Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Hexen: Edge of Chaos Planning Release

The Hexen Doom 3 TC has once again updated their website with news on their progress. Last time around they were desperately trying to get new level designers as most of their old ones had abandoned them. Now they are reporting that 3 new level designers have joined the team, and display 15 new screenshots. They also declare that they will have a several map demo out before the end of this year.

I'll be honest and say that while it looks impressive, I'm a little disappointed. It looks to be a retread of Hexen in Doom 3, which is perfectly okay, but I was hoping to see an expansion of the Hexen concept. That means new weapons, classes and abilities for each class. Right now it looks like they ported the Cleric from Hexen, but I was hoping to see something truly new.

I'm hoping this doesn't stick to the 4 weapons per player class limit.

Snarboo said:

I'm hoping this doesn't stick to the 4 weapons per player class limit.

Actually I've never seen anyone add any good or even fun weapons to Hexen. All they do is manage to fuck up the balance.

DuckReconMajor said:

If this turns out to be good I'd consider buying Doom 3 just to play it.

Lüt said:

Wow, I think I'm finally going to have to get Doom3.

Echo to these sentiments (although in my case I'd need a new video card to boot). Hexen deserved a proper sequel and not the BS Raven threw to us.

Hah, well if there's one thing I liked about Hexen 2, it was the ability to completely destroy the entire first hub. Beyond that, I don't really play it for anything else.

Unlike the typical ZDoom mod, will this keep the wretched atmosphere and tilted balance of Doom 3? By that I mean the slow, footstepping player, and powerful melee monsters who appear all of a sudden. Complete with loudness. As well as hellknight equivalents.

Will it be creepy? To admit, Heretic and Hexen are the least creepy games ever made (except Necro from Hexen, and not counting the sequels), but I would like a change.

This looks damned awesome, but I hope it plays well too. Call me a blasphemer, but I've never really cared much for Hexen's gameplay -- confusing puzzles and repetitive weapons and doggamn slaughtars. I'd like to see more RPG-ish elements in the mod, too, though that's easy to forgive as long as the mod's fun to play regardless. Question is: can they do it?

Now I want to see a Strife mod next. :P

Xaser said:

Now I want to see a Strife mod next. :P

OH GOD YES PLEASE! :P *explodes over the idea of fighting Inquisitors and using the Sigil in the Doom 3 engine*

Yes this does indeed look awesome, this combined with Classic Doom 3 will probably make me end up buying... I was never a huge fan of Hexen either though, but still, worth playing through I'm sure.

I've always liked the look of this one and I was sad to hear they were desperate for new mappers and such. I'm glad to see they've managed to get things rolling along again.

I like the way this is turning out. It looks like a nice, albeit darker, version of HeXen. Pretty gritty looking too.

I was quite eager to see more of this but I'm afraid I'm a bit disapointed. I don't find those 15 screenshots impressive at all. They seem under-detailed and "fake" if you see what I mean. Maybe it's a question of lighting and textures, I don't know.

DuckReconMajor said:

I liked Hexen 2. What was wrong with it?

Might even install it on this computer and try to beat it again.

I liked it too, I just recently beat it and the Portal expansion. That game really needed a map...That was the only frustrating part about it that I can think of.

AgentSpork said:

Yeah, it doesn't play annoying sounds/music now. :D

I miss the music ;_;