagery is disturbing, but it raises a good point: Bethesda games are buggy. Daggerfall demands you save and save often. It's almost guaranteed to crash once in a while or even just have you fall into the void. There are other bugs I'm not even aware of because I haven't played enough.

The download died on me. Have since restarted it. Reading their forums, it seems they included a patch in the archive, but it needs to be installed separately.

They also linked to a detailed set of instructions in PDF for installing it with DOSbox, including what settings to change.

Share this post


Link to post

I really don't have too much respect for Bethesda. I've always had a shit load of problems with any game I've bought from them so far. I've got Morrowind for both the Xbox and the PC, and they both crash frequently. I bought Oblivion as well as the two expansion packs for the 360, and I can't even beat the fighter's guild quest because every time I try to enter Cheydinhal (which coincidentally plays an important role in several other quests), the game freezes and crashes. I tried resetting the cache and made sure there were no scratches or anything like that on the CD and it still doesn't work. I haven't experienced as many crashes with Fallout 3, but I've still run into a shit load of major bugs, including corpses with valuable or extremely important items falling through the floor, making it impossible to get the items, which also means I need to reload my last save and pray that it doesn't happen again. Also, every now and then I'll get this really weird bug where rag dolls will just spas out for no reason and stretch all over the room. Sometimes this happens with the buildings too.

Share this post


Link to post
Craigs said:

Also, every now and then I'll get this really weird bug where rag dolls will just spas out for no reason and stretch all over the room. Sometimes this happens with the buildings too.


It's absolutely wonderful when it happens outside, isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Craigs said:

I really don't have too much respect for Bethesda. I've always had a shit load of problems with any game I've bought from them so far. I've got Morrowind for both the Xbox and the PC, and they both crash frequently. I bought Oblivion as well as the two expansion packs for the 360, and I can't even beat the fighter's guild quest because every time I try to enter Cheydinhal (which coincidentally plays an important role in several other quests), the game freezes and crashes. I tried resetting the cache and made sure there were no scratches or anything like that on the CD and it still doesn't work. I haven't experienced as many crashes with Fallout 3, but I've still run into a shit load of major bugs, including corpses with valuable or extremely important items falling through the floor, making it impossible to get the items, which also means I need to reload my last save and pray that it doesn't happen again. Also, every now and then I'll get this really weird bug where rag dolls will just spas out for no reason and stretch all over the room. Sometimes this happens with the buildings too.

I pirated Morrowind back in the day. I loved it and it ran great. Then Windows died and I had to reformat my HD and reinstall it. I decided I loved Morrowind enough to buy myself a copy. I installed it. It crashed my computer every 5 minutes, making it unplayable. I have no idea what happened there, but this makes me want to pirate more games.

Share this post


Link to post

There's been only 1 Bethesda game that has given me serious issues. Fallout 3. I've played it on 3 systems, one of which was AMD/ATi and the other Intel/Nvidia, and it's been unstable on each. But Morrowind and Oblivion have always been very stable on many systems for me. Though, some issues do crop up in Morrowind like falling through geometry while jumping but it's rare. Haven't played Daggerfall yet so I'll see how that goes.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm downloading it now, hopefully I can get it to run on Vista 64. I won't cream about Bethesda and say they can do no wrong, because they can, but I did enjoy Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3. I got the demo for Daggerfall 10 years ago, and I was very impressed by it, managed to creep the hell out of me with the abandoned dungeons, torture devices, blood stained walls, and texts about vampires. I've never really had huge problems with their games, Morrowind crashed a couple of times but it was nothing that destroyed the experience, Oblivion on 360 has ran great with no crashes for about 200 hours. Fallout 3 has had some graphic tearing issues from time to time, which is annoying, but I've never had anything that actually completely screwed me over happen in a Bethesda game. The wide open terrain and gameplay is great, the lore is amazing, but they could work on the main story lines a bit more. It seems like they're getting a bit more closed in though, especially in Fallout 3, there's maybe four cities that actually feel like cities, most of it is just abandoned wastes or ruins with a couple of people living in them. Still, they make very engrossing games, and if I get 90 hours out of a game at the least I've gotten my moneys worth.

Share this post


Link to post

The only consistent problem I've ever had with their games is Oblivion deciding something in a save was bad and crashing every two minutes. With enough patience this eventually went away every time I saw it. It only happened on one of my computers. I have found numerous bugs in every Bethesda game I'm played, though. Morrowind even has crash-recovery saves like MS Word. Funny stuff, that.

Wait, correction: I had a demo of Daggerfall on a CD for one of their other games. It never worked. I would start the game and fall through the floor and drown. I had to use a no-clipping code from the net just to see the dungeon in the demo. That was pretty bad. The concept of Daggerfall was so cool I ended up finding it and playing it anyway.

When I was a kid and had v1.1 of DOOM I used to have nasty bugs all the time too. One of the worst was losing control of the mouse and having the guy just spin around uncontrollably. I forget whether it was 1.2 or 1.666 that fixed that bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Aliotroph? said:

When I was a kid and had v1.1 of DOOM I used to have nasty bugs all the time too. One of the worst was losing control of the mouse and having the guy just spin around uncontrollably. I forget whether it was 1.2 or 1.666 that fixed that bug.

That still happens to me when using source ports! Maybe it's my punishment for not using a Microsoft mouse.

Share this post


Link to post

If that were the case I'd be having the same issue. My mouse is one of those Logitech things with eight buttons. My bro had a mouse that would get confused sometimes and send the view straight up and spinning so fast the game would be blurry if it supported that. Didn't matter what game; that mouse was just confused. In DOOM it was always more like it just got stuck accepting inputs and kept doing the previous thing.

Share this post


Link to post

I have never played this game but I do like the Elder Scrolls so a try is in order.

Share this post


Link to post

I've been intrigued by this game for a long time, excited to try it

...

wow it's more horrible than I could have ever imagined

Share this post


Link to post

Enjoy talking to 750 000+ NPC

Also...

''Daggerfall is the largest Elder Scrolls game to date, featuring a game world estimated as being 161,600 square kilometres (62,394 square miles or 40,400,000 acres) with over 15,000 towns, cities, villages, and dungeons for the player's character to explore.''

Boy must that be boring.

Share this post


Link to post

Most of that space is boring. The places worth exploring are the dungeons. That's where you get loot. Between the parts of High Rock and Hammerfell in the game there are something like fifty kingdoms. You can have separate legal reputations and bank accounts for each. This means you can have a place for committing crimes or not repaying bank loans and everywhere else won't mind.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×