Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Post your Doom video! [but don't quote video]

This was an old speedrun video I did back during the summer. By taking advantage of the ZDOOM physics, I used a trick by letting the Archviles "juggle" me so I can grab the red key.

Just something that happen earlier this afternoon(well as in saturday afternoon to be precise) before going to work.

A not-so-serious FFA match of Greenwar 2 map7 on skulltag.
Recorded with fraps a couple of days ago.

DuckReconMajor said:

The topic title is self-explaining...just post your Doom video that your taking while playing...Just mention the name of the WAD where this video is coming from...

I just learned how to take DOSBox video, so I uploaded me failing at ORIGWAD. If you see any inaccuracies in the description please let me know.

omg that was painful to watch... JUST GO THROUGH THE BLEEPING DOOR ALERADY! how do you shoot video in DOSbox?

@philnemba: the second video had some cool things in it!

^ Repeatedly quoting images or videos, especially in threads where there is a warning about that or after posts get edited with warning images, will make one visit the Losers forum.

Hellbent said:

omg that was painful to watch... JUST GO THROUGH THE BLEEPING DOOR ALERADY! how do you shoot video in DOSbox?

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Recording_Video

Me playing through the first two maps of Zen Dynamics as a demo for those who haven't played it. Great, great mod.

Reboot of the Let's Play series that me and my boyfriend were gonna do.... He ended up not having enough interest to continue so I'm starting on my own again. Instead of continuing with 1monster, I decided to move to something I've never played before and always wanted to - Alien Vendetta.

So, enjoy, please please please leave comments/critiques on the style. Tell me what's good, what's bad, so I can improve the next video! :D

eargosedown said:

Reboot of the Let's Play series that me and my boyfriend were gonna do.... He ended up not having enough interest to continue so I'm starting on my own again. Instead of continuing with 1monster, I decided to move to something I've never played before and always wanted to - Alien Vendetta.

[video]

So, enjoy, please please please leave comments/critiques on the style. Tell me what's good, what's bad, so I can improve the next video! :D

You are in for a blast. Still the best 'classic' megawad ever. The later levels get huge. Level 11 is my personal favorite.

My only comment on your vid: Blazing away at medium to long range with a SSG is not the most ammo efficient. I was thinking 'you are going to run out of ammo' and sure enough: you ran out of ammo. You did the levels pretty well tho for a first time through. I seem to recall dying on level 2 myself on my first playthrough, so you have done better than me! Difficulty on the vid is HMP yeah? I seem to recall Hell knights on the exit trap on UV, but i could be wrong.

Good vid tho. Keep going, you are in for some awesome levels. :)

[edit]watching the vid again, I saw it was HMP. And that HOM thing in the nukage near the start is a ZDoom thing, as it is fine on vanilla.

Kyka said:

Blazing away at medium to long range with a SSG is not the most ammo efficient.

What should he have used, chaingun tapping? (I'm not disagreeing with you I just like tips on how to save ammo)

As a general rule when using shotguns, either double or single barrel: If you are too far away to be sure that every pellet will hit its target, then you are too far away, period. Same when using chaingun. At close range, you can cut loose, or if there are a lot of monsters, but if monsters are further away, or spread out, chaingun tapping is the way to go.

I just watched the video again, just to see. I think it is fair to say more care taken when aiming would preserve the ammo situation a lot better. Also, only using the super shotty at close range too. (And not using the super shotty on single zombiemen, for example :P) forgive the criticism eargoesdown, this is going to sound pretty picky, but it is just intended to answer DRM's question, and I hope it helps a little.)

3:38. 2 missed single shots.
3:50'another missed shot.
4:27 nice manc dodging there. :)
4:47 3 doubles instead of 2 on the revenant. (This one was under pressure, so is fine)
5:10 Missed rocket.
5:16-5:22. 3 Double Barrel shots from too far away, too many pellets missed their targets.
5:22 missed single barrel shot.
5:27 another missed single barrel shot.
5:29 a double shotty shot that hits the ledge instead of the demon in the nukage.
5:38 same again.
5:40 a half hit, and then a complete miss with the double.
5:43 another miss.
5:44 another double mostly hits the ledge rather than the pinky in the nukage.
5:48 another double from too far away, only half hitting the pinky.
5:48. We appear to be out of shotty ammo, a switch to the chaingun happens.

So to sum up. 2 minutes of dooming, around 20 more shells spent than if every pellet had hit. That's an entire box of shells there. Heh. Nuff said.

eargoesdown, I apologise for this critique. You are a pretty decent doomer, as proved by the fact you survived these two levels. I sure didn't on my first ever playthrough of AV. My point is, you have more time to line up those shots, as mostly those shots weren't made under heaps of pressure.

DRM, hope this kinda answers your question.

Thanks! Here's another question: is it better to keep out the shotgun and pull out the ssg when you feel you need it or the other way around when you feel you can save ammo? Or do you look at each fight, back up, then choose a weapon? I've never been a big fan of the SSG but I always sort of "obligated" to use it because of the extra pellets.

Kyka said:

eargoesdown, I apologise for this critique. You are a pretty decent doomer, as proved by the fact you survived these two levels. I sure didn't on my first ever playthrough of AV. My point is, you have more time to line up those shots, as mostly those shots weren't made under heaps of pressure.

DRM, hope this kinda answers your question.

No no! I like this! Advice is good! :D

Main reason I kept out the SSG is because, after the revenant ambush, I was scared **

My main playtime consists of playing Oblige maps with Monsters set to highest, ammo set to lowest, and health set to scarse. As such, I'm used to dodging, running, and just using the SSG to crank a monster or two before running. I rarely if ever clear a map like I did for these levels, so it's an interesting deal. I think at one point I did switch to the standard shotty to snipe imps up top, but I really wasn't thinking for the first part. I'll get better as I play through I'm sure :D

How was the volume of the game/my voice? What was good/bad about the voice-over? Anything I shouldn't do? Anything that you liked that I should do more of?

And, thanks for taking the time to watch! Episode two will be recorded later tonight when my dog goes to sleep and stops barking >.>

DuckReconMajor said:

Thanks! Here's another question: is it better to keep out the shotgun and pull out the ssg when you feel you need it or the other way around when you feel you can save ammo? Or do you look at each fight, back up, then choose a weapon? I've never been a big fan of the SSG but I always sort of "obligated" to use it because of the extra pellets.

I'd say, rule of thumb for me: If the biggest thing you're seeing is a Demon and a bunch of zombies/imps, keep the single shot out. When you start getting big monsters (Hell knights and higher) or a thick amount of zombies (Like 4+ shotty guys at a time) swap to the SSG.

Although, I really think the chaingun is probably the best weapon for dealing with zombies. The shotgun isn't as effective for clearing playing.

That being said, the SSG is a speed runners wet dream.

Kyka said:

As a general rule when using shotguns, either double or single barrel: If you are too far away to be sure that every pellet will hit its target, then you are too far away, period.

I beg to differ. The Shotgun is a good sniping weapon for distant humanoids, it doesn't need every pellet to hit a Zombieman or Sargent, and it's a great way to take out distant Imps, Demons and to weaken more powerful monsters like Cacos, Revenants or Hell Knights. Many maps force you to do this due to ammo situation or weapon pickup order, or don't give you time/space to make sure you can pistol/chaingun snipe everything due to enemy placement. It's also alot more fun than plinking everything off from a distance to make every single bullet count :P

DuckReconMajor said:

As you know the Shotgun uses 1 shell and fires 7 hitscan "pellets", the SSG uses 2 shells and fires 20 hitscans, but to make up for that increase in power it has a larger spread. So, if you're going to fire the SSG and have less than 3/4 of the hitscans connect, it is more efficient to use the Shotgun.

The SSG is probably my favorite weapon. 1 shot (2 shells) takes down a Demon whereas they often need 3 Shotgun blasts (3 shells). ~3 SSG blasts takes down a Caco or Hell Knight, 2-3 take down a Revenant. It's one of the few weapons which will reliably painstate an Archvile and Cyberdemon. It deals roughly as much damage as a Rocket blast but you can use it at close range without suffering splash damage, though it has about half the firing rate of the RL.

When facing humanoids the SSG is heaps of fun, it has a large damage spread so you can take out fairly distant enemies easily and hitscans will continue once an enemy is dead, there's nothing quite as empowering as taking down four Imps with one shot. That's obviously far better ammo efficiency than the Shotgun.

I'll also switch to the SSG when facing Chaingunners or Imps and there is either an abundance of ammo or I'm low on health. Those enemies *can* die with a single Shotgun blast but don't always and if I can help it, I'd rather not take the risk.

DuckReconMajor said:

I kind of do both. I do switch weapons a lot, even between individual monsters. (I think this came from years of playing Quake III Arena. You know the deal: Rocket blast a player into the air, rail snipe them while they are helpless flying through the air, or machine gun them as a finishing weapon.). I think I just trust my instincts. I don't wait until I am in a fight before I select my weapon tho. I hunt mostly with a single barrel shotty, but will change weapons in the following situations:
a) Before picking up a key, stepping through a teleporter, hitting a switch or taking a lift that I cannot see what is at the top/bottom.
b)Whenever I get a bad feeling, or whenever I think "If a trap springs here, will I have time to change weapons?" If I am crossing a huuuge open room with no cover anywhere, I probably won't want a Super Shotty out; if monster closets open up, it is pretty ineffective at range.
Point is this: Don't wait til you are in a fight before deciding which weapon to be carrying. At least I like to know which weapon I will switch to if a trap springs. Nothing worse than having a bunch of hell knights and chaingunners teleport in around you and you start key mashing to pull out the right weapon. (Or worse, you use mouse wheel to change weapons, and you scroll too far, and instead of pulling out your BFG, you scroll the wheel one click too far and pull out your fists. You die. You mumble various colorful words under your breath)

Super Jamie said:

I beg to differ. The Shotgun is a good sniping weapon for distant humanoids, it doesn't need every pellet to hit a Zombieman or Sargent, and it's a great way to take out distant Imps, Demons and to weaken more powerful monsters like Cacos, Revenants or Hell Knights. Many maps force you to do this due to ammo situation or weapon pickup order, or don't give you time/space to make sure you can pistol/chaingun snipe everything due to enemy placement. It's also alot more fun than plinking everything off from a distance to make every single bullet count :P

I'll also switch to the SSG when facing Chaingunners or Imps and there is either an abundance of ammo or I'm low on health. Those enemies *can* die with a single Shotgun blast but don't always and if I can help it, I'd rather not take the risk.

Yeah, you make a good point here. I will sometimes allow the odd pellet to miss, or be wasted, though generally I will always pistol or chaingun snipe at range, especially single targets. But if you have an abundance of ammo, and multiple weak targets that is fine too. I guess my natural play style is very conservative. I like every pellet to hit. But it is totally situational. Say you are in a big room with no cover and a chaingunner steps out and you are carrying a Super Shotty. You will just blast him first and ask questions later. Better to waste a bunch of pellets in 'overkilling' the chaingunner than it would be to switch weapons and have him pump you full of lead while you are doing so.

Long story short. Preserving health is more important than preserving ammo. In fact preserving ammo is only beneficial in that it allows you to continue to preserve health in the future. Or something like that anyway.

(Disclaimer: What I have written here is more aimed at surviving single player encounters. Speedrunning and Deathmatching have different approaches and different priorities. Conserving ammo is nowhere near as important in these, obviously!)

Part 2 is up. The next two levels were a LOT of fun, and I get my rear handed to me a couple of times haha. Been trying to conserve ammo and play less like a speedrunner, line up shots etc. I also talk MUCH louder this time so I don't sound half-asleep/whispering like in the first video.

and the second part

Critiques/comments very much welcome and appreciated! :D

UV speed of map15 on TNT: Evilution that I made back in August and recently uploaded on Youtube.

Hey eargosedown.

I am enjoying your AV playthrough series. I know how much I love these levels, so to see someone else playing through them is a buzz for me. Also, there was some good commentary too. Lines such as:

"Looks like the UAC is up to no good once more."

"Oh I have a Rocket launcher. I knew that."

"Nothing bad happened. I need to have more faith."

were just gold. Keep 'em coming. :)

Kyka said:

Hey eargosedown.

I am enjoying your AV playthrough series. I know how much I love these levels, so to see someone else playing through them is a buzz for me. Also, there was some good commentary too. Lines such as:

"Looks like the UAC is up to no good once more."

"Oh I have a Rocket launcher. I knew that."

"Nothing bad happened. I need to have more faith."

were just gold. Keep 'em coming. :)

Haha, thanks :D

I personally liked how I said something to the extent of the level being easy, then got mugged by a trap.

TF2 took up my night, but the next video should be recorded tomorrow and posted either later tomorrow or the day after =)

video of "Icy's Superweapons Collection" which me and keksdose made along time ago, there should be a download link in the video description.

eargosedown said:

TF2 took up my night, but the next video should be recorded tomorrow and posted either later tomorrow or the day after =)

Could you say your username in your next video, just so I know how to pronounce it?