Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Post your Doom video! [but don't quote video]

I love watching Let`s Play vids of Doom. Some russian guy (hippocat) has already posted a playthrough of AV on youtube, but I`d love to watch another one also :)

DuckReconMajor said:

Could you say your username in your next video, just so I know how to pronounce it?

It's an intentional misspelling of ear-goes-down. Inside joke with the family ;)

If you're looking for my steam username, it's Alay.

Never_Again said:

Continuing with Ledmeister's Master Level max demos:
[...]

That was quite a surprise to see these on YouTube! Thanks Never. :)

darkreaver said:

I love watching Let`s Play vids of Doom. Some russian guy (hippocat) has already posted a playthrough of AV on youtube, but I`d love to watch another one also :)

He's started Deus Vult if anyone cares. Completed map01 with me guesting (which was pretty boring but funny at the right parts), and is currenly struggling through map02. :)

Nice to know somebody remembered though, heh.

Just some fast and boring pic's of my map.
Not done in a looong way.
Textures will be changed etc. much lighting to do and so on

Antroid said:

He's started Deus Vult if anyone cares. Completed map01 with me guesting (which was pretty boring but funny at the right parts), and is currenly struggling through map02. :)

Nice to know somebody remembered though, heh.

Yeah, I`ve been watching DV also, though those cybers at the end...omg! :D You can tell him he really sucks haha, nah just kidding, but daaamn that took some time :O

The arch-vile spawn was funny ^^

darkreaver said:

You can tell him he really sucks haha, nah just kidding, but daaamn that took some time :O

I've been doing that in the comments here and there. Sometimes watching him gets really irritating, but i still want to see the map played without cheats D: and well it's still entertaining.

Antroid said:
but i still want to see the map played without cheats D:

Check this out.

Naaah, i want to see a casual player. Besides, i never ever want to bother with demos - no commentary, no rewind? Who needs that? :D

Antroid said:

Besides, i never ever want to bother with demos - no commentary, no rewind? Who needs that? :D

I like it. LPs depend greatly on the individual, move alot slower and IMO mostly end up boring. Yours are some of the few I've actually found engaging enough to watch, and even then only because of the hilarious dynamic between you and Hippocat.

Sometimes I just wanna see someone play Doom, and play it well. Some demo recorders leave me awe-struck that they can play so skillfully.

Well damn. Seems that I'm not the only Cybie fan after all.

I'm sure the Hungarian guy says some pretty fucked up things.

Archvile78 said:

EDIT: Anyway i still don't know how to do this embed thing so here's a link to a video of me playing through map02 of Claustrophobia 1024 2 with Berserk fist only.

quote a post to see how it is done...

[edit] not a bad Tyson run either.[/edit]

Yaaay. Another installment of eargoesdown and his crazy AV antics!

A few quotes I liked.

"Wouldn't be Doom without traps"

"Thank you Cyberdemon. I always knew we were buddies. Deep Down. Until you start firing rockets at me.

I especially liked the bit where you said "And I killed myself. Let's try that again."

lol

Also, on Hillside seige, you found a secret I had never found. The one with the invisibility sphere. I thought I knew most of the secrets on AV by now. Apparently not.

The only comment on gameplay. If you want to get better at dealing with revenants homing rockets, you gotta get used to dodging at the last moment. A lot of times you strafe as soon as the revenant fired, which doesn't work, as that just gives the rocket plenty of time to still turn towards you. But at the last minute, it goes past you and (hopefully) turns into a nearby wall. (A good example of this is Part 5 about 1:10 to 1:20. Dodging straight away leaves you nowhere to go when the rockets home. A good example of 'correct' dodging is in Part 6, about 4:50 to 5:10. Dodging late = win)

Thanks for the videos dude, keep em coming. Again, hope you don't mind the critique. :)

Good job tho, there was many moments of coolness on there.

Kyka said:

The only comment on gameplay. If you want to get better at dealing with revenants homing rockets, you gotta get used to dodging at the last moment. A lot of times you strafe as soon as the revenant fired, which doesn't work, as that just gives the rocket plenty of time to still turn towards you. But at the last minute, it goes past you and (hopefully) turns into a nearby wall. (A good example of this is Part 5 about 1:10 to 1:20. Dodging straight away leaves you nowhere to go when the rockets home. A good example of 'correct' dodging is in Part 6, about 4:50 to 5:10. Dodging late = win)

Laaate is greeeaaat. Transfer your knowledge of swing to doom! (and vice versa).

Nice LP vids eargosedown, I haven't played much of AV yet so it's going to be interesting when you get to the later ones.

Just showing off a crappy joke wad that I made recently and only made this because I was bored(also I blame that guy who's trying to start a joke wad project) :P

Philnemba said:

Just showing off a crappy joke wad that I made recently and only made this because I was bored(also I blame that guy who's trying to start a joke wad project) :P

That scrolling floor fighting looks like something gggmork would do, except it'd be 1,000 times more deadly ;P

Kyka said:

Yaaay. Another installment of eargoesdown and his crazy AV antics!

Glad to hear at least some people are watching/enjoying =) And I'm a gal by the way. Crappy mic + deep voice = easy mistake though =P

Kyka said:

I'll give that a try! I might make a map of just revenants and spend a few hours on it. I can dance between mani's because I was doing a Dead Simple game (The one a while back where you stand on the little platform and see how long you can dodge everything before you die) and it taught me the proper dance. Prior to that I used to get squashed by them though.

Kyka said:

Thanks for the videos dude, keep em coming. Again, hope you don't mind the critique. :)

Glad you enjoyed! Next one will probably be up sometime between tonight and Monday evening. And I love the critiques, it makes me a better player and lets me know what the viewers like! =D

eargosedown said:

I'll give that a try! I might make a map of just revenants and spend a few hours on it.

Yeah it's just practice :) Give yourself a 192-256 unit hallway and a few deaf Revenants behind closed doors.

You'll also notice there's a certain length (from memory around 130-160 units) you can stay away from them and they will fire the least. This was dissected somewhere else on the forums with sourcecode and everything but I can't remember where.

Another tactic is to rush them to force them into their melee attack sequence, then use the time while they are stopped and punching to fill them with lead.

As you have probably noticed, smoking Rev rockets are homing, non-smoking ones go straight. Taking note of this allows you to plan your dodging from a distance.

eargosedown said:

And I'm a gal by the way. Crappy mic + deep voice = easy mistake though =P

Oh crap I'm so sorry!

Super Jamie said:

Another tactic is to rush them to force them into their melee attack sequence, then use the time while they are stopped and punching to fill them with lead.

As you have probably noticed, smoking Rev rockets are homing, non-smoking ones go straight. Taking note of this allows you to plan your dodging from a distance.

Yup, I used to use this Tactic.

Then I read on Doom wiki that they always retaliate with a rocket after being pained, which I ended up seeing for myself when I tried to make them punch again and took a point blank rocket =(

How does one counter a homing rocket effectively though? I always managed to dodge them, and their arc just ends up owning me in a few seconds to the back of the head.

eargosedown said:

How does one counter a homing rocket effectively though? I always managed to dodge them, and their arc just ends up owning me in a few seconds to the back of the head.

In rather open areas - run like hell away to something you can hide behind. If you can keep track of them, dodge into the arc when it'll be on the other side and keep firing like normal, then when they're all dead run like hell away to something you can hide behind ;P Make sure they're all spinning around you the right way though, if one starts going the opposite direction you're going to get hit unless very lucky.

In more obstacle-filled areas - find a wall or piece of detail that they'll collide on and stand close enough that you can dodge toward it and a little forward without getting caught on it and the rocket will hit it. Does not work well with more than 2-3 though.

In 64-wide hallways - if you can time it just right, they can be dodged, barely, but you have to hug one side of the wall and move much more forward than to the side, basically sidestepping 30-45 degrees perpendicular to the projectile(A bit turned vs. face on). It's a lot like but harder than dodging barons in that tight of a space. Usually there'll be turns in corridors that tight though.

EDIT: nice pic SJ ;)