Find results in...
bimlanders

TNT Map 14: Steel Works

WTF?

Quote from gamefaqs walkthrough:

"Down here, lower the lift next to you, get on it, and ride it to the top. Up
here, RUN to the other side of this platform before the crushing ceiling kills
you. Once you get to the other side, drop down to the floor below you."

This is after you get the red key. There's no way to run through before the ceiling crushes you. I tried every which way and you die every time. I had to idclip this part. I hate cheating but I hate design flaws (?) like this and it ruins the fun. Am I just missing the obvious? The walkthrough makes it seem like you just run right through it with no problem!

You are indeed suppose to run under the crusher to reach the Blue Key. Pratice makes perfect.

It's easy.

Spoiler

Make sure you're pressing the run key and run forth as it starts to rise or just when it gives you the space to do so while rising. If you waste time or start running when it's about to go down you will die.

If you're running and strafing at the same time, you'll be fast enough. If in addition you use the mouse to move yourself even faster, you'll be able to pick items from platforms you couldn't pick from before. This will save you lots of time.

Is there an advantage for accelerating and timing yourself to run into the crusher just after it opens, versus pressing yourself against it, and only starting to move after it opens?

But you don't need strafe running. If you did, it could be considered a design flaw as it's a bad practice to require it unless the level is explicitly for advanced players or speed runners.

Maybe you aren't 'Running'? try holding the shift key. or if you are using a source port go to the options and switch on 'always run' You can also try strafe running too, where you run forward, and strafe at the same time, then face a diagonal direction. That ultimately increases your velocity toward your destination.

The biggest threat is the damaging floors. You don't even have to make it all the way to the end, you can jump off one of the sides when you get there. I honestly had no trouble getting through that. In fact I was able to go to the other crushing ceilings, run all the way forward and touch the wall (in software mode it looks like there's a dark hallway at the end) and get back just barely before being crushed.

Hi. I have auto-run on 24/7. In case there's some confusion, it's when the ceiling crushes in many different sections along the same pathway, and not the ones that just one straight down singly. I tested going forward from the other side and I got through just fine. But coming from the area after obtaining the red key, on the opposite side, there is no way to time it. Anyways, it's just frustrating and lame. Thanks for the replies. I was in a frustrated mood all day because I'm really gassy. TMI.

myk said:

But you don't need strafe running. If you did, it could be considered a design flaw as it's a bad practice to require it unless the level is explicitly for advanced players or speed runners.

No, you don't need it. But it makes this level considerably easier. ;)

printz said:

Is there an advantage for accelerating and timing yourself to run into the crusher just after it opens, versus pressing yourself against it, and only starting to move after it opens?

I believe there is. Seems to get 'hung up' less if you move back a little then run under.
(This is with doors, crushers, anything).

bimlanders said:
Hi. I have auto-run on 24/7. In case there's some confusion, it's when the ceiling crushes in many different sections along the same pathway, and not the ones that just one straight down singly. I tested going forward from the other side and I got through just fine. But coming from the area after obtaining the red key, on the opposite side, there is no way to time it. Anyways, it's just frustrating and lame. Thanks for the replies. I was in a frustrated mood all day because I'm really gassy. TMI.

Check this demo out. (It'll play back with Doom, Doom95, Chocolate Doom or PrBoom/+.)

ev14-red.zip

By the way... map31 has a bug: the Yellow Key is set as "Multi", so that it doesn't appear while playing SP and you cannot complete the map! :| Did "TNT Team" know beta-testing?

bimlanders said:

I'm going to guess that when you ran through that crushing area the first time you moved too slowly, which could easily trigger the crushers into a pattern of movement which would be impassable when trying to go back through.

Ismaele said:

By the way... map31 has a bug: the Yellow Key is set as "Multi", so that it doesn't appear while playing SP and you cannot complete the map! :| Did "TNT Team" know beta-testing?

This is very well documented. It is indeed an error, though you can actually complete the map without the yellow key.

Team TNT knew about the problem, and sent id a patch for the level (there are also some errors in the nodes, so the replacement map should be loaded as a whole), but this was never implemented or released by id.

http://www.teamtnt.com/bugfixes.htm

Creaphis said:

I'm going to guess that when you ran through that crushing area the first time you moved too slowly, which could easily trigger the crushers into a pattern of movement which would be impassable when trying to go back through.

I wasn't aware that going through the first time too slowly would trigger such a response. And if I already saved, I'm pretty much screwed. That is a really cheap device to employ against the player. After all, Doom isn't strictly a puzzle game. I have found some cheapness in later levels during TNT where you have to find a wall to shoot or you can't continue and finish the level. Such obscurities need to be regulated to secrets. I'm talking about The Mill level, where you have to find the spot in the wall to shoot so all the enemies will start coming through the teleports. I never would have figured that out of it wasn't for gamefaqs. Wouldn't it be difficult enough having your movement through the area trigger this event? I hate running around wasting my whole morning trying to solve an unfair puzzle. Other than those complaints, I'm really enjoying TNT as a whole.

Grazza said:

This is very well documented. It is indeed an error, though you can actually complete the map without the yellow key.

Team TNT knew about the problem, and sent id a patch for the level (there are also some errors in the nodes, so the replacement map should be loaded as a whole), but this was never implemented or released by id.

http://www.teamtnt.com/bugfixes.htm

Yeah... I noticed several visual glitches, like HOM effects and "slime trails"!

How can I complete map31 without the Yellow Key? I wandered for a very long time till the moment I lost patient and opened the map on Doom builder: I couldn't find any way to go forth without the Yellow Key!

bimlanders said:

I wasn't aware that going through the first time too slowly would trigger such a response. And if I already saved, I'm pretty much screwed. That is a really cheap device to employ against the player. After all, Doom isn't strictly a puzzle game. I have found some cheapness in later levels during TNT where you have to find a wall to shoot or you can't continue and finish the level. Such obscurities need to be regulated to secrets. I'm talking about The Mill level, where you have to find the spot in the wall to shoot so all the enemies will start coming through the teleports. I never would have figured that out of it wasn't for gamefaqs. Wouldn't it be difficult enough having your movement through the area trigger this event? I hate running around wasting my whole morning trying to solve an unfair puzzle. Other than those complaints, I'm really enjoying TNT as a whole.

I am currently playing "Final DooM: Evilution" too and I am finding also a lot of gameplay flaws, like doors/switches that don't look like doors/switches, as well as shootable switches and such... Moreover the health balance often is unfair!

I consider Casali brothers' "Final DooM: The Plutonia Experiment" much better than TNT.WAD: the levels from Plutonia.WAD are more enjoyable than the maps from TNT.WAD! Is "Plutonia 2" as good as Casali's .WAD?

Theres some bitch ass trick where you have to run over certain parts fast at first or you fuck them up and they can go in a random order. If this happens, you're basically toast.
Look for the lines that trigger them to descend, and run over those as fast as possible.

Well there's an uploaded demo anyways. Check that out.

Ismaele said:
How can I complete map31 without the Yellow Key? I wandered for a very long time till the moment I lost patient and opened the map on Doom builder: I couldn't find any way to go forth without the Yellow Key!

You can check the UV Speed demos for the level at COMPET-N.

Is "Plutonia 2" as good as Casali's .WAD?

I would definitely recommend it to someone who enjoyed Plutonia!