Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperSlammer2

Games you don't understand why people like

I was watching my brother play this old Super nintendo game called Soul Blazer and it was really dumb. The graphics were terrible and it looked boring as heck just swinging your sword to kill stuff over and over then step on a portal.

What games have you seen people playing that you just don't know why anyone would like it?

Doom.

Do you have any idea how many people have told me that Doom sucked? "How can you play such old garbage?".

Yeah.

But it gets pathetic when they say something like "Go play Halo or something.".

SuperSlammer2 said:

The graphics were terrible and it looked boring as heck just swinging your sword to kill stuff over and over then step on a portal.

Sims games (NOT Simcity)....what's so fun about emulating real life in a computer program, controlling them and all that jazz.

Super Smash Bros for its incredibly repetitive punching, kicking, and smashing.

Metroid whatever for its incredibly empty and linear levels.

Rail shooters for not giving me any control over anything that happens in the game.

AndrewB said:

Metroid whatever for its incredibly empty and linear levels.

I like Metroid because it isn't action heavy. I'm more interested in discovering every nook and cranny and trying to find every item when I play those games. It can be a very soothing game to play from time to time, and when you want action most, there's usually a huge boss you are working towards.

Then there are the various fan made challenges, such as speed and low item runs that make it similar to Doom. Doom, Metroid and Quake are really the biggest games that come to my mind when I think of fans performing speed challenges and what not.

I guess I'd say Flight Simulator, especially those things where you recreate stuff like the Lindbergh flight. I've always loved arcade flight shooters like the Ace Combat series, but at some point realism can get in the way of being fun.

Yes, I realize most who use the game are training to be an actual pilot, but some actually play it for fun, which still boggles my mind. But hey, with some of the dull stuff I do to entertain myself, I can't really say much.

Half-Life, multiplayer-only FPS games, StarCraft online, Supreme Commander, DoW, MMORPGs...

This may sound bad but pretty much all games of new. I just can’t get into any games after the N64. They gave a few classics on the cube but once the Wii introduced it’s new mechanics I just said fuck it.

More specifically RPGs. I just find that they require too much word. Give me a FPS or side scroller and then I’m in for some simple fun. However I did enjoy these sudo RPS like Diablo and Phantasy Star Online.

Mr. Chris said:

Sims games (NOT Simcity)....what's so fun about emulating real life in a computer program, controlling them and all that jazz.

Most of the people I know who play it just play it so they can lock their sims in a room and watch them starve/burn/electrocute/etc. themselves to death.

Beat-em-ups, sports games, anything that's multiplayer only, games that put you in charge of a plumber/elf/furry, FMV interactive movies and games that sacrifice gameplay for eyecandy.

Sports games. Anything where much of the game consists of "HIT X NOW" (I blame a certain overhyped, overrated Dreamcast game for that). Anything that's basically just a movie with short interactive bits. Anything that's excessively violent (hello, Prototype). Guitar Hero. Almost anything made in the last 10 years (see above points).

guitar hero, modern games in general.

I enjoyed old rpg's like phantasy star iii, Sword of Vermillion (genesis) and sword of hope (gameboy), gargoyles quest, etc, but doubt I would like modern rpgs.

None.

They're just games and, as they say, "about taste, there's nothing written."

destx said:

Every realistic sports simulator ever.

The part I don't understand is why people keep buying each and every one of their god damned incessant iterations.

I'm beginning to find music-based games are starting to reach this level, too.

Lizardcommando said:

God of War. What's so great about it? It looks like any other hack-and-slash action game like Onimusha or Devil May Cry.

But when in DMC do you get to disembowel centaurs? :P

Csonicgo said:

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~cs150/Labs/Lab10Files/walk_front.gif

I hope no one dis' this, one of my favorite Zelda games I've ever played.

But a game play and that people think sucks is StarFox for the SNES, one of the greatest starters of it's kind, but rather blocky in 3D polygonal form.

I don't really think there's any games that I don't 'understand' why people like them. Everyone has different tastes, and I can respect that, I personally can't stand racing games but I can see the appeal. The only thing I can't really understand is new iterations of games every year, mainly sports games, football, soccer, nascar, baseball, where they come out with the same game every year with updated stats and graphics. It's the same game every time, give it at least two years between games. But still it's a money maker, and there's a demand for them. There's plenty of games out there that I personally think are awful, but different strokes for different folks.

Metal Gear Solid: I never ever get a clue whats so brilliant about that boring shit.
Biohazard/Resident Evil: This is nothing but a bloodfilled, darker version of Dragon's Lair.
Unreal: Boring after 5 Minutes, had just great graphics back then.
Unreal (II, Tournament): Boring SciFi Shooter with boring graphics style, boring Models, boring Gameplay.
Counter-Strike: Team Fortress on Valium.

I could post a never ending list here.

Danarchy said:

Sports games.

This. Especially all those godawful football sims that have a future year appended to their title and consist of player lists that are either fake or become outdated after a few months.

Anything where much of the game consists of "HIT X NOW" (I blame a certain overhyped, overrated Dreamcast game for that).

press X to not die

cybdmn said:

Unreal: Boring after 5 Minutes, had just great graphics back then.

That's because the first map is just an intro ;)

Halo. Totally generic sci-fi setting, completely bland graphics, and utterly boring gameplay.

The Sims. People complain about other developers milking us for cash with DLC, yet the countless Sims add-ons barely get mentioned. Why? Just because they come on DVDs instead of as on-line downloadS?

Any MMORPG, ever. I just don't get the appeal. I much prefer plot in my RPGs, thanks.

Assassin's Creed

Cool hooded protagonist apparently cancels out all the boring repetitive action gameplay in the game. I suppose people buy games primarily for the protagonist's coolness that you play. No wonder FF7 sold big as well as Quake outsold by Duke3D and new Halo games outselling everything.

Sports games, especially footies and manager games. These never seem to decline in popularity though, and if you consider that they are the most "fashion" driven games out there (gone are the days where you could get away with unlicensed games with team and player names parodying the real ones). In any case, I only found very few football games worth playing in my two-and-something decades of gaming, mostly because none sticked to a tried-and-proven method of control.

Arcade driving games with shitty physics and no automatic wheel recovery. Come on, no real car lacks that, and the effect is very noticeable: your car moves like a snake from constant under/overcorrection. Yet people play them. Meh.

Tekken games. You can either try to play "normally" and get your ass kicked in a 2 or 3 unblockable move combo at the first mistake or step back -> charge energy -> opponent runs -> boom, you win. Meh.

Mahjoong games in arcade formats. People wasted hours and money on those POS (they were always timer limited, and gameplay extension for "playing well" was a joke). You needed several credits just to clear a board. OK, some had "incentives" such as nude pics/drawings, but the whole idea of working for your pr0n is wrong, IMO, especially with such a tedious gameplay.

Also Sims, hack'n slash MUDs/MMORPGs (OK, I liked those too when I was what, like 18?), multiplayer-only FPS (for several reasons).

More to come...

Turn-based RPGs. I admit, there are a couple that I've actually gotten into, but even then, the whole time I'm thinking "These battles would be so much more fun if they were real-time action sequences." It's not just that they're not very fun, but they don't even make sense to me. Like, the whole time it's not my turn, I'm thinking "Why in the hell is my character just standing there waiting for the other guy to hit him? Shouldn't he at least try to dodge?"

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I just can't like that game no matter how hard I try. I mean, I felt like I could finish the entire main quest in less than 5 hours at level 1. It had that fast travel system that let me go anywhere in a click? At least make me discover the locations first! I hated the oblivion locations, they were so drab and boring to go through, I always just ended up rushing for the end so I could get my sphere thing. Exploring felt pointless because each location looked almost exactly the same, and you could see every city location right from the beginning of the game because of that fast travel system. The only thing I really enjoyed about it was the Dark Brotherhood quest chain. Whatever...