Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdgg

Obituary Demo Pack

I'll just say Obituary is a very special WAD for me.
AFAIK, it is also one of the great WADs with little-to-none demo recording (like Mordeth, Ruinbros, etc.) So here they are: all the
maxes, WITH weapon patch.

See the text file for more details.

Enjoy!

obticdp.zip

Great!!

Edit: now record ruinbros, the best theme wad evar.

Haha, it would require someone with better skills. A month ago I tried MAP05 of Ruinbros UV-Speed (which would not be much master than Max, about 30% faster?) but I gave up. Maybe one day I'll record MAP04 "No secrets" (without RL and BFG).

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=2021

Thanks for recording and reminding! It is one of first PWADs I have ever played back in many years ago, so I began watch your demos with bright nostalgia feeling. :)

I watched the demos using Prboom+ version 2.5.0.2 and there seems to be a problem with MAP06 (the demo desynchs after 7 minutes because one somewhat different monster behaviour). Under Chocolate Doom 1.2.1 and PrBoom 2.4.7 the demo plays back correctly.

For me it desyncs in doom2.exe, choco 121, prbooom+ (2482, 2502) and playbacks correctly only in plain prboom (regardless of version).

stdout.txt said:

P_GetNodesVersion: using normal BSP nodes
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode.
gametic: 14924, sector: 367, complevel: 2
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode.
gametic: 14925, sector: 367, complevel: 2
gametic: 14926, sector: 367, complevel: 2
gametic: 14927, sector: 367, complevel: 2
gametic: 14928, sector: 367, complevel: 2
gametic: 14929, sector: 367, complevel: 2
gametic: 14930, sector: 367, complevel: 2
gametic: 14931, sector: 367, complevel: 2
gametic: 14932, sector: 367, complevel: 2
gametic: 14933, sector: 367, complevel: 2
gametic: 14934, sector: 367, complevel: 2
gametic: 14935, sector: 367, complevel: 2
gametic: 14936, sector: 367, complevel: 2

btw, there is a way to watch ob06-uv.lmp with prboom-plus

glboom-plus OBTIC1.WAD OBTIC1.DEH OBTIC2.DEH ob06-uv.lmp -uninitialize_crush_field_for_stairs

It's good to know that, but shouldn't that be in -emulate? The -emulate parameter is great for these things because you can usually get the engine version from the text file, while knowing the actual cause not so easy.

Hitherto said:

For me it desyncs in doom2.exe, choco 121, prbooom+ (2482, 2502) and playbacks correctly only in plain prboom (regardless of version).

It's good it actually playbacks with SOMETHING. Why it works on "my" Chocolate Doom is beyond my comprehension. Could someone else check that?

Regarding the message

gametic: 14924, sector: 367, complevel: 2

I don't really get this after having checked the sector 367. What's so suspicious about it? The fact is, the way I record the demos, all of them get out of synch somewhere near the room with an UAC sign on the floor.

I thought the easiest option would be to record another one, but alas, this one has the same problem. Again, choco plays it back correctly for me.

ob06-847.zip

myk said:

It's good to know that, but shouldn't that be in -emulate? The -emulate parameter is great for these things because you can usually get the engine version from the text file, while knowing the actual cause not so easy.

"-emulate 2.4.6" works fine too

"-emulate 2.4.7" does not work (the demos were recorded using PRBoom 2.4.7), because I introduced this much more probable behavior (initialisation of crash field with 'true' instead of false, because false is 0, true is any non a zero) in 2.4.6.1

vdgg said:

It's good it actually playbacks with SOMETHING. Why it works on "my" Chocolate Doom is beyond my comprehension. Could someone else check that?

Behavior in vanilla and chocolate is random

vdgg said:

I don't really get this after having checked the sector 367. What's so suspicious about it? The fact is, the way I record the demos, all of them get out of synch somewhere near the room with an UAC sign on the floor.

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/stairs_crash.zip

Try it with DoomBuilder, then
1. glboom-plus.exe -file stairs_crash.wad -complevel 2
2. glboom.exe -file stairs_crash.wad -complevel 2
3. chocolate-doom.exe -file stairs_crash.wad

Interesting?

vdgg said:

I thought the easiest option would be to record another one, but alas, this one has the same problem. Again, choco plays it back correctly for me.

Forget about choco in this case. Choco plays demos randomly. Works for you, does not work for Hitherto

I really appreciate entryway's help and patience. Now, with a profound knowledge of rising stairs crushing monsters, when I know that MAP06 demo can be watched with PRBoom+, the text file in the pack needs some serious modifications...

In the meantime, I recorded new demos for the levels 10 and 11 and I hope they will replace the old demos when the pack is uploaded to the DSDA (if Andy agrees).

The original demos for the levels 10 and 11 made me feel really ashamed, so I decided to re-record them and the resulting demos are about 25% faster. In level 10, I had a thought "This is a linear level. This is a linear level." so deeply stuck in my mind that I didn't even think of skipping the cyber and killing him at the end (and I patiently killed him with a shotgun). In fact, not only SSG can be used, but the cyber is also reachable by the flame thrower. The time has been cut significantly:
17:54 -> 13:07

When it comes to level 11, the demo was recorded before I realized a rocket launcher existed in the level, and after that I didn't exit with 100% kills. So it HAD to be improved, too. This is a funny level, BTW, with a nice flow now with the rocket launcher.
The time: 8:35 -> 6:31

Yes, I should have known it all before showing the entire pack :)

So, if you're not tired of Obituary yet, here are the new demos for maps 10 & 11:

To watch MAP11 demo under PRBoom+, either
- forget about the last 10 seconds
- watch it without obtic2.wad (without special sprites of monsters and weapons - I wouldn't recommend this)
- use version 2.5.0.4. test
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/history.html

ob10n11.zip