Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireSeraphim

A question apon the method of building water tunnels using portals (Skulltag)

It has come to My understanding that in order to make proper Water Tunnels, I have to use Portals. but how do I make fully fuctional portals?

Can some kindly please inform me on how to make fully functional portals? I am well aware that members of this site are spitefully ignoring me because they believe that I am an absolute amateur who has no right whatsoever to be even on this site in the first place. of course you must realize the reason why people (like myself) ask questions upon the subject of designing maps for is so they can stop being a absolute amateur and (Hopefully) become professional map designers. The information that I seek is not unreasonable. But I am well aware that the information that I seek has no pre-existing tutorials for it. (Yes, I have utilize the power of the search engine known as Google. Alas, with no helpful results) nor does this site have any threads that are helpful and/or informative upon the subject matter. And if I have offended anyone with this post, then I sincerely apologize for the offense.

My method of typing and word usage is indeed heavily influenced by the science fiction authors of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century (I.E Jules Verne, Herbert George Wells, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Edgar Rice Burrough)

Do I honestly need to be stubborn and persistant in order to have an anwser? Can you please be reasonable and anwser my question?.

Please don't take personal offense. Our silence is not due to ill will; we're all just incredibly lazy. Now, I don't know anything about ZDoom portals but if you can describe in more specific detail what you're hoping to achieve then someone with more experience should be able to help you get started.

@Creaphis:You are hereby forgiven by me.

I am actually trying to make underground water tunnels in a map that I am working on, I may have to post a Youtube video from some other First Person Shooter, Like Quake or Turok so you'll understand what I am trying to do. I have also seen a few DOOM mods utilize this trick to make underground water tunnels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H8bIZx11rM&feature=related
The beginning of final level of quake is a example, but not a very good one.

You don't really have to use portals, unless you want to achieve an illusion of true 3D.

The only thing you need to do is create a dummy sector (a sector which is located outside of the map), put thing 9045 (deep water thing) into the sector, and set the heights accordingly.

When setting the heights, make sure the ceiling height is the same size as the sector you want the deep water to be in. The floor height corresponds to how deep the water will be, so set the floor height to any height you want (as long as its not going to give any HOM's in other sectors).

Next, assign one of the linedefs in the dummy sector with a thing action of 209 (which is the transfer heights action), which will transfer the heights of the dummy sector to the sector with a corresponding sector tag.

You'll need multiple dummy sectors to make a decent underwater tunnel. For your benefit, I whipped up a practice wad for your benefit:

Link: http://www.filefront.com/14074645/watertunneldemo.wad

Looking at the demo may be easier, as it will explain a little bit better. I added coloured lighting just to spice it up a little. Hope this helps!