Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
demonstein4d

unfitting music in doom

everyone likes putting the music in doom that gets their adreniline pumping. but have you ever thought of putting music in doom that sticks out? for example, i put long time by boston, no froeplay intro, and it sounded great! march of the pigs still owns though. go ahead and try it

demonstein4d said:

everyone likes putting the music in doom that gets their adreniline pumping. but have you ever thought of putting music in doom that sticks out? for example, i put long time by boston, no froeplay intro, and it sounded great! march of the pigs still owns though. go ahead and try it

This is a track that NEEDS to be put into a Hell Revealed Style map.

http://www.laurasmidiheaven.com/cgi-bin/forcedownload.cgi?id=001131626418

Good on ya if you know what game its from.

Reaper978 said:

Haha, sonic the hedgehog...

:P I only discovered this track after playing the Sega megadrive ultimate collection. Soon as I heard it I said " OMG this would be awesome with Doom " lol

What track is that? I cant seem to play it.

As for unfitting music...Pokemon music!

EDIT: It worked perfectly fine, Windows was just being a bitch. Clearly the only level that will work on is...a chemical plant!

Oooh Christ yes!

Some people have no clue how to score maps and just rip tunes they thought sounded cool in somebody else's. I've heard tunes from Void used in totally ill-fitting environments before. Also an incredibly frequent offender is the tune that's in the first map of hc092604 (Hellcore). I would love to know what that song is though...

The most stunning recent example that comes to mind is some server host on Zdaemon was throwing a bunch of shitty R&B mp3s into WADs and making them mandatory downloads to join the server. Not only were these music packs the worst thing in the world to Doom to but each compliation was 25-50meg too.

Assorted offspring mp3's put in a wad just because the creator knows how to.

It was OK though, he made a standard Zdoom side-opening door and all his friends congratulated him on being the "ultimate doom hacker" because he "hacked the engine" to make a door open sideways, which had "never been done before".

deathbringer said:

Assorted offspring mp3's put in a wad just because the creator knows how to.

It was OK though, he made a standard Zdoom side-opening door and all his friends congratulated him on being the "ultimate doom hacker" because he "hacked the engine" to make a door open sideways, which had "never been done before".

Haha, that reminds me of a dude on NewDoom many many years ago who claimed that he had gotten Doomsday to play Wolf3D maps but wouldn't provide any proof of the claim.

He also said that John Romero was the sole concept creator for Doom, and that it was inspired by Dawn of the Dead and only stated "I have my sorceces" [sic] to support the claim. I linked to and quoted the interview from the 10 Years of Doom page here, where Romero explains about how the original plan was an Aliens game and then they decided to do something else for more creative freedom; so then he claimed that Romero still came up with the idea, where it says very clearly in that interview that Carmack was the one that suggested the hell theme...

Gotta love idiots on the internet that pretend to know more than they do.

Nixot said:

Play E1M8 on /fast and play the Benny Hill theme. Gets me every time.

I am guilty of this

GreyGhost said:

Heh - most classical music. Try using the Blue Danube Waltz in anything but a jokewad.

I'd have thought given its history it'd work quite well if you had something that looked like this:

:)

deathbringer said:

he made a standard Zdoom side-opening door and all his friends congratulated him on being the "ultimate doom hacker" because he "hacked the engine" to make a door open sideways, which had "never been done before".

I made side-opening doors online on Zdaemon (which actually IS an achievement)!

GreyGhost said:

Heh - most classical music. Try using the Blue Danube Waltz in anything but a jokewad.

If I remember rightly, it was used for the (very violent) super secret level in STRAIN.
Mind you, some 20th century classical music is pretty stirring stuff - like Stravinsky's Rite of Spring (ignore the theatrics and skip to 3:30) or Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta.

rf` said:

There is a wad with the Beatles midis.

MAP01 of the first 32in24 had a beatles track I think right? I don't know any beatles songs off hand but the tune definitely sounded like something I've heard before. Pretty sure it is beatles.

Nixot said:

Play E1M8 on /fast and play the Benny Hill theme. Gets me every time.

I lol'ed just reading this.

In retrospect, the most ridiculous song I ever heard in a Doom WAD was "It's Raining Men" in Beta: One Nerd And His Doom.

...Whatever happened to Hyena, anyway? I wanted to see more of those.

JohnnyRancid said:

MAP01 of the first 32in24 had a beatles track I think right? I don't know any beatles songs off hand but the tune definitely sounded like something I've heard before. Pretty sure it is beatles.

Yeah, can't remember which tune offhand though. That WAD also has Britney Spears' Toxic on one map ;>

JohnnyRancid said:

Nope - it's Light My Fire from Jim Morrison and The Doors.

Heh - would have helped if I looked at the right wads.

32in24-3 Map06 - I Wanna Hold Your Hand
32in24-3 Map17 - Lady Madonna
32in24-4 Map08 - Daydreamer

Plus one other in 32in24-3 that I can't place right now.