Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoWits

Alpha textures, anyone?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had the patches for the Doom alpha (preferably 0.5)? I tried extracting them with XWE but there's this bloody pink line at the bottom of them all! The reason I want them is that there are many in there which look cool that aren't in the final release. The same is with flats too. I want to use tham in my level.

If anyone has any advice I will be most grateful. Thanks!

DeuTex, a command line WAD editing tool, can dump the contents of the alphas and the beta rather well.

That's good, but how the hell do I use it?! I tried Wintex and it just crashed out as soon as I opened it!

How much I should be telling you here depends on how much you've used the command line, and I'm not sure...

You can use a batch file in DeuTex's folder or open the system command prompt and navigate to the that directory. There are some text files in the ZIP that give you the commands (manpage.txt briefly, dtexman6.doc in depth), you'll see it includes some to edit the alphas (like -doom05) as well as various commands that extract files (-xtract and so on).

WinTex could have terminated due to some missing DLL, but this thing should work once you get to the command line or prepare the batch file.

Yeah, Wintex requires a bunch of Visual Basic runtimes and dlls, and I couldn't say which right now as I haven't used it in years. If you're getting an error message about something like VBRUN500.dll or something like that, just google it and you can download it somewhere. If it's just crashing, i couldn't tell you. :/

Deathzor extracted all alpha resources already, so you can just download his rip. I don't keep it bookmarked, but it should be pretty easy to find it by googling keywords like "doom alpha resources".

Gez, thanks a lot! I found the resources you meant. Thanks very much. :D

Edit: OK, back from playing them both. They were extremely eerie, mainly because they were lonely but also because there were no enhancement: everything is just as it was in the alpha versions. The sound is all pitched down and bastardised in 0.4, which adds to the wierdness. The nuclear plant is completely bare, and seems to be made out of about 3 sectors, as does Computer Station. What I really came here for, though, were the textures. They Are Awesome. And I love them. Especially the doors that were cut out. They look like they're from Doom 2! I'm gonna use that in my maps because they're all awesome. Thanks a lot Gez, you've really helped me. :D

There is some stupendous material in those alphas.

You have pipes for every occasion, and GRAYs too, the cutest dishwasher and microwave textures, there's the whole range of minimalist PS0 signs (which I just love using and making mods of) and also the expanded range of PS1 signs ('VOLTAGE', 'EXPLOSIVE') which give a taste of what could have been ...and that's all before you get to the FOUR WAY FRICKIN' SWITCHES!

But seriously, what was Carmack thinking when he made W20_1?!

I know. Now THAT'S what I call warped!

Also, check out the TEXTURE lump in the 0.4 resources! Those textures are HUGE!

And both texture sets have untilable textures in? How retarded. 0o

Nixot said:

That's good, but how the hell do I use it?! I tried Wintex and it just crashed out as soon as I opened it!

Wintex requires vbrun300.dll and threed.vbx in the Windows\System directory. It works OK under XP, don't know about Vista.

Thanks, GreyGhost, but my project is already underway because of Deathz0r. Thanks for showing me the files however.

WinTex doesn't really support alpha and beta resource extraction, at least not fully.