Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
arrrgh

My new techbase map

http://www.speedyshare.com/631613914.html
Well, this is my latest map, and it's some sort of mixture between E2M4 and something else. I'd like some feedback before I upload this, so critique please! I'm still working on my vine temple thing but this map was originally part of a 4-map WAD but I scrapped that and am just going to release the maps seperately.

Also, will this get removed from the archives for using textures from different IWADS? I took some techbase textures from doom.wad because Doom II had a bunch of them removed :(

meh, before the 1994 challenge I would say it was ok but since starting it I've raised my standards of detailing, and things like this and the no lower unpegged here put me off. Add in you need to make the blue key door actually require the blue key, and it looks like you need a lot of work on it. The ammo is also very, very tight if not too little. I'd suggest setting it off to the side and work on your vine temple map then come back to this map and the others.

I have no idea how thoroughly /incoming gets checked before archives, but to be safe I'd do without or use doom.wad as a resource. just from the general feel of some mod posts.

What parts didn't have enough ammo? Which parts in particular need more detail? Don't want to sound pushy, just want to get it right.

I haven't played the map, but by the looks of those two screenshots he posted, the most important detail for you to focus on improving right now is texture alignment.

Ugh you're right, the alignment is terrible. Going around in 3D mode and fixing that now.

Actually, after playing your map a second time, more completely, I'd give it a better rating. The lack of stuff jumping out at you from the walls got to me, and other than some texture alignment and that blue key fiasco, it's looking up to par. just put some stuff on the walls throughout your map, especially here, fix this incongruency, and fix texture alignments like these (1 2) and you should be cooking with gas. You don't really need a lot of crap in there, just something to break up the SHAWN2 and related monochromatic textures.

Also try getting rid of the arachno/revenant monster cabinet in the blue key area and have them teleport in if you can, it gives a cleaner feeling to that fight. The revenants in the first main hallway are fine, I thought the cabinets they were in were there from the beginning (but then how did I virtually run out of ammo with the imps on the first lift? -.-). That's where my ammo problem was but I tuned up the second round and got through fine.

So yea, that's about it ...