Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
selliott4

Feedback needed on my odd binary number system map

I should probably start by introducing myself. I have not posted here before, but I've enjoyed exploring the forums and playing various WADs here. I'm a computer programmer in Austin, TX.

Anyway, I've created a strange map that consists of a hallway with eight doors in it. The state of each door, whether it's open or closed, corresponds to one of the eight bits in a byte. The only way to get to the exit is to pass through the hall 256 times. Each pass through the hall toggles the state of the doors such that the binary value of the byte is incremented by one.

Part of my motivation was my curiosity of it was possible to create a map where the total time it takes to complete it varies exponentially with the size of the map. It is possible.

Since obviously it's no fun to play in the traditional sense now that I've create it I'm curious if:
1) Some of you are amused by it. Maybe some of you even think it's worthy of being in one of the mock*.wad WADs as an example of how a map shouldn't be. And that's fine.
2) It has some educational value as an fun way of introducing the binary number system to kids.

Anyway, it has it's own web page:
Binary In Doom

Nice mindgame. I can see a LOT of potential in the idea, but as it is now is not worth the time. As you must've spent a lot of time putting the triggers right you should keep this version for a jokewad but if you get into mapping, you should come back to this in a few months.

Definitely upload it to idgames for posterity.

7:30 on my second attempt, lost a few seconds when my mouse went spastic.

The maps repetitious nature gives it a high boredom rating, so without some way of breaking the routine it wouldn't suprise me if most players preferred a 4-bit version. OTOH - some jokewad fan's probably working on a 64-bit version and - now that there's a time to beat - the forum's speedrunners will probably aim to shave at least a minute of it. I like it as is, wouldn't look out of place in the archive beside Fraggle's binary ripple counter.

Someone made a "game of life" in the Doom engine as well. Scroll down to the bottom of this: http://www.it-he.org/doom.htm

Whilst I don't really think such a concept really has a point gameplay-wise, and certainly would rage to see it in the middle of a standard "run around and shoot things" map, I also don't think different ways to use the Doom engine should be discouraged. Maybe someone will think of a way to use a cut-down version as an actual puzzle in a proper map, and that would be totally rad.

As far as value as an educational tool, I can only answer yes. I am a complete dumbass at math and programming, and count in binary by writing down things like 2+8+32 in columns beneath the 1s, but everyone learns in different ways and your visual display may be just the thing someone needs for the whole notion of a base 2 number system to "drop into place".

Thanks for the feedback. I've updated my site to acknowledge the existing similar WADs that some of you mentioned. I'll consider uploading it to idgames, jute.