Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

Citadel Station - A MAP01 based on System Shock

I've been making a more detailed map for a couple of weeks and have both run out of ideas and gotten tired of endless texture alignment, so I felt like making something new and simple.

I started off making the entrance room from System Shock, and found myself continuing on to make the whole healing suite, storerooms, cyberspace port, parts of the first quadrant and the maintenance entrance. I did look at the SS game map to get a few bits right, but it's mostly just whatever I remember.

It's in Boom format. There are no difficulty settings. It's not sposed to be easy, and ammo probably gets a bit tight in the exit room encounter. Anyway, let me know what you think before I upload to idgames.

Download:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WNPILY6X

More Screenshots:
click - click - click - click - click

I don't know if you care about these things, but here's a first try demo.

Since it's a remake map I won't comment on layout and architecture, but the rocket launcher room could use some rockets changed into shells, and the mancubus trap could use a little armor before it, just in case.

Ah, I see what you mean. I used the chainsaw on the big bunch of Demons, and the Berserk pack is there for them too, but running out of shells for the maintenance passage probably isn't ideal. I'll balance that a bit better.

Thanks for the demo, that's infinitely useful in seeing the similarities and differences in our runs.

Super Jamie said:

and the Berserk pack is there for them too

Heh, yeah, I enjoy tysoning, but first and foremost I (and some other people too) consider berserk a healing item, so I saved it in case I'd end up in a dire need of health. Thus no berserking any monsters for me...

I keep both uses in mind. I placed it there incase people got their ass handed to them by the Arachnotron or Revenant that comes walking around the corner.

I wish there were more options with armor, giving the player 25 or 50 would be good before the Mancs. I actually didn't make a storeroom that was in SS. Maybe I could just fill that with armor bonuses.

Hmmm. I somehow managed to miss this thread entirely. May have to give this a little play.

I loved system shock 2 but never actually played the original.

Now that's an interesting idea for an add-on - System Shock done Doom-style. It was a great game that could really suck you in, but I thought the actual game engine was horribly clunky; also, true 3D features notwithstanding, the levels were very blocky and Wolfensteinish.

They were, though that made it easier to make a simple Doom variant of :P

The thoughts of at least a partial TC did occur to me, though that would be alot of work and response to even this has hardly been earth-shattering. I seem to recall seeing a System Shock textures wad somewhere, maybe /idgames/grahpics?

As Jodwin did, I recorded a demo of my first try on this map. Click here to download it. Don't expect anything spectacular.

I have not played a single System Shock game in my life, but I liked the level anyway.

That was pretty fun. I think the blue key lifts are s1 and should be sr? (repeatable)

Finally got around to having a play on this map. And I thought it was pretty neat. Nice simple layouts and gameplay, but still a bit of a challenge. I liked this map.

There were a few misaligned textures, but nothing very major, I am a bit of a perfectionist like that.

Nice work.

Oh. And don't just stop at one level. Feel free to remake the entire of System Shock for Doom. :P

I for one won't complain if you do.

Cool, thanks :) I wasn't too concerned about textures. I think the tekgreens in the Manc room okay, and the two secret STARs are intentionally messed up so they catch your eye. Where else did you notice?

I was actually thinking how to go about making some other parts of the level. The second force bridge switch would be cool, the one where you look down on the bridge and then have to backtrack a little to reach it. Perhaps it would get boring as you got upstairs into D'arcy's office and that, that was a fairly story-driven part with realistic non-functional architecture, maybe not too good for an action game like Doom? Like the whole bathroom-with-toilet thing in early 90s maps.

Apart from a few bridges, System Shock's layout is really quite good. I don't think there's any room-over-room so it's easy to accurately translate into Doom. I finished the game once many years ago (I was like 11 when it came out) and don't remember an awful lot past floor 1, which I have since replayed like a million times. So perhaps I will continue one day :) The map may be used as a base if anyone else feels like continuing.

I'd probably have alot more luck remaking Ultima Underworld. The troll settlement on L4 would make a great dark Baron trap, and the Dwarven King's room on L2 is perfect for a Cyberdemon encounter. Sir Rodrick could be replaced by a few Archviles in that big multi-tiered hall of his with the thin pillars. Maybe you have no idea what I am on about :P

Edit: Also, rad demo mork! You really get some infighting going, I thought you were done for after you opened that blast door and ducked behind the cacos.

Super Jamie said:

Where else did you notice?

In the startroom, the StarGr textures on the walls were a bit all over. That was the most noticeable one to me.

Not to be critical or anything.

I loved system shock 2, but I never actually played the original. Am curious now to play it.

It's considered abandoned, as Looking Glass Studios went bust in 2000.

I've never played SS2. I should probably get around to that hey :P

Super Jamie said:

It's considered abandoned, as Looking Glass Studios went bust in 2000.

I POST WAREZ

I'm not quite sure you should be posting links to abandonwarez downloads. I know the moderators aren't too fond of warez but I'm not quite sure how they feel about abandonware.

Yeah, I know. Abandonware isn't warez tho.

Warez is pirated copies of commercially available products which violates copyright law. Abandonware is a download of an otherwise unavailable piece of software which is not for sale and nobody wishes to pursue copyright over. The TTLG FAQ states System Shock 1 is not for sale anywhere.

******'s pretty good with not posting downloads of protected software, so I hope it will be ok.

Super Jamie said:

Yes. Yes you definitely should.

Cool cool, link removed.

Out of interest, some people claim that the 2006 clause #2 of US copyright law exemptions makes games for DOS and other systems "no longer manufactured or no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace" legal to distribute as abandonware.

Super Jamie said:
Out of interest, some people claim that the 2006 clause #2 of US copyright law exemptions makes games for DOS and other systems "no longer manufactured or no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace" legal to distribute as abandonware.

Being abandoned is one thing, but being for DOS is another. While both may occur simultaneously, many retain a reputation as commercial products, are sold with DOSBox included and directly offered to customers, contradicting the assumption you mentioned.