Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Post your Doom video! [but don't quote video]

Woolie Wool said:

Using a real video capture program rather than unregistered HyperCrap 2 would give you much better quality, especially in sound.

The only reason why I use Hypercam2 instead of Fraps is because Fraps wont record Prboom :(

Never_Again said:

Altima is a good player but I was amazed to learn from his first video that DOOM was released in 1992 and Ultimate DOOM in 1994. Had to stop right there, this kind of news takes time to digest.
And I must take exception to pronouncing the name of the greatest game of all time as "dewm". That's just horrible!

I'll assume you mean that he got the dates wrong? Looking through wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_and_ports_of_Doom#MS-DOS), seems like the first version was actually released in 1993 and Ultimate Doom was released in 1995.

A vid I just uploaded of Stx-Vile's famous bld-night map 09. I think it is still probably his single greatest speedrun in any pwad.

Ah, I see Qaatar has dragged me back to these forums. Took me almost half an hour to find this thread.

Never_Again said:

And I must take exception to pronouncing the name of the greatest game of all time as "dewm". That's just horrible!

I'm from the southern portion of the US, so "Doom" sounds like "Dewm" coming from me. That's just how I talk. It's that "southern drawl" that we have here, which people typically stereotype to 'ignorant folk', which sadly isn't true and I'm just stuck with this damn accent.

Never_Again said:

Altima is a good player but I was amazed to learn from his first video that DOOM was released in 1992 and Ultimate DOOM in 1994. Had to stop right there, this kind of news takes time to digest.

As far as the dates go, I was thinking it was 1992 and 1994, but whatever. I mentioned that for people that haven't ever played before. I remember 1992 and 1994 from somewhere but as to where I don't remember. Dates all run together for me.

Some of the info in the videos are for people who have never played before, and I do put a slight dramatic emphasis on certain parts of maps (the Cyberdemons typically come to mind).

Sorry if my sarcasm detector is broken or anything. I made these to have fun with them, they are for entertainment purposes. If you enjoy them, great, that's the important thing.

I'll be doing Doom 2 in the same style sometime down the road, but I'm spacing my games out in my video recordings.

Never_Again said:

is not! err.. i like altima's LPs, because he's able to rant and still play quite fast. the history excursions and technical explanations while effortlessly beating the game are cool.

Altima's Lets Play videos were pretty good! I watched through them, and actually learned something--like, every secret in E1 I didn't know about >.>

A couple more vids I uploaded of demos that I feel are excellent and can't be found on Youtube (there are a ton of these, btw...I'm just getting started).

Slowly realizing how painful the experience of uploading Youtube videos can be sometimes...god damn vids sometimes take hours to upload depending on the size, and a single encoding mistake means a desync, which equals a fucking reupload...

Vile's only contribution to Scythe 2 I believe:

Hegyi's very good max run of Opulent's old wad:

Edit: Next up are a few of Belial's old UV-Maxes and probably DV 1-4, as well as the excellent Slayer (Richard Wiles) series from Hegyi, Espi, Ryback, etc. The DV vids on Youtube are all slower demos recorded by I think Richie Agnew and Doom Marine.

Dew/Eargo: Glad you guys like them! One of the guys I subscribed to, RoahmMythril, is the one that inspired me to start doing these, and since Doom has been a huge part of my life (with the C-N and such), I had to do it first.

Edit: Qataar, it's a huge pain in the ass. I had to upload my E1M7 Let's Play something around 4 times before it took it finally.

Drew's UV-Max of Erik Alm's X-treme MAP02 could be a potential candidate, just to showcase the frenetic difficulty.

Bloodite Krypto said:

Drew's UV-Max of Erik Alm's X-treme MAP02 could be a potential candidate, just to showcase the frenetic difficulty.

Yup, that one's coming up.

Never_Again said:

The temporary audio/video desync usually indicates that the system can't cope with the video capture bandwidth requirements. I often had that problem when I was using HyperCam2 capping to RGB24.

I actually figured out that it was the h.264 codec's application of B-frames that was messing up the video. I removed the addition of B-frames, and now the videos are fine again. Strange, but I guess it has something to do with frame reordering that was causing problems.

In the meantime, here are a few more demos:

Anders' Dyst 3 demo reuploaded (with the extra hud that was accidentally turned on by me...oh well):

Nice Max from Belial:

Eaxt 1 from Belial (2 is being encoded as I type). Again, I turned the hud on by mistake, but felt too lazy to recapture:

Yup, Tatsurd is a great Max player, and he's slowly but surely claiming a lot of the old C-N records.

Qaatar said:

Yup, Tatsurd is a great Max player, and he's slowly but surely claiming a lot of the old C-N records.

I love his name, too. It just sounds so funny to say **.. no offense to him though, that's part of his real name lol

Ledmeister said:

FWIW the "OddDemos" collection (weird/misc demos) from ClassicDOOM.com is now on YouTube.
Thanks to Never_Again for help and advice on video-izing.

I've seen some of them, and they were really interesting. I especially liked the infighting between monsters of the same type.

Here are a few more vids I've uploaded:

Belial's demo on map 8 of freak4.wad...usual Belial quality:

Method's great demo on map 17 of Scythe:

...and, last but not least, Vile's amazing demo of Eaxt, map 2:

I have some old Adam Hegyi pwad demos lined up to upload, but probably won't get to them for a few days.

I figured since Doom2.net is down and DSDA doesn't host these demos (at least not yet), I'll upload a few C/N world record maxes from Plutonia. All are recorded by Stx-Vile.

Map 04:

Map 05:

Map 06:

Map 08:

Map 10:

This one is Belial's nice demo of 2fight.wad (on DSDA) by Alexander S.

Never_Again said:

It seems that few pro speedrunners have the time and resources to turn their demos into YT videos.

I've already looked into doing this, and I WOULD except the problem is that I can't. My sound card is onboard and doesn't work with FRAPS, since it lacks any and all features to record sound directly from the computer. I was wanting to get Henning's new 30nm up on YT but nothing I could do to get the sound, because my sound card is a piece of shit.

Altima said:

I've already looked into doing this, and I WOULD except the problem is that I can't. My sound card is onboard and doesn't work with FRAPS, since it lacks any and all features to record sound directly from the computer. I was wanting to get Henning's new 30nm up on YT but nothing I could do to get the sound, because my sound card is a piece of shit.

Don't worry, I'll get to it eventually. :)

My eventual goal is to be able to upload every highly skilled DoomGod's most prized and best demos onto Youtube. I'm starting with the UV-Maxes because it's my personal favorite category, but eventually I'll get into the Nightmares and UV-Speeds. Those will actually (except for the movies) be faster and easier uploads anyways.

Edit: Also, it seems like the UV-Speed and Nightmares are a lot more popular on Youtube as well. Doing a quick search yields Vile's Nightmare run, tons of random Sedlo runs and TAS runs by Entryway/Jongo/Sedlo, a compilation of all the UV speeds from Doom and Doom 2, as well as random demos uploaded by Koirake (Ocelot). I won't be uploading demos of Xit, Kimo, Tatsurd, Ryback, Never_Again, Green Herring, TimeofDeath, or any other speedrunner who has his own channel, even though a few of them (Xit in particular) has some nice runs not uploaded.

I might also reupload some demos already on Youtube if the original video's quality is too shitty.

For example, a Youtube user named "Rashreflection" has almost all of the current Doom I UV Maxes uploaded, but the quality is so bad that I could hardly make out the sprites in the video.

Back with more demos from Hegyi, Vile, and Henning this time. Not on DSDA, except for the Hegyi demos. Big thank you to Dew for sending me the text files again...I have a nasty habit of deleting them and only keeping the demos.

Hegyi is one of the first demo recorders to regularly two-shot cybies.

Love watching Hegyi's style:

More goodness from Hegyi:

World record map 13 from Vile:

Record map 14 from Vile:

Record map 17 from Vile:

Record map 19 from Vile (yes, Drew holds a ton of PL records, lol):

Finally one not from Vile...Henning's record map 20

Never_Again said:

Did you try changing Default Device under Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices -> Audio -> Sound Recording?
Most of old ISA cards were half-duplex, meaning they could either play back or record but not both at the same time. I thought every sound chip in the past ten years has been full-duplex?

I've looked at everything I can find as far as advice on how to do this, but my particular chip-set will not allow me to do it, and when I try to sync the audio up, it would either be the audio was too fast, or too slow, so syncing was impossible to begin with. It's the reason I'm doing LPs of Doom instead of making high-quality videos of the demos recorded. I've tried FRAPS, and I have actually tried what you advised, but either one thing or the other refuses to sync up. I've been trying to get a new computer for years, but I can never seem to afford one for many reasons.

I'll give it another try but I'm gonna bet money it ends up the same way as before.

Edited to add in, I found the specs for my comp. Everything here is the same, except the hard drive is 250 gigs instead of 100 gigs, and there is a gig of RAM instead of the 512 listed.
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Compaq-Compaq-Presario-Desktop-PC-SR1616NX