Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

Map 07 remake ready for some playtesting.

Yeah. Seeing as I haven't had any time to map recently (since Claus1024 was released), I thought I would post this map, that I finished a while back but never actually got around to doing anything with..

It is a heavily modified Doom2 Map07 remake. Monster count is around 1600, and each new area gets tougher than the last.

Feel free to make any suggestions/thoughts etc etc that you think, and if you are really feeling game, I would love to see a demo or two. (failed or not, don't matter)

It is a pretty tough map, but it is completable.

Screenies:

[edit] SECOND UPDATED LINK: http://www.speedyshare.com/840735852.html [/edit]

Oh Yeah. And thanks to gggmork, Jodwin, Creaphis and Dreadopp for playtesting an early version of this map ages ago. (And anyone else who playtested it back then, if I have forgotten.)

Also, Archvile78. I liked the title "Far from simple" so much I named the level this. Hope you don't mind if I use it?. Mr. Chris title came in a close second.

Not too bad :)
Only things I noticed, which might or might not need fixing were:

The teleporters that the player could use - seemed to both be missing a lower texture?

Why four switches to access the exit, given that you can only press one?

In regards to the teleporters missing lower textures, that was sort of intentional. I kinda liked the way the missing textures made the teleporter floor seem to move around inside the surrounding area. Heh, I thought it looked kinda cool. But probably everyone else will see it as a mistake. :(

And as for the exit access having four switches, you may be right.

Thanks for the feedback Gazebo. :)

I almost thought I hadn't loaded the right wad until I hit the exit switch and 4 cyberdemons came out of the walls.

It's pretty good so far, but the invisibility spheres seem a bit excessive. I'll post more later.

It's broken.

The switch which reveals the invulnerability after the arch-viles doesn't open the doors around the arena as it should, because the switch is "raise ceiling to highest" while, for the doors, it should be "lower floor to lowest." It's impossible to get past that point. :P

I tested everything in PrBoom and ZDoom pretty thoroughly... Aaaand then went and made a few last minute changes, and just did a quick playthrough in ZDoom to finish...

Does anyone have any idea why that switch still worked in ZDoom, but obviously not in PrBoom? A switch that raises a ceiling still worked on a sector, lowering its floor? WTF???

Anyway, that is what i get for making last minute changes and not testing as thoroughly as I should have...

Thanks jodwin for pointing this out.

Link is now updated.

Also I changed the final access switch to only have one switch instead one on each side of the pillar. thanks gazebo. :)

Oh nice i wasn't expecting you to use the name and of course i don't mind. :)

gggmork said:

is the central invuln switch supposed to be accessible from the start?

Dammit. Forgot to put the stone wall in front of it back up when I made those fixes. Thanks gggmork for mentioning this. Link updated.

Archvile78 said:

Oh nice i wasn't expecting you to use the name and of course i don't mind. :)

Thanks heaps. Appreciated.

I took forever finding secrets at the end:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/eclrl5
Its mostly a fun map, but these are slight annoyances in my opinion (which doesn't matter since its your map):
*hard to get max cuz nooks/crannies for enemies to hide in
*invisibility spheres to avoid
*sometimes not all of those viles warp and a few stay blasting you
*berzerks forcing weapon switch
*the eye switch didn't work one time but usually does
*the arachnotron step sometimes goes up too far
*would be more fun w/o beginning vanilla 07 area imo
*invisible demons makes rockets too risky/splash damage
*requires a lot of switch/hunt/memorization especially for n00bs to the map

gggmork said:

I took forever finding secrets at the end:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/eclrl5
Its mostly a fun map, but these are slight annoyances in my opinion (which doesn't matter since its your map):
*hard to get max cuz nooks/crannies for enemies to hide in

This is true, but I kinda like the fact that if you don't look, they can sneak up from behind.

*invisibility spheres to avoid

But only on the first area. And avoiding them is part of the fun. Also they are useful for all the chaingunners in the second area.

*sometimes not all of those viles warp and a few stay blasting you

Mostly they do warp, and there is cover close enough to make it to if they do stay and try and blast u tho.

*berzerks forcing weapon switch

This I have thought about. For me it makes it fun, seeing as you can get swarmed by demons and spectres, a few times I have actually found it helpful. But seeing as I have released it, then it should be fun for others too, so I might change that.

*the eye switch didn't work one time but usually does

Uggggh.

*the arachnotron step sometimes goes up too far

Not sure what I could do about this. When one of the arch's res arachnotrons and you kill thte last one, it raises that stair by another 16 units. Also this is a known doom bug, if you kill the last two arachno's too close together one after the other, the stair can go up twice.

*would be more fun w/o beginning vanilla 07 area imo

This is a part of a bigger project, so part of the surprise is when you get to level 7, you may think it has defaulted, but when you exit you get a surprise. Or something.

*invisible demons makes rockets too risky/splash damage

I like it, but it probably wouldn't matter to have more of them as demons rather than spectres.

*requires a lot of switch/hunt/memorization especially for n00bs to the map

I actually simplified the switch hunting a lot from the original version, but yeah, this is still a valid point . I don't think it is too unreasonable tho, they are all out in the open, but there is a lot of map to cross to know where they are...

And thanks heaps for the suggestions. And the demo. It was a completely different way than I usually play that map. I was impressed, you know the map better than me, that was a really fast route you took through it. Awesome. :)

I have finished playing this map and I have to say: this map is the granddaddy of all Dead Simple remakes and it took me almost an hour to beat!

I am thinking of uploading this map to the archives. (My first archive upload.) What do people think? Is it good enough? I mean I know you can upload anything to the archives, but I would like to upload maps that are at least of a decent standard. Thoughts?

Stephen312 said:

I have finished playing this map and I have to say: this map is the granddaddy of all Dead Simple remakes and it took me almost an hour to beat!

Whoah. Thanks for the comment dude. Much appreciated, and glad you liked it. :)

Well, I'd say it's "good enough", but I'm not sure if you could upload the map since it basically retains the original map07 in it. If you replaced it with a new "lookalike" then there should be no problems.

I actually thought you could do this freely as long as the map you made requires the original Doom2 wad to play it.

Or does the archive have different standards on this point?

Is there another link for this map? I'm very interested, but the current link is dead.

Looks like a variant of "the punisher" theme, just for map07.

Edit: did I say I love maps like this? :P Maps like punisher, go2it, go4it, etc... Iwad map edits.

Mr. Freeze said:

Is there another link for this map? I'm very interested, but the current link is dead.

Here it is (First post also updated.)

Sorry I can't post it anywhere more permanent than speedyshare. :( If anyone can post a link that is slightly more permanent than, like 2 days, that would be appreciated.

Torn, thanks for the comments. Glad you had some fun with it.

Megaupload and Mediafire are both permanent, I believe. I'm going to check this out. I'll give my thoughts in a bit.

[edit] Well... Its not too bad. I was expecting more challenge from the archviles with the number of corpses on the ground, but they surprisingly weren't a problem (I seriously hate those fucking things).

I got to a certain point where I was running around for probably 10-15 minutes trying to figure out where to get to the second from outer ring, which was kind of annoying. Switch hunts suck. You should at least hide all the old switches (I'd do, like, a pass-thru double switch to activate two different sectors or something) to make them easier to pick out the next one, or something.

I got kind of bored at that point getting to that outer area and quit. I kind of felt like it was too long by then. But personally, I prefer maps with mild combat and more exploring.

Nomad said:

I got to a certain point where I was running around for probably 10-15 minutes trying to figure out where to get to the second from outer ring, which was kind of annoying. Switch hunts suck. You should at least hide all the old switches (I'd do, like, a pass-thru double switch to activate two different sectors or something) to make them easier to pick out the next one, or something.

I got kind of bored at that point getting to that outer area and quit. I kind of felt like it was too long by then. But personally, I prefer maps with mild combat and more exploring.

Thanks for having a play nomad. Yeah in truth, this is a genuine criticism of this map. The switch hunting is much simpler than it was in the original version of the map, but there is still those last 2 switches which take a little wandering around to see. They are out in the open, cant miss them, but it is still a big level. I like the idea about closing the old ones so as to make it easier. :) Might just implement this.

neubejiita said:

I have uploaded this map to my website @ http://bejiitas_wrath.tripod.com/doom_wadfiles.htm

You can go 2 the page and download the file there, so u have a more permanent link to your file.

Thanks for the link neubejiita. Much appreciated. Yaaaay.