Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aaronjw

Playing with modern FPS controls

Well, I've fairly recently gotten into Doom, and I just love the game. I just the other day finished Doom 2 on HMP (I'm not really what you'd call a pro yet ;) ). However, up till now, I've just been playing with the modern FPS controls, IE, WASD and mouselook, using ZDoom to change them to that. But I'm wondering if I should, in fact, try to get into the habit of playing with the original Doom controls? So, just arrow keys, ctrl, and [,] and [.] for strafing. Do I really need to play using the original controls to be sort of accepted by the community? Or is it fairly common to play with the modern FPS controls?

next to no-one uses the original controls reguarly any more. If you aren't set on running vanilla doom then I really wouldn't bother, the only person I can think of off the top of my head is my dad and thats just because he resists change like a cat resists going to the vet.

You can even play with Spectrum-esque QAOP controls and still be accepted into the community. It's really not about what controls you prefer, as long as you don't spawn another endless flamewar about the best control method, best source port, etc.

Just a tip, from someone that used the "original" controls for 10 years ("default" would be a more correct term, since they always were reconfigurable, and there were people using WADS + mouse since the early days): use ALT + arrows for strafing, jumping between arrows and the ',' and '.' keys won't cut it. My personal finger placement was: left hand on the left Ctrl/Shift/Alt triangle, with pinky finger on fire, ring finger on Shift, middle finger on alt. Or, ring, middle, index in the same roles. Right hand on arrows or keypad, weapon changes usually with left hand.

However, in retrospect, it's just a more handicapping way of playing Doom. Once I saw how easier the game became with the same controls used for all other shooters, I never went back. Keep in mind that for a transitional period I played "modern" FPS with the modern default WASD + mouse config, and Doom with its original control, until I discovered it was possible to set up the same kind of control for Doom. Never looked back since.

That makes me feel better, then. I'll keep on my merry way with WASD ;)

The main thing that made me wonder was that almost everyone on YouTube seems to have mouselook off. Can't tell what controls they use other than that, of course, but that seems to kinda imply that they're using the default controls.

I don't recommend sticking to the defaults if you want to tackle some of the tough level sets made today, at least not always. You can apply WASD to the standard engine, even. Of the relevant ingame key settings, only the weapon keys (1-9) aren't modifiable there. You can even set autorun with a CFG trick (joyb_speed 29) and remove the vertical sensitivity of the mouse with an app like Novert. I personally use a custom setup that is compatible with vanilla, yet also suits freelook setups for other games or WADs that require it. Once you disable vertical sensitivity in vanilla-like WADs (or use an engine that doesn't even have it,) the only real difference is that you can look up and down when freelook is enabled, plus most likely an added jumping key or button. I'm so unused to the defaults that if I use them, I'll play pretty poorly.

PhilibusMo said:
next to no-one uses the original controls reguarly any more. If you aren't set on running vanilla doom then I really wouldn't bother,

Even if you're using Doom on DOSBox or Chocolate Doom, you'll likely want to use a more convenient setup. Not that there's anything wrong with the extra challenge of using the arrow keys and other keys that aren't very close to them. I think Ledmeister, the maintainer of classicdoom.com, uses the defaults for all his display demos.

Aaronjw said:

The main thing that made me wonder was that almost everyone on YouTube seems to have mouselook off. Can't tell what controls they use other than that, of course, but that seems to kinda imply that they're using the default controls.

That's mainly cos mouselook isn't a requirement for most wads, plus that's a feature added in many source ports rather than the original exe (and most of the demo recording ppl use that or prBoom/Chocolate Doom which closely emulate it). It's more a matter of choice as to whether you use it or not, same with jump and crouch for those ports that support it. (if you're used to modern then it's probably best to stick with it, although you might want to turn autoaim off or you'll get some unexpected aiming behaviour occasionally :p)

Maes said:

You can even play with Spectrum-esque QAOP controls and still be accepted into the community.

heh

(although I've kinda evolved a bit from that and use half of it now with the other half on the mouse)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

...you might want to turn autoaim off or you'll get some unexpected aiming behaviour occasionally :p)

Not for me. Autoaim and no crosshairs are the only control settings I've personally retained, as I feel they're a big part of the Doom experience. Otherwise, I WASD+mouse, freelook, jump, and crouch as I please.

...well, not quite the latter two. I usually refrain from using jumps and crouches to break sequences if the WAD I'm playing clearly wasn't designed with them in mind (i.e. most old WADs and even some modern WADs that disable jumping and crouching in the first place).

I play Doom 64 Absolution TC with default old-school controls: arrows, ctrl, shift, alt, space (keyboard only), in order to emulate the console controllers.

Sometimes I lower graphics to a minimum, make sure its pixelated, change the thing that reads midi to something that sounds .. older, use keyboard only to control...

And its actually pretty fun. I'm not even nostalgic, never played Doom back then (I was only 3 years old). But I don't know, there is a charm to it, and it makes the normal game more difficult.

Its a lot more fun because I know I can't just rely on great aiming skills.. because Doom requires little aiming already, so its too easy on that part - and quick, fluid and easy movement to kill everything. You have to be more careful, aiming is harder, etc...

I'd suggest you try it sometimes... At least the control part. Its different enough to feel like a different game.

I play with mouselook turned off, but use WASD and the mouse to turn horizontally. So I guess that would be a modern/old hybrid. It's not like I do anything that was impossible back in the day.

Like Krispavera, i use WASD to go forward/backward and strafe and i use mouse to turn horizontally. I never ever used mouselook. |:

Krispavera said:

modern/old hybrid

Same here. For the left hand I use w/s (middle) for back/forward, d (pointer) for jump, q (ring) for crouch, capslock (pinky) for map, and space (thumb) for 'action'. For the right hand I use left click for fire, move mouse for looking left/right, hold right click to strafe, and mouse wheel (and 1-7) changes weapons.

Autoaim on, pgup/pgdn for looking up/down, home to center. That involves moving my left hand, but I've gotten -very- quick at it. I should probably change home/pgup/pgdn to e/r/f since it's the same 'layout' and they're right there ... :p

deldelda said:

Same here. For the left hand I use w/s (middle) for back/forward, d (pointer) for jump, q (ring) for crouch, capslock (pinky) for map, and space (thumb) for 'action'. For the right hand I use left click for fire, move mouse for looking left/right, hold right click to strafe, and mouse wheel (and 1-7) changes weapons.

Autoaim on, pgup/pgdn for looking up/down, home to center. That involves moving my left hand, but I've gotten -very- quick at it. I should probably change home/pgup/pgdn to e/r/f since it's the same 'layout' and they're right there ... :p

You have quite a unique playing style.

Ahaha, I remember playing through Doom and most of Doom II with the arrow keys, Alt for strafe and Ctrl for fire before finding out about WASD+mouse.

I can't get used to the original doom controls. Especially since strafing is such a necessity and it's so out of the way, I have to turn and move in the direction i want to dodge projectiles from, then turn back to aim at the monster that fired it. Pain in the ass.

JohnnyRancid said:

I can't get used to the original doom controls. Especially since strafing is such a necessity and it's so out of the way, I have to turn and move in the direction i want to dodge projectiles from, then turn back to aim at the monster that fired it. Pain in the ass.

Seems to me you're doing it wrong, strafing with arrow keys while temporarily pressing ALT is very easy once you get used to it, I never really used the < and > keys to strafe. On the other hand, you can't strafe-turn as easily as with the mouse, as you have to alternate between turning and strafing by pressing and releasing ALT.

It's much like keeping a car with a manual transmission still on a cliff just with the accelerator and clutch pedals: it can be done but not without practice/not when you can't even perform a smooth start consistently.

In any case, just for this inability to perform a truly simultaneous turning and strafing (unless you manage to find a better button arrangement, which I doubt), keyboard play puts you at a net disadvantage. You can still finish/speedrun ordinary DOOM WADs and a lot of PWADs (I know!) but God forbid if you ever go to a deathmatch against mouse users....

I use the original Arrows + Shift and Ctrl controls so often i make my own videogames use the same.

I do tend to default to modern WASD and the mouse for more modern games though. I suppose i just don't like farting about with control setups and use the defaults.

WASD + mouse is pretty good, but even if I weren't using WASD, I'd still have my arrow keys set up to movement and strafing and the mouse for turning. Novert would be my friend if I ever played DOS Doom.

It's worth noting that Romero played with arrows + mouse. =P

WildWeasel said:

WASD + mouse is pretty good, but even if I weren't using WASD, I'd still have my arrow keys set up to movement and strafing and the mouse for turning. Novert would be my friend if I ever played DOS Doom.

This is how I roll. WASD + Mouselook in GZDoom, and just mouseturn in Vanilla/PrBoom/Eternity/ZDoom.

Maes said:

In any case, just for this inability to perform a truly simultaneous turning and strafing (unless you manage to find a better button arrangement, which I doubt), keyboard play puts you at a net disadvantage. You can still finish/speedrun ordinary DOOM WADs and a lot of PWADs (I know!) but God forbid if you ever go to a deathmatch against mouse users....

Err, when keyboarding using , and . for strafing is much superior to using alt (or any other hold-button). Just put your right hand on arrow keys, left pinky on space (use), left ring finger on , , left middle finger on . and left index finger on right ctrl (fire). That way you can easily turn and strafe at the same time just the same as with mouse...

...but still, mouse is often superior simply because with mouse you can vary your turning speed easily, while with keyboard it's going to be constant.

Jodwin said:

Err, when keyboarding using , and . for strafing is much superior to using alt (or any other hold-button). Just put your right hand on arrow keys, left pinky on space (use), left ring finger on , , left middle finger on . and left index finger on right ctrl (fire). That way you can easily turn and strafe at the same time just the same as with mouse...

That's a joke, right? The config. I described is the actual default one and the most natural one for the left hand, and for a good reason: the keys on the left/right/alt block are all closely spaced together (and on oldskool keyboards there's no "windows" key in between them to get in the way) while the spacebar is within thumb range. Also at least I never used the pinky finger when playing any game (I start from the ring finger and use the thumb for the use key -spacebar).

The ',' and '.' keys on the other hand are so far apart from the ctrl key that you'd have to play with your hand unnaturally flexed and stretched, at least on U.S. keyboards (unless the Finnish layout is so much different/more ergonomical). And no way to use the shift key, either... In any case, mixing directional with action controls is never a good idea.

I played with the mouse back when Doom was new. When I watched id's demos I could see them doing movements that didn't seem possible with the keyboard and played with the mouse from then on. Later I adopted using the forward and backward keys to move forwards and backwards rather than having to move the mouse forward, lift it back etc. when running on long stretches. It was like a very crude WASD/mouselook setup.

I learnt to play the game properly via PSX Doom's controls (Which I felt, and still feel, were REALLY good for a console)

I worked my way up to Ultra-Violence, until I mastered the game, moved onto Final Doom or PSX with a UV start, and have since passed on the control scheme as accurately as possible to a PC controller ever since getting the PC versions of Doom. Never had a single problem, outside of having to reach for the keyboard to quicksave/quickload or go into a menu.

I have never been able to play any PC game on a keyboard and mouse, its too unnatural to me. Plus it seems to injure my wrists no matter what I try.

i keyboarded through all doom games in 94/95 and thought i was damn good until i downloaded demos from the net that puzzled me: how does this guy move so fast? i've posted about that in some other threads already. autoaiming shooters like doom work well enough with keyboard only, at least in single player, but for quake style freelooking games mouselook is a must. transition to mouse+keys wasn't easy, mostly because i used a way too high sens. generally it's better to choose a sens that allows controlled, precise aiming. then there was no turning back.

however i haven't used vanilla doom2.exe in ages, not so much for the 320x200 graphics (hell knows how i saw everything clearly back then and now it' all blur) but because of the controls, precisely the weapons bound to 1-7 which can't be changed. i've got used to having the weapons bound to the keys around WASD, like CTRL for the BFG, and reaching for them during a fight and not switching anything isn't good... mappable weapon keys are a requirement for every source port in my opinion, especially as it's not an unusual feature.

Ragnor said:

I learnt to play the game properly via PSX Doom's controls (Which I felt, and still feel, were REALLY good for a console)

I worked my way up to Ultra-Violence, until I mastered the game, moved onto Final Doom or PSX with a UV start, and have since passed on the control scheme as accurately as possible to a PC controller ever since getting the PC versions of Doom. Never had a single problem, outside of having to reach for the keyboard to quicksave/quickload or go into a menu.

I have never been able to play any PC game on a keyboard and mouse, its too unnatural to me. Plus it seems to injure my wrists no matter what I try.

I'm basically the same as you, except I actually use a PS2 controller to play Doom. The controls are exactly the same as PSX Doom, except I also set X to jump, just in case I ever played a WAD that required it.

ie, because 'Strafe On' was the most redundant command ever? :p

Ive had to deviate from strict PSX controls since GZDoom runs EVERY Doom game, I use the D-Pad to control inventory much like modern PS3/360 games for example.