Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nixot

Z_Free: Freed a pointer without ZONEID

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I'm trying to make my map vanilla compatible and that bloody error appears every time I run it under chocolate doom!!!

How do I fix it?!

Does it contain extra assets (graphics, music and so on)?

I'm guessing that might be the cause, if they're not placed correctly or aren't of the right type of file.

You can have new flats, but only if they're followed by F_END (not FF_END), and sprites need patching with DeuSF (although Chocolate Doom emulates this with -merge, to be used instead of -file) unless you apply a special renaming workaround with DeHackEd. Any resource that isn't in the right format (Doom graphics format, Doom flat format or compatible MIDI or MUS) may cause issues.

This time, I got ANOTHER error:

W_CacheLumpNum: 11613579 >= numlumps
Either that, or it just quits with nothing, depending on how I order things.

It only works if I use -merge. What does -merge do and how do I save my map like that?

Suppose you were to include replacements for the imp's death frames. You'd still have to include a copy of every sprite frame you did not modify (and not just from the imp, from all things,) as well, for the vanilla game to function (or you get errors like the ones you're getting). With flats, you'd have to include every flat normally found in the game in addition to the new ones, in one WAD. Originally the method was to merge the PWAD contents into the IWAD, creating a modified IWAD. That's potentially messy, as the IWAD could get corrupted or the like. Thus DOOM editing application developers later made programs that merged the necessary stuff into the PWAD, instead. Chocolate Doom emulates this process for you. Instead of having to run a program to patch your IWAD or your PWAD, Chocolate Doom behaves a bit differently from when -file is used, to manage the same result.

Fraggle specifically incorporated the -merge parameter so people developing vanilla WADs with Chocolate Doom could still make sure the WADs were vanilla compatible (needing to be patched). Source ports starting from Boom, on the other hand, always load WADs with new flats or modified sprites as if they were merged, using the usual -file parameter.

If you aren't getting errors using -merge, the issue is resolved and all you need to do is note in the text file that users who use (vanilla) Doom need to patch the PWAD with DeuSF (just the sprites, if you used F_END, though if they patch both it should work, too) before they load the PWAD with -file, that those who use Chocolate only need to use -merge instead of -file, and that those who use an advanced port just need to apply -file (or drag and drop) as usual.