Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Post your Doom video! [but don't quote video]

Philnemba said:

video

ACS Arcade was fun. I don't know why anyone has done a sequel to cover all of ZDoom's ACS advancements since then.

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

video

LOL that is quite an odd jokewad with hilarious crayon sprites and textures.

Anyway...

Its funny watching Barons kill each other.

Okay. This is our (mine and hiipp0cat's) buddy playing Plutonia 2. Now, he's talking in Russian, actually, but he calls enemies (and other things sometimes) by their english names and, well, hilarious exclamations are always hilarious, even if you don't know what particular vulgar object (or person) the curse word even represents.

The guy has sincere overreactions to even mild surprises. I mean, even a sudden imp can scare him. Imagine archviles and mancubi. In fact, don't imagine, just watch. Might also be cool to hear russian language to some of you guys, pity you won't know what he says, because he sometimes words his thoughts in really subtly funny ways.
Also, if you're like me, you might want to see P2 without playing it yourself.

Though be warned, he's not the most skilled player, he sometimes gets lost and saves A LOT. Don't watch this for the awesome playing.

This is the very first video, check out the others. Right now it's up to part 3.4.
If there's an interest, i will post here when he updates.

(sorry for the long introduction)

p.s. of you make out any exclamations that you can recognize, feel free to ask for a translation.

p.p.s. he also swears in english too, because apparetly we all do when we are feeling classy. By we i mean russian-speaking folk.

Rock Lobstah said:

Also, I'm guessing the original intended sound card would've been some sort of Sound Blaster card, but lord knows which make/model.

I am guessing this relates to a conversation about music in egd's videos?

Doom's music was written to be played on a Roland Sound Canvas hardware synth. This was fairly high-end gear at the time, even today an SC-155 goes for >$200, so very few people had one. The IWADs also include lumps which specify instrument sounds on an SB16 OPL3 chip. These lumps are different between Doom 1 and 2, meaning a given song can sound slightly different when used as a PWAD with the other (Doom 1 music played in Doom 2 and vice versa). Doom is one of the few games ever to do this with the OPL3, most just used a generic instrument set, which is why Doom music sounds so damn good compared to other games of the time.

If you want to hear Doom music as it was intended, LogicDeLuxe (a forum member here and professional sound engineer) has put up FLAC torrents of the music played over his Sound Canvas. I've converted these to OGG and auto-load them with PrBoom, it sounds awesome. ZDoom does almost perfectly accurate OPL emulation, so does DOSBox. The OPL is a completely digital chip so perfect emulation in software actually is possible. Emulation can sound arguably nicer than the original hardware as almost all Soundblasters had a cheap pre-amp circuit on the output which muffles the sound somewhat, whereas on a modern PC you get the raw digital OPL sound from the emulatorand play it through your nice new soundcard which has better quality output than an ISA card that came out 19 years ago.

Chocolate Doom does PC speaker emulation, it's pretty hilarious, and Fraggle's working on GPL-compatible OPL emulation for Choco as well.

Cool vid chu. I like how you snagged sounds from morrowind, RE, and probably some other games I didn't recognize ;)

2 things;
1- the dynamite weapon's animation does not look like the guy is actually throwing it, and that's mainly from the left hand imo. Doing something like
-light while pulling hands towards right and back
-pull right hand off screen and left in a slight diagonal with the lighter up near the mid-right side of the screen
-throw, starting with left hand sweeping right to left and having the right hand enter when the left is about 1/4 from the right side of the screen or so.

Would look more natural imo, which isn't too big a deal but I got the vibe you wanted to be somewhat realistic. Although looking at some of those weapons I'm not too sure now ;)

2- the forest at the end looks like tree textures plastered onto a wall, consider pulling it back and mapping some tree 'architecture' in.

Keep it up :)

ArmouredBlood said:

Cool vid chu. I like how you snagged sounds from morrowind, RE, and probably some other games I didn't recognize ;)

They are all Blood sounds, except for one Quake sound you hear (leftover from Zblood). The rest of them are all straight from either Blood or Blood II: The Chosen. I know because those are the only sources I got the sounds from.

Huh, I could've sworn the wind-through-caves sound was used in morrowind, and the key pickup was from RE. Never mind then, I haven't played blood, maybe those games got the ideas for the sounds from it.

eargosedown said:

HackNeyed hooked me up bigtime =) Got a 100 on my school project, so it was quite the win!

Grats on that :D. I'm usually pretty taciturn, but just wanted to say that your playthrough has been quite entertaining thus far. Really enjoy your laconic yet humorous style of commenting.

Qaatar said:

Grats on that :D. I'm usually pretty taciturn, but just wanted to say that your playthrough has been quite entertaining thus far. Really enjoy your laconic yet humorous style of commenting.

Cheers to that =)

The next video should be up soonish. Doing things a little differently; My boyfriend originally was going to co-commentate with me, but apparently I loosened his chains a little too much and he tried to sneak away. Since I completely butchered the last run, and it took me another HOUR to complete the map because I got so lost, AND the recording is absent of audio, I decided to just start up from the next level. So, I'm gonna record a play through of the next level, then me and him are going to voice over it (and actually commentate this time instead of me just trying to not die) and release it like that (Ala Antroid and Hipp0Cat-ish?) If people enjoy it maybe I'll snag him back for more in the future.

And finally an update! This time we trade audio quality for another commentator! So finally, by popular demand (by 2 people), here is a dual-commentary by me and my boyfriend!

Recently, I published a UV max demo pack for the 1996 Doom episode replacement Dinner, by Damian Pawlukanis. Before publishing the full pack, however, I also published YouTube videos for some of the demos, such as this one for E2M1:

Every demo in this pack now has a video, which can be viewed from a playlist here. I plan to start using my YouTube channel to post videos of future speedruns.

eargosedown said:

Secret? ... seecreet.

lol

I haven't kept up but are you using perkristian's Hi-res sfx wad? Are the new codec why I'm hearing it now? Anyway, though I liked the dynamic with you and your non-doomer bf commenting (I hope you can drag him back for a few more) I prefer the real time commenting with all the surprise and swearing.

Thanks for the new vids.

HackNeyed said:

lol

I haven't kept up but are you using perkristian's Hi-res sfx wad? Are the new codec why I'm hearing it now? Anyway, though I liked the dynamic with you and your non-doomer bf commenting (I hope you can drag him back for a few more) I prefer the real time commenting with all the surprise and swearing.

Thanks for the new vids.

Yup! I was wondering how long it'd take for someone to recognize it ;)

I'll drag him back sometime in the future, though with my current CPU, a live recording probably won't be possible with both of us. Also, apparently vegas pro 9.0 hates DivX so... no snazy intro yet =(

eargosedown said:

Also, apparently vegas pro 9.0 hates DivX so... no snazy intro yet =(

PRO TIP: Render out to a fast Lossless codec and use VirtualDub to then re-encode to desired Lossy format.

Well, that might be too much time and hassle for a 'simple' Let's Play Youtube upload but that's what I did years (and years) ago when I had Vegas Pro 6.

I can't remember what codec I used most but I must have played with the five I've listed below. I think I settled on Midvid JPEG (or MSU Lossless) for capturing, editing and archiving when I was running an Intel P4 3ghz.

I'm sure with a little testing you can find one that works for your setup. I was trying to balance speed of capture/compression, in editor performance and file size all while keeping a happy compatibility with Vegas 6.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/HuffYUV.htm HuffYUV (Do not use the newer 2.2.0)
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Midvid_JPEG_Video_Codec.htm Midvid JPEG
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/CorePNG.htm CorePNG
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MSU_Lossless_Video_Codec.htm MSU Lossless
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Lagarith_Lossless_Video_Codec.htm Lagarith Lossless

Eh, according to "teh webz", I just need to install the 32x version, since the 64x doesn't support DivX yet.

Lossless codec ends up with massive filesizes.

(An arch-vile resurrects a chaingunner)
EARGOSEDOWN: Why him? why the chaingunner?

Haha, I loved it.

Yeah it's overkill for this but it might come in handy later when extra quality and/or archiving have a high priority. These codecs are generally editor friendly (high-Q, fast seeking, etc) compared to other High-Q Lossy codecs such as Divx or H.264/x264 (MPEG-4 AVC). Yes, file size for Lossless is big but far from massive when compared to raw (yikes!). Midvid JPEG Video Codec is only Lossless at 100% and Lossy at anything less and I might have used 80% or so and it was still great looking with a much more manageable file size.

I just miss video editing I guess. So many things I want to get back to doing but they'll all have to wait while I work on my main project, Real Life™