Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Creaphis

Nuts3.wad demos *UPDATE - now there's a GOOD demo*

UPDATE: Actually, I DO have something for you to watch! Check below.

Sorry to disappoint you; I've got nothing for you to watch. Just a question: are there any good speedruns for Nuts 3? There aren't any on the DSDA, but I know they must be out there somewhere if a guy like me is able to find a decent route.

If you've never seen anything better I'm tempted to believe it isn't out there.

My route works on GlBoom+ but requires more luck, patience, skill and processing power than I've got. But I'll try it a few times. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Edit: So far I've been able to finish the level by saving at two different points and making many attempts after each save. I think this route benefits from having finitely-tall explosions, which aren't much more "vanilla" than finitely-tall monsters. But it should still be possible with infinitely-tall explosions; it just requires more luck and skill, again. Also, I have no idea if archvile-jumping would be possible in this port. It probably isn't worth trying.

Okay what the fuck I did it. Almost instantly. On my fifth attempt, I think. Note: This demo includes 2 attempts. First, the player dies after about 10 seconds. The next attempt is successful.

Recorded with GlBoom-plus_fast.exe -compat 9, version 2.5.0.2

nut3-302.zip

BTW, this is not a Boom demo. It's "current prboom+", so you must have made a mistake with the command line.

Maybe you used literally what you put in your post (-compat 9), which is the wrong syntax. The relevant command-line option is:

-complevel 9

Creaphis said:

Recorded with GlBoom-plus_fast.exe, version 2.5.0.2, -complevel 9

There is no glboom-plus_fast.exe version 2.5.0.2 :)
Did you mean 2.5.0.1?

btw, 2.5.0.3 is faster than 2.5.0.1_fast. 88 fps instead of 78 with "-timedemo nut3-218.lmp"

How about MAX? UV-Spped is not so interest for this level.

entryway said:

There is no glboom-plus_fast.exe version 2.5.0.2 :)
Did you mean 2.5.0.1?

Oh god dammit, it's always something. I dragged the contents of the 2.5.0.2 folder over my 2.5.0.1 folder and just assumed all executables were replaced.

entryway said:

UV-Spped is not so interest for this level.

Hey, ease your standards a bit. I'm new at this and apparently nobody's done it before.

entryway said:

How about MAX?

Not possible. By the standards of this sort of level, there's virtually no ammo. Even if you provoke infighting until no more infighting is possible, you'll be left with a surplus of revenants in the main field, 11 cyberdemons on inaccessible towers and about 40 arachnotrons in a deep pit.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it might be possible to MAX this, but it would be profoundly painstaking and tedious. That's the demo I would find uninteresting.

UV-speed is always interesting.. at least for some people :) but if you want to consider a maxdemo, try doing what all the guys do on nuts.wad and play it with the supergun dehacked = practically infinite ammo.

Nah, I wouldn't be able to do that fast enough to make it interesting. The best I can do is fill the table with more standard achievements.

A non-cheated UV-MAX is possible, aside from 2 chaingunners that are outside of the map, but I don't like it. It's a long slog of touch-and-go strategies. I was surprised to find that the main area isn't always left with a surplus of revenants. Sometimes it's barons, and sometimes only a few stragglers are left wandering amidst the many overlapping monsters. Still, even the best case scenario leaves you with 11 cyberdemons to deal with, and many archviles on the tower. All efforts to involve either of these groups with infighting are fruitless, so you have to tackle their isolated positions with strategies that require some AI cooperation.

This would probably be a bit easier with a different -complevel where the cyberdemons can't fall off of their pillars.

It helps to have the 90 degree vision of GlBoom+ and the remaining monster count on the HUD, though I know using such information to one's advantage isn't always smiled upon. A pwad that makes corpses invisible would be an even greater help, to better spot the remaining "stucked" monsters, but would also be an even greater taboo.

I won't be trying this anytime soon, and probably not ever.