Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Post your Doom video! [but don't quote video]

Next set of videos being uploaded now... I feel like a total noob though ='( Got my ass handed to me multiple times in dumb ways.

Very entertaining eargosedown! Keep it up.

A few notes on the vids.

I actually said 'bitch' right before you did after the Arch-Vile so that made me lol extra because I rarely say things like that. Maybe I was thinking of Ripley in Aliens heh. Oh yeah that "Sprite based bastard" line was a good one, in fact I think the cursing is one of my favorite aspects... perhaps in part because it's rare or maybe I like it since it reminds me of my own frustrations and those smack your forehead 'why did I just do that? I'm better then that!' moments and I don't feel quite so alone. I too have even loaded a game when I meant to save.

I was also going to suggest you save when health is good but I was beaten to it so I'll just remind you to keep it up. :)

Don't forget your chaingun can help with those shotgun guys because they have low pain chance and health plus it's a hitscan unlike the plasma and with spread like the single shotgun. I use it for groups of hitscanners when I'm low on health.

I lol'd at the Kirby comment and your realization afterword.

Finally, I really enjoy your comments and sounds of surprise lol yeah but you need a better mic!

Anyway "Sweet, I'm all outta shells again........ but their all out of life". lol

I'll be looking for the next set of vids. :D

HackNeyed said:

I'll be looking for the next set of vids. :D

Thanks for taking the time to write a review =)

I'm planning on getting a new/better mic once I get into some money. College books are wayyyy overpriced.

eargosedown said:

Thanks for taking the time to write a review =)

I'm planning on getting a new/better mic once I get into some money. College books are wayyyy overpriced.

You're welcome and thank you for the vids. I hope you are getting the books used so they are less overpriced.

eargosedown said:

Was that ZDaemon?

No that was Skulltag since Zdaemon doesn't have invasion mode.

Oh btw, your lets play of Alien Vendetta is very enjoyable ;)

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2pFo916AGVk"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2pFo916AGVk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

alright, I give up

Time for the next parts. I have to say, even if you haven't kept up with the series - WATCH THESE FOUR VIDEOS. They are some of the funniest experiences I've ever had playing a Doom map, and I am so happy I caught them on camera =D

Here's where it starts getting really funny.

Feedback/comments always welcome! Even if it's just a simple "You suck at Doom go die in a fire!" =P

"When did this become hell revealed?" - lolz. I was playing a bit farther in since I haven't actually got all the way through AV before (yeah, yeah, I'm getting to it), and it's an interesting mix of HR and plutonia style maps. It's going to be interesting how you pull off 17, since 17 is very speedrunny (stock up on cells before, going to be a huge advantage over a pistol start).

So, advice.
1. - You use the SSG WAY. TOO. MUCH. There were plenty of times you could've used the rocket launcher on larger groups/hks and barons so you'd save shells for close quarters fights, like with the cyber in the crate storage. It only takes ~45 shells to kill a cyberdemon with the SSG. Learning how to 2-hit cybers with the bfg is nice too.

That leads to
2. - Using the bfg. I think you might've done so in the courtyard, but you can continuously fire it like the chaingun and plasma gun, which saves a large amount of charging time, which would probably have gotten you through the end much easier.

About the arch-vile jump at the end, zdoom archs send the player a lot higher and further than vanilla or boom. It was probably made with that in mind.

ArmouredBlood said:

So, advice.

Yeah, I'd too say that your biggest problem is in your weapon usage. There was a time when you had full cells and some cells lying around, yet you went running away from hordes that could have been easily taken care of with one bfg shot and some shells to clean it up.

Only to a moment later kill two hell knights with plasma (took you 45 cells vs. 40 cells of a bfg shot) and then fight a huge group of revenants with plasma (hundreds of cells, where as bfg would have been MUCH more economical). Most of the time plasma rifle becomes a really poor weapon once you've picked up the bfg. If you feel like you need to waste cells in favor of other ammo, try to use the bfg against bigger groups, barons, cybers, masterminds or arch-viles.

Also, you should have killed that cyber as soon as you got through the demon/manc room rather than have the cyber follow you through the whole map. :P

ArmouredBlood said:

So, advice.
1. - You use the SSG WAY. TOO. MUCH.

This. Seriously this. Seeing as probably 50-75% of enemies are going to die via your shotgun/s, managing shotty use will take care of all your ammo issues.

The only other thing I would say is to take your time a little more. I noticed many times where you left ammo or weapons from dead enemies not picked up. And even sometimes ammo that was placed in the level to be picked up!

Wonderful set of videos, am enjoying them a lot. Again some great lines in there too. "When did this become hell revealed?" was probably my favorite. Some really neat gameplay moments too, though a lot of the entertainment value comes from the odd mistake too. :)

Another little tip for ammo conservation is try not to kill enemies in doorways, coz any ammo they drop is crushed when the door closes. either that or make sure you pick up the ammo before the door closes.

Thanks heaps, keep it up.

Kyka said:

Another little tip for ammo conservation is try not to kill enemies in doorways, coz any ammo they drop is crushed when the door closes. either that or make sure you pick up the ammo before the door closes.

Oh wow, I never knew that. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Yeah, I've always stuck primarily to the shotgun - as I've explained prior because I'm usually trying to speedrun maps and... well the SSG is a speedrunners wet dream. However, I've been working harder on diversifying the weapon usage and picking the right gun for the right battle.

I've still never learned when and when not to use the BFG - or how really to kill with it. As you may have noticed, the first Spider Mastermind I kill took (i think) 3 shots from the bloody thing, because I failed to get the hit tracers right. I manage to angle the second one and 1hit it, but that was more luck than skill.

Thanks for the comments so far guys, always appreciated =)

eargosedown said:

the SSG is a speedrunners wet dream

Actually, this depends on the monsters you face.

For Demons, and HW Dudes, definitely. For anything which takes more than one SSG shot to kill you'll find the Chaingun can, on average, deal damage slightly faster than the SSG. Depending on layout it can also be a quicker way to dispose of former humans and Imps.

Of course, that means you have to have most pellets hitting on target which is slightly easier with the SSG than the Chaingun.

Super Jamie said:

For anything which takes more than one SSG shot to kill you'll find the Chaingun can, on average, deal damage slightly faster than the SSG.

Does it? I'm quite positive the SSG deals damage faster - especially if you consider that to fire the SSG twice, you only have to wait for it to reload once. Even if the chaingun fires 20 shots in the time it takes for the SSG to go through one full iteration (and you'll have to prove to me that it does) you can drop an isolated cacodemon with the SSG in half as much time.

On dangerous maps I'll spend more time walking around with the chaingun out than with the SSG, but that's only because its high rate of fire helps keep monsters in pain, and thus helps keep you alive in a tight situation. If you trigger a trap and find yourself staring down three chaingun guys in close quarters, having the SSG out is a death sentence. However, whenever I find myself facing a few larger monsters in relative safety I'll switch weapons and clean them up with the SSG.

@Ear-goes-down or however you spell it: I realize this is counter-intuitive, but it's a bad idea to try to emulate the play style of speedrunners on your first time through a map. Speedrunners know exactly what they'll be facing ahead of time so they know when they can afford to take damage, they know when it's safe to be using the SSG (which, as mentioned, makes you vulnerable to ambushes), etc. If you want to learn how to play by watching demos, then watch some first-attempt demos, and see how people strategize against unknown dangers.

Creaphis said:

Does it?

It can, and based on numerical averages it does. If everything did its' max damage every hit then the SSG would still deal damage faster.

Also, usually most people who record FDAs are speedrunners, who are both highly skilled players and have their own unique playing style. I'm a somewhat cautious player, I'll chaingun snipe and take out the enemies I can see, using ground I've previously covered to retreat into, before venturing into new areas. I've watched a few of TGH's FDAs and the amount he rushes forward into the unknown makes me cringe with panic and fear! I presume the idea is to awake new monsters and encourage infighting.

My usual playtime when I'm in a Doom-y mood is to turn on Oblige, and ask for a map with size-regular, monsters-Crazy, health-Less, and Ammo-Normal, then crank it up on UV or Nightmare if I'm feeling really crazy.
As such, I usually end up looking at 3-4 cyberdemons a map, and have no problems with running by them and other monsters to try and find an exit switch.
This becomes a problem when I'm doing an actual "slow" playthrough and clear run of a map, because my first instinct is to simply run by whatever it is and see what the next room has lol.
It's not a good playstyle to have really, because it results in bad habits (Such as my <3 for the SSG, my lack of knowledge for how to dodge and mow down a few monsters types, and and my complete lack of appreciation for the chaingun which is really an awesome weapon.)
However, I have gotten a little better as of late. Starting to get the feel for what kills what; I see a bunch of shotgun guys or chaingunners and I have my chaingun out. I see a bunch of demons and I swap to my rocket launcher. I see a Archy and I'm in an open area, I hit my 7 key and pray I'm fast enough. I hear ten screams of revenants alerting at once, and I crap my pants--- err I mean, I pull out my plasma rifle or BFG =)

I think the reason I dislike the BFG as well so much is that I used to play a lot of co-op themed maps on multiplayer ports, and a few had ammo-use disabled. I always felt that once this BFG-spamming session started, that the game lost much of it's fun. I presume that's why I have second thoughts about pulling out the gun so often - and yes, that is a piss-poor reason for not using it =P

Skip Oblige and play some good PWADs which test your skill against different monsters in different situations.

One which springs to mind as hard and varied is Jodwin's oderesur. If you want to practice your Revenants more then TGH's Year 22 will certainly give you a workout. Hopefully the start of my own Redtek MAP02 enforces good Manc dodging.

I dislike the BFG too, unless I'm placed with literally hordes of monsters or in a situation where I really need it or I die (Archvile in open area, extreme-close-range tough monster, etc) I'll stick to conventional weapons. A good map will stop you taking out a Spiderdemon with a BFG (walk right up to it and shoot BFG twice, dead) and I find Cyberdemons easier with Plasma Gun and/or SSG anyway.

In the spirit of giving pwads to practice skills ... ;P Try map28-30 of my ep (woot for self-promotion ;) to bring out the bfg spammer in you. Also, after just playing AV map20, there're some reaaaaallly good micro-bfg engagements with cybers and barons and other things. Too bad it's part of the LP, although doing it blind was a bit of a pain. Otherwise I'd say play some doom1/ultimate doom wads, which will probably kill your doom2 reflexes for a bit but will give you a new appreciation for all the weapons (SSG by omission ;). Crusades is a good one to start.

Thanks guys, I'll try those out this weekend =) And yes, I'll definitely save Map 20 for the LP- However, your comment of micro-bfging with cybers (not the plural) and barons makes me a little scared of how many deaths I'll probably have D:

Super Jamie said:

I dislike the BFG too, unless I'm placed with literally hordes of monsters or in a situation where I really need it or I die (Archvile in open area, extreme-close-range tough monster, etc) I'll stick to conventional weapons. A good map will stop you taking out a Spiderdemon with a BFG (walk right up to it and shoot BFG twice, dead) and I find Cyberdemons easier with Plasma Gun and/or SSG anyway.

Aye, already I've seen a really good placement of the Spiderdemon (map 14 was it?) which kinda threw me off for a moment, and she screwed me up as I recall.
I've never actually taken out a cybie with a plasma gun, but I hear it's actually one of the easiest and least-ammo consuming. I've killed him many times with the SSG though, and even tysoned him... once...
However, if I can, I usually like to keep him alive (assuming he's in an area he can't escape - IE: the way I thought he was on that last video and proved to be VERY VERY wrong.) as a walking turret if I need to kill a lot of demons really quick or something. If I think/know he can follow me, I'll usually down him on the spot to get rid of the death he usually puts me through.

eargosedown said:

I've never actually taken out a cybie with a plasma gun, but I hear it's actually one of the easiest and least-ammo consuming.

There's one at the end of neith2, you have the option of Rockets or Plasma. On my first play of the map I didn't fire the RL once and only used the Plasma for the Cyber so there's definitely plenty of ammo for either choice.

I rarely kill cybies with the RL, takes too long. I will use SSG on a cybie and save rockets for other things.

But ideally I will use plasma or BFG on a cybie.

Yeah, the RL is a horrible weapon against cybers, unless they're stuck in place and are unable to dodge rockets. It takes about 40 rockets to kill one, assuming they all hit, and hitting definitely isn't a given if the cyber can freely move around.