Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Post your Doom video! [but don't quote video]

Reaper978 said:

Thanks.

EDIT: still can't get it to work.

[yt]qA4RvDdIGxc[/yt]

Reaper978 said:

Damn that's an impressive run. I love how sometimes his tactics dictate going for speed, sometimes he'll bypass to some health or ammo to enable a quicker time later on. The speed he gets over some Abyss parts is awesome.

Seeing all 31 so close back-to-back, Tenements and Abandoned Mines strike me as really good looking maps. It's amazing how varied and unique Romero can make his locations. McGee's Catacombs stands out as nice too.

What program does everybody use for recording video? I've tried tons of programs and they all lag and give crappy framerates. Is my computer just crap or is there a secret to it?

Description:
'I've been attempting to speed run Map01 of Doom II for a few weeks now (As those that have been in Skype with me raging over 7 second victories know)

After around 40 attempts or so, I came to the conclusion that having never used strafe 50 before, there was no way in hell (no pun intended) I was going to be able to do it for this map yet.

Luckily, toying around in -nomonster mode, I managed to hit 6 seconds with just standard strafe.

Another 60+ attempts later, and I managed a 6 second run in Nightmare

Skill: Nightmare Speed

Kills 7%
Items 0%
Secrets 0%
Time 6

Port: Legacy Doom 1.42

I'm honestly not sure if I can do it better. I feel I might have missed a few points of a second on the strafe of the big room (Maybe .3-.5 at most) so there's grounds for improvement. I also snagged for a split second on the final imp.
I do feel that I can hit 5 seconds if I learn the strafe 50 well enough though. '

arrrgh said:

What program does everybody use for recording video? I've tried tons of programs and they all lag and give crappy framerates. Is my computer just crap or is there a secret to it?

Dude - I'm totally with you. Hypertension's teaser lagged like a mofo using Fraps and I got a lot of shit for it (people saying the in-game FPS were laggy... psshh). ^^

I tried to use Xfire video recording but it didn't want to record so I used Fraps for my recordings.

Me and my friend playing and kind of almost trying to state our opinions about Knee Deep in Phobos, a wad some guy (presumably the author) offered me to LP on youtube. Please excuse my crappy english, my friend's even crappier english, our unnecesarry swearing (since english swearwords don't feel like swearwords to us russians, we have nothing against using them), bad jokes, and my kind of not very good playing.

But despite all the stuff i warned you about i'd still appreciate some comments :)

I also have some other doom videos there besides KDiP, but i don't recommend watching them, most of them are set to private anyways.

Antroid said:

Me and my friend playing and kind of almost trying to state our opinions about Knee Deep in Phobos

This was pretty funny, especially the third video. You two work well bantering with each other, and no offense intended but your accents actually make it even more funny :) One of the more enjoyable LPs I've seen. So many people get it wrong and it drags within minutes, but this kept me interested for the full half hour.

No offence taken, i know i have a pretty terrible accent :) Thanks for your opinion. (did you notice parts 2-X? They are worse, but they are there. we also recorded more today and i'm working on it it now)

Antroid said:

But despite all the stuff i warned you about i'd still appreciate some comments :)

That was possibly the best lets play video I've ever watched. You two are hilarious =P

Faved and subscribed!

Looks like you people haven't seen the good Something Awful LPs, we may look kind of good among the youtube videos, but they are much better generally. There's even a doom mod LP thread there right now, and i love it, even though the videos have weird technical problems. It has mostly skulltag multiplayer currently, i think, but it started with a few vids of some mod which i already forgot the name of.

I use fraps. Sometimes it makes gzdoom run at about 4 fps, sometimes it is 30 and therefore allright. Newest video drivers and fraps versions help in this.

Antroid said:

did you notice parts 2-X? They are worse, but they are there. we also recorded more today and i'm working on it it now

I just watched 2-X now, and they were just as good if not better. Your illogical way of going around the maps makes things interesting, I'm not only wondering where passages lead, but will you actually go into them? :P

I agree with eargoosedown, these are the best LPs I've seen on YouTube too. Subscribed :)

Mr. Chris said:

Here is a free video capture program for those who don't wanna shell out cash for Fraps: http://camstudio.org

Yeah, tried that one... Wasn't bad. Tried Fraps too, and somehow managed to do worse(!) I've also found a recorder called ZDSoft or something, works quite well, keeping a decent framerate while also not slowing the game to a crawl. Will probably buy it.

Your illogical way of going around the maps makes things interesting, I'm not only wondering where passages lead, but will you actually go into them? :P

Hey! I just have trouble remembering all the closed doors and stuff when i'm trying to talk at the same time (in english, no less). And i'm afraid of elevators :D And nonlinearity makes me nervous... Yeah, i suppose you could say that my playstile is not very normal.. %)

Antroid said:

Yeah, i suppose you could say that my playstile is not very normal.. %)

It's a good thing! It was hilarious when you went up that elevator in MAP02 and there was just the shotgun there. "He has braved the... THIN LEDGE" :D

I wonder how does hippocat's playing look compared to mine. He plays in 3-1 and 3-2 (which i forgot were even there).

(also i think that was still map01)

He runs around alot faster, and it doesn't give you a chance to talk about the map! Your commentary in 3-X was more on each other than on the level, which had me laughing alot though probably not the point of recording a Let's Play :P Either way, it was still an enjoyable video.

I notice these clips actually just highlight the shortcomings of KDiP more than any good qualities of the maps. Even paying attention to the layouts, I get lost, and sometimes you both wander around on a switch/keyhunt commenting "yet again I have no idea where to go" because all the corridors look the same - there are no unique landmarks like in the original maps. Another thing that stands out is the pointless copypaste overdetailing, like the roof lighting or the hex tile floors, when massive glaring errors exist like the sky clipping bug near the shotgun in MAP02, or the exit window you both instantly laughed at in MAP03.

Yeah, I really don't like KDiP.

Well i like it so far, some places look really neat, even though there are quite a few bugs and it's not very challenging (even for me) except for some puzzling backtracking. Perhaps i should pay more attention to the clues, i mean opening windows in map01 was very nicely done, and in some part of map04 (the 4-X videos) hippocat did figure that "blue but not really blue" door got opened. I do agree with overdetailing though, all those complicated lamps and elevated 8-pixel wide (i think) edges (those look retarded on stairs) and MISSING TILES and stuff.
Anyways, it's actually what i do best: i find flaws in everything. And just as i said in the first video, hippocat says everything's alright most of the time :)

By the way, perhaps some other wad would amuse people more? The author doesn't seem to care much about my KDiP videos after the first bunch, seeing as how he didn't respond to a PM of me asking exactly that, and we don't really care what to play.

I really didn't like the boss fight in my play through of KDiP, felt it could have been better done (And less buggy).

I wanted to go and see it, but i decided to keep the KDiP vids blind in case i do finish them. Just tell me, is it some standart new monster (like that one baron-like thing i keep seeing that has REALLY GOOD burning death animation which i don't like because it's SO GOOD) or a new one made specially for KDiP?

I don't want to keep this kinda-offtopic discussion for much longer though..

Antroid said:

By the way, perhaps some other wad would amuse people more?

I think any wad you play, the video will probably turn out good. I also like this one, I never really bothered to play much of KDiP seriously so this is interesting to see and new at least for me.

You could try playing Alien Vendetta on UV, though it might end up something like this ;)

But yeah do what you like, your videos so far are very entertaining and I look forward to the rest!