Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DuckReconMajor

For the skybase junkies

Here are some tiling skies to use in your floating masterpieces.

WAD

WAD

A nice tiling blue sky by arrgh:

WAD

More junk by me. If you think I should smooth out the center area, let me know and I'll give it another shot:

WAD

Uhh, this tiling Doom 2 SKY1 showed up in my XWE folder. I don't remember if it's mine or not. So if you're sure this is yours, claim it.

WAD

It's a good start, but agreeing with Kristus, it looks like snowballs.

Maybe you could add more blue to the sky and try to get "Doom" quality clouds. For example, as much as the Map01 sky on Doom 2 sucks, the clouds are of quality, then look at Plutonia sky, it's MUCH better and mainly consists of clouds.

^
Just constructive criticism, nothing more.

Aside from the snowball impression, it's too simplistic. It looks like the same design pasted all over, in different sizes.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, I probably shouldn't have posted this to begin with. I just got overexcited when I made one that didn't look terrible ingame (though some of you may disagree). It's really just the flower brush in Photoshop which looks like clouds when changed to Doom gfx. I thought it was clever at the time. I'll definitely keep trying.

Does anyone know of any blue tiling skies that are up for use?

I found some Photoshop cloud brushes here that should work.

Just install them in to your Photoshop brushes folder. Just go to your Photoshop folder, presets, brushes and drag the brushes into that folder.

Good luck!

I edited the gray sky a bit and plan to use it in my project, is that OK? I'll be sure to add you in the credits.

I kinda realized that the grey sky doesn't really fit even when I tweaked the brightness and contrast to make it white, so I took this sky texture, resized it, converted it to the Doom palette and made it tile:

It looks a bit ugly because the Doom palette doesn't have many light blue colours. IIRC the Heretic palette has more blues than the Doom one so I might make another version touched up for Heretic.

That's really cool. Are you using it for a project or would you like me to put it into the OP under your name? I'll need it in a wad though (I tried sticking .png back into Doom gfx and it wasn't pretty, maybe it's just XWE).

arrrgh said:

It looks a bit ugly because the Doom palette doesn't have many light blue colours.

Tell me about it. Wanna know a secret? That gray sky was supposed to be blue. :P

DuckReconMajor said:

That's really cool. Are you using it for a project or would you like me to put it into the OP under your name? I'll need it in a wad though (I tried sticking .png back into Doom gfx and it wasn't pretty, maybe it's just XWE).

I'm using it for my project but I'm fine with it being used elsewhere. I had to convert the bmp to png so the imagehost wouldn't mess it up. Here's a zip with the sky in a WAD and in BMP format.

DuckReconMajor said:

Tell me about it.Wanna know a secret? That gray sky was supposed to be blue. :P

Something similar happened when I converted my sky, the palette conversion left ugly clumps of grey pixels all over the place.